Venustus angel, How reef safe?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS got a couple of juvis in and may want to get one just dont want it attacking my crocea clam or gmk zoas, occassional sps/acro nipping is fine by me. Anyone have long term experience with this species?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My LFS got a couple of juvis in and may want to get one just dont want it attacking my crocea clam or gmk zoas, occassional sps/acro nipping is fine by me. Anyone have long term experience with this species?
Unfortunately not reef safe and will go after softies and polyps on stony coral

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams will be nipped, Zoa’s are hit or miss corals. LPS polyps are also a feast for them. Id avoid them and go for a more reef safe Angel (Genicanthus angels are good alternatives if you have a 4’ tank).

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang i thought they were better being paracentropyge, best to just get a watanabe or bellus then, thank you both

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody knows. Some dwarfs are fine and some are not. They usually pick for me, but I usually can live with it. For me, they usually pick less if they are very well fed. I have had tangs that picked more as they got larger.

Watanabei and Bellus are different. The Genicanthus angelfish are completely reef safe and I have never seen them pick on anything... and I currently have some and have had a lot over my time in the hobby.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe is a fuzzy term... I would say they are as reef safe as any dwarf angel though. If you have clams, zoas, and LPS corals you really like I would stay away.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back