Vanadium... ***?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my last 2 Triton tests have shown an increasing level of Vanadium. I have gone from 0 to 5 to 15.

Anyone have an idea where this could be coming from or things to check on?

Salt has been Red Sea Black/Blue (swapped to Blue recently) and a tiny bit of HW Marinemix and TM Pro. From tests i've seen, the Red Sea and TMP salts have very minimal Vanadium (0-2) and the only waterchanges I have done are for dripping new fish or dips of corals. Maybe 20-30g changed over the last 2-3months (165g system volume).

I'm kind of stumped.

Here is my data: http://1drv.ms/1Df0y6d (I am working on adding more neat stuff to the spreadsheet - feel free to copy it for yourself :xd: )

Food consists of PE Mysis, H2Ocean Reef Caviar (started feeding in the last month or two - may be suspect), KZ Sponge Power (could be suspect also, but dosage has stayed the same since day 1), and in the last 2 weeks Acropower.

Lastly, at what level should I freak out and start doing WC to bring the Vanadium down? Anyone have a tank with high Vanadium and no side effects?

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every posted test i've seen here and other places, all show 0 vanadium. I even started dosing vanadium and results still come back 0. So my best guess would be your 3A/B is adding more than your tank uses.

If it were coming from foods and other supplements, you would be seeing at least a few test results from people that would show some levels other than 0. I use sponge power and my results are still 0 and thats with dosing vanadium in addition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a mystery. I have had a few fragile Acro RTN in the past week so I am wondering whats going on. Could be my elevated Mag, Lithium, or Vanadium. Sent in a triton test a few days ago.

Anyone have any ideas on the Vanadium?

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high vanadium in both my recent tests. I too had a few pieces start to stn so I'm wondering if that's the culprit myself.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have high vanadium. I read where aquaroche is believed to leach vanadium. I do have a large piece of aquaroche in my tank so I assumed it was from that. I don't know if any of the other ceramic structures are known to do this.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering if food recently put into our tanks can skew the ICP tests? I think from now on I'm going to not feed a couple of days before I send in for the next test.
Gene

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for any rusting stainless steel items just in case. Some grades of SS can have vanadium.

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.. I just Got my results back from my first test. My vanadium is also elevatet..... I did find a little pice of metal, i guess, in my "Living sand" bed about 2 weeks after i did put it in the tank.... It was "Fiji- pink" super fine.... So mabey YOU guys also have some kind of now wantet items laying ind the sand bed?

Just a thourght?

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely, my last triton test showed my vanadium disappeared entirely. Also had elevated tin and aluminum which have both gone down since the previous test. I had a fan in the sump and the cage was rusting so I removed it. I'm guessing that was my source.

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely, my last triton test showed my vanadium disappeared entirely. Also had elevated tin and aluminum which have both gone down since the previous test. I had a fan in the sump and the cage was rusting so I removed it. I'm guessing that was my source.

Mine mysteriously disappeared as well. Likely GFO/AL99 removed it. No idea what the source was.

TankRazr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every posted test i've seen here and other places, all show 0 vanadium. I even started dosing vanadium and results still come back 0. So my best guess would be your 3A/B is adding more than your tank uses.

If it were coming from foods and other supplements, you would be seeing at least a few test results from people that would show some levels other than 0. I use sponge power and my results are still 0 and thats with dosing vanadium in addition.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.....but wanted to keep question in a thread already dedicated to Vanadium.

I was curious what are you using to dose Vanadium? My test results are showing it depleted.

Thanks

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 1.2 ml per month extra of vanadium to a 146 gallon system.

Also extra dosing;

Sr 11ml /day

Mn 5.52ml /6 days

I 4.62ml /week

Zn 3.08ml /2 weeks

P5140044_zpsmbn3jode.jpg

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reports have always shown 0. I do the 1 time adjustment based on the latest triton test for my 180g system and was 1ml of Triton Vanadium. I took that and divided by how many months between tests and came out to monthly adjustment of .25ml. However on the next triton test it still showed as 0. So my plan was just to keep doubling the monthly adjustment after each test result until it registers.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Triton Lab ECS-D page,
"Error Correction Sheet - Dosage"
they tell us how much of a maintenance dose to administer.
example;
Mn: We recommend a daily maintenance dose of 0.92ml. If this dose is very low, then this can be alternatively be dosed weekly (daily dose x7).

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better late then never.....If you are using bacteria dosing like in a zeovit system Vanadium can be found in the bacteria you are using. It’s used in part of the process in lowering your ammonia/nitrates. However, when the bacteria die off faster then they replicate [lack of food and other factors], then you are adding more, your soluble levels of Vandium will go up, other things like Cyanobacteria will then use it to grow. It’s one of the reasons you have to be careful about avoiding too much dosing of zeobac once you get it established in your system

Last edited:

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better late then never.....If you are using bacteria dosing like in a zeovit system Vanadium can be found in the bacteria you are using. It’s used in part of the process in lowering your ammonia/nitrates. However, when the bacteria die off faster then they replicate [lack of food and other factors], then you are adding more, your soluble levels of Vandium will go up, other things like Cyanobacteria will then use it to grow. It’s one of the reasons you have to be careful about avoiding too much dosing of zeobac once you get it established in your system

Glad I found this I just posted my results from icp test and I have elevated leveled of lithium and vanadium and I also run a zeovit tank and have noticed cyano in some spots on the surface of the sand. Perhaps I need to cut back on the amount of zeobac I dose daily

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 151 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back