Very simple/basic cost comparison vs water changes/dosing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Was/Is this spreadsheet useful?

• Total voters

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a spreadsheet to compare the expected cost of using the Triton method vs different % water changes. Here's a link, it's editable and downlaodable by anyone with the link. I don't claim to have any knowledge of the system or its costs aside from what I put into the calculator.

If you know what your daily dosage is for Triton, you can enter it and get a calculation, otherwise put your tank size in the top left and it will calculate Triton's suggested dose amount. [Based upon 2mL/26 gallons]

I hope this may be of interest to someone else.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-7FOhdVhzr-tYJp3NzLF41F9b_F6ezJoDBnKvMiifhA/edit?usp=sharing

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has suggestions on what to add, I would be happy to make it more complex. I'm an accountant and like messing around with spreadsheets, this was intended to be a bare bones baseline comparison.

KevinRosso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be 33% more expensive to run Triton on my 60 gallon system per year. Well worth the cost of not having to do water changes! Thanks for the link

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not including your typical 2-part dosing as well, or trace element dosing or RO/DI filter replacement and city water charges.

To better approximate the correct dosage amount, i'm interested in knowing what Triton method users are currently dosing [per 26 Gallons].

Of course, a high-demand coral-filled system will use more than the 2ml/26gallons, but what's a more realistic number?

I set the spreadsheet up for myself to decide whether I should go Triton, and I have decided to buy the Triton for other methods supplements. I will be using a DIY algae reactor since I can't keep the chaeto to the second chamber in my biocube without backing everything up, or having chaeto strands flying all over my DT.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you are at it, add a comparison to the ATI Essentials method. Like the Triton, but a bit cheaper I believe.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to see what people's final values are once you input everything. I am in the process of setting up a 120g system and I am considering Triton and ATI right now and that comes with that.

As people fill it out if you would type your results and what size tank etc that would be interesting.

Also the Triton method wouldn't necessarily eliminate the need for RODI replacement filters. We still need RODI for top offs etc. Or is there some magic that I haven't heard of yet?

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true about filter costs, there would still be a cost, but much less than running 10-20% of your system volume through the filters every week [+ top off].

What I meant above is the increased need for filter replacements based on increased usage. I've seen it suggested that the filters lose efficiency over a period of time regardless of whether they're used or not, so that's another factor to consider.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me: 32 Gallon Biocube [~26 Gallons]
Instant Ocean, $47 for 200 Gallons of mix @ 2mL/26Gallons

Triton Cost: $37.44/year [3.12/mo]
- Triton Element dose only

+ water tests and trace elements as needed

Water change Cost: Salt Cost only

10% weekly: $29.33/year [2.44/mo]
20% weekly: $58.66/year [4.89/mo

+ 2 part Dosing and Water production [City Water]

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in this as well. I'm setting up my new 200g and I'm curious what the cost would be on that scale. Initially it will be full of sticks so I can't imagine I'll be going through that much alk and ca.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for updating the sheet. I'm really interested in seeing what people find using this.

pendraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to Triton for my 300g system. There were some items I left out in my own comparisons with RC water changes - ICP test kits and supplements per results. I ended up buying 6 supplements at approximately $40 average. I used all 1000ml of K.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to Triton for my 300g system. There were some items I left out in my own comparisons with RC water changes - ICP test kits and supplements per results. I ended up buying 6 supplements at approximately $40 average. I used all 1000ml of K.

Out of curiosity, what is your current dose per 26g? I'm trying to gather how realistic the 2mL/26gallons guideline is. Whether it's a baseline/starting dose, or if it's more or less adequate?

Also, being a user of Triton, aside from testing and supplemental dosing, do you have any suggestions on how to more accurately approximate the cost of Triton?

It's hard to estimate how much [if any] of the supplements will be needed as each tank's chemistry will show differently in the ICP testing.

Thanks!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I was looking for after watching the brs videos. I haven't looked too deep yet, but I guess my bug question revolves around the big doses of calcium and alkalinity. I'm still wrapping my head around the various additives, trying to correlate what I'm doing now with good success, to how Triton replaces elements. Thanks!

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Computer died. Going to put necessary info. If someone can run figures would be interested in knowing.

I use Fritz Salt: $63.99 for 205 gallons

Dosing 15ml of BRS 2 part daily.

I do about 12% water changes bi weekly. For conservative figures, 10% weekly water changes.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdiehm
If your tank is 120Gallons, mixing salt @ $63.99/205 gallons and dosing 15mL a day of each BRS two part [purchased at $25/gallon] with 12% weekly water changes:

Annual cost of dosing + Water changes [not counting RO/DI filters and resin, or water bill usage] approximates $287.09. [$24/mo]

Using Triton @ $52.00/1000mL: [not counting ICP testing, or additional element dosing]

@ suggested Dose [9.2ml/day] Annual Cost = $172.80 ($14.40/mo) (Suggested dose is a starting point)
@ ~twice suggested Dose [20mL/Day] Annual Cost = $374.40 ($31.20/mo)

Lots of assumptions, and it's not at all intended to be all encompassing

upload_2017-11-2_17-25-7.png

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdiehm
If your tank is 120Gallons, mixing salt @ $63.99/205 gallons and dosing 15mL a day of each BRS two part [purchased at $25/gallon] with 12% weekly water changes:

Annual cost of dosing + Water changes [not counting RO/DI filters and resin, or water bill usage] approximates $287.09. [$24/mo]

Using Triton @ $52.00/1000mL: [not counting ICP testing, or additional element dosing]

@ suggested Dose [9.2ml/day] Annual Cost = $172.80 ($14.40/mo) (Suggested dose is a starting point)
@ ~twice suggested Dose [20mL/Day] Annual Cost = $374.40 ($31.20/mo)

Lots of assumptions, and it's not at all intended to be all encompassing

upload_2017-11-2_17-25-7.png

Doesn’t seem like it’s cost beneficial. Not to mention the area I would use as a refuge in is only 6.7 gallons.

jwstephens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the spreadsheet I found it quite useful. Now to find a doser...

Back