OP
RMS18

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd share a couple pictures of the black cap aka captain jack sparrow. He is very hard to get pictures of! Loves his black worms and mysis.
e8704d05d0345c5d387ee79d0d0084f8.jpg
77419663058ff706832b4791fa2d26f9.jpg

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just read through the entire thread. Truly awesome and inspiring. Keep it up. He looks great!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea he's a fatty [emoji23]

I've done 4 more procedures for a lfs by me. Every fish made it and healed.

OK, that does it. You're now my "go to" whenever someone has a fish with a swim bladder problem. :D

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had success with fairy wrasses whonget this? I am not sure what to do with my new rhomboid who appears to have developed a swim bladder issue. If decompression is the source can the venting still work?

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had success with fairy wrasses whonget this? I am not sure what to do with my new rhomboid who appears to have developed a swim bladder issue. If decompression is the source can the venting still work?

Do you have a picture? How long have you had the fish?

I have not performed venting on this fish before... Wrasses are more sensitive to stress and not as hardy. I would make sure that if you perform the procedure it be done right and his qt tank be very clean with the right set up for him. I'd also recommend to have a range of medications with access to new salt water quickly.

Last edited:

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told and now believe he has a spinal injury and not a swim bladder issue (he can control his buoyancy even though he does swim vertically or upside down now)

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a 25 gauge needle be too large for a 2” wrasse?
Imo yes. There is a huge difference between a 25 gauge and a insulin syringe from 29 to 30 gauge. When the puncture is made you want it to be as seamless as possible. Insulin syringes are also easier to draw back, less resistance. If you need I can throw a couple of syringes in the mail for you.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good video and description, i have done this numerous times, not every time was a success but it was better than not trying.
one thing i do differently tho (generally on larger fish) is i use a thin cloth soaked with tank water to cover most of the fish as an easy way to hold the fish down, i also find they dont flap around as much when they have the cloth over them

and always be careful around needles

+1. I've found small acupuncture needles do a great job as well.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo yes. There is a huge difference between a 25 gauge and a insulin syringe from 29 to 30 gauge. When the puncture is made you want it to be as seamless as possible. Insulin syringes are also easier to draw back, less resistance. If you need I can throw a couple of syringes in the mail for you.

Unless there is another option of sourcing these needles locally. I'd sure appreciate that. Where are you located?

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's 2018, and this is a sticky, but now i finally read it.
First of all, WOW great job!
I have a suggestion, while doing this fish can flap around and make the operation hard. What if you use clove oil? At high dosage it is a humane fish euthenition method but at low dosage it acts as an anesthesia. Operation would be much easier.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back