Vermetid Snails?? Get a wrasse.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share some success I've had with eradicating vermetid snails. I have a 2 tanks, a 40 AIO and a 20 AIO. The 40 is over a year old and the 20 is fairly new. I've always had the occasional vermetid snail in the 40 but they never spread and always just disappeared when one would pop up. I never thought anything of it until I set up my 20 gallon. I used some rock from my 40 to help with the cycle. After about a month the new tank was infested with vermetid snails. It kinda clicked that the snails never took off in my 40 gallon because I have a sixline in it. So I added a yellow banded possum wrasse to my 20. 2 weeks later, snails are gone. This may be common knowledge, but I wanted to share my success, incase someone is battling these pests in their tank.

OP
OP
JayStro81

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse keeps my tank clean! I’m a firm believer when stocking a reef tank I always make sure there’s a worker tang and worker wrasse. They tag team the live rock clean!
Totally agree. Unfortunately, I don't have a tank big enough for a tang. But my blenny does a pretty good job.

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share some success I've had with eradicating vermetid snails. I have a 2 tanks, a 40 AIO and a 20 AIO. The 40 is over a year old and the 20 is fairly new. I've always had the occasional vermetid snail in the 40 but they never spread and always just disappeared when one would pop up. I never thought anything of it until I set up my 20 gallon. I used some rock from my 40 to help with the cycle. After about a month the new tank was infested with vermetid snails. It kinda clicked that the snails never took off in my 40 gallon because I have a sixline in it. So I added a yellow banded possum wrasse to my 20. 2 weeks later, snails are gone. This may be common knowledge, but I wanted to share my success, incase someone is battling these pests in their tank.
Just what I was searching for they are beginning to take over my tank and I want a natural predator to take care of them

Attachments

• 16224497317237989452147572182255.jpg
    16224497317237989452147572182255.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 579

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s great news that a Wetmorella wrasse will effectively do the same job as a Pseudocheilinus (six line) against vermetid snails. Possum wrasses are so much more docile.

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s great news that a Wetmorella wrasse will effectively do the same job as a Pseudocheilinus (six line) against vermetid snails. Possum wrasses are so much more docile.
Will yellow wrasse or flasher wrasse deal with them do you know or melaranus

OP
OP
JayStro81

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, my sixline isn't aggressive at all. It was the first fish in my 40g and has never shown aggression to any of the fish added after.

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dusky wrasse looks after worms and small snails. Thankfully leaving the bigger snails and shrimp alone

OP
OP
JayStro81

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will yellow wrasse or flasher wrasse deal with them do you know or melaranus
It's hard to say. Each fish has its own personality and there are always exceptions. I've been fortunate to have 2 wrasses that worked for me. But that may not be the case with every wrasse. You should have better luck with the yellow wrasse, I don't believe that flashers are big on pest control

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, funny. I never actually realized until now that my vermetid population has disappeared since I added a yellow coris wrasse. Had tons of them and often saw their gross little slime nets, but haven't seen them the last couple of months. Yet another reason to love wrasses :D

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanarus and yellow Coris have done nothing to manage vermetids.

I've tried LOTS of things. Can only suggest superglue gel to manage them.
Seems like a messy inconvenience lol everything in my tank I like to keep as natural and self seficient as I can, my trochus are breeding like crazy now so hopefully soon enough I won't have to clean the glass as often :cool: :D

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live rock that has a lot of vermetid snails that send out sweepers. My possum yellow banded wrasse hunts all the time looking at the rock but I don't see him tackling any of those pest vermetids. I am going to purchase 6 bubble bee snails for my 30 gallon to see if that will help. Is 6 too many or few for a 30 gallon with 30 lbs of live rock? Thanks

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow banded does not even glance at vermetids lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back