Vermetid Snails Control

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

So I know it's very cumbersome to get rid of these snails - no easy way. I don't mind them so as long as they're not bothering my corals. My caulastrea coral has them growing up the stony structure and these are ones I am concerned about - how can I remove these to avoid irritating the coral? I have just been snapping the stalks off but does that do anything? Is it a bad idea to take coral out of the water and take a file to the surface and sand them off?? Other locations I just snap the stalk off once a week or 2 weeks.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too, I’ve been taking a pair of strong tweezers and smashing as many as I can. If it’s feasible to remove your rock and glue/smash them it’s easier then in tank. Just breaking the tube doesn’t do it. You've gotta expose the actual snail inside the base

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too, I’ve been taking a pair of strong tweezers and smashing as many as I can. If it’s feasible to remove your rock and glue/smash them it’s easier then in tank. Just breaking the tube doesn’t do it. You've gotta expose the actual snail inside the base

I am always nervous about taking live rock out of a tank - as I have heard it isn't good... I need to find a sharp metal item I can stab them with. I've never exposed one to see what they look like... To be honest, I think everyone has these dang snails.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue light laser called the Gatling. I think it is 3 watts but looking around now it looks like you can get 10 watts as well. They run between $40 and $200. If I can see the base of the snail I can burn him through the glass. Once the laser is focused on them you can heat them crackle. I have never accidentally damaged fish with it and as long as I am wearing safety glasses I am really not worried about hurting myself. However, anyone in the room should have eye protection as well. That said, I have plenty of snails that I cant get to with the laser.

I had a recent surge of them after removing a green wrasse, a couple tangs, several emerald crabs and an pin cushion urchin. I believe something was eating them and my vote is the wrasse.

For what it is worth, I don't hesitate to take my live rock out of the tank as long as I am sure I can get it back where it came from. A butter knife works great for scraping them off and super glue is a sure fire as well. The only time I have a rock concern is if there is excessive sponge growth on the bottom of them. Most sponges cant handle exposure to air.

Back