Vibrant - What is it actually?

RyanS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post might create a bunch of grief, but whatever....

So, we know that Vibrant isn't snake oil. It actually does perform work/action on algae and water clarity. This has been proven time and time again even though some will argue one way or the other while stating that it has hurt their tanks. It's a little bit of a mixed bag, but by my account the stuff works.

With that said, I think there is much to be known or should be known about the product. I'd like to try to reduce the mystery around the product and really dig in to know what is in it. It doesn't have to be the exact recipe, but I really think we should all know more about this and really anything we put in our tanks given the amount of investments we have all made. If this has been hashed over, please let me know and close the thread.

What I know.

Back of the bottle:
95% Cultured Bacteria Blend <-Check... So, some kind of bacterium with (salt)water
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid) <- Check... an α-amino acid that is used in the biosynthesis of proteins. Food for bacteria while in bottle? Has a PH of 7.4.
.5% Vinegar <- Check... Ph of 2.4. .5% vinegar solution in solution of water gives a ph of 3.58. This level of PH will prevent "bad bacteria" such as botulism.
3.5% Other Ingredients <-Check... What is this? I would think the liquid portion would be included in the 95%. So, this begs to answer this question.

I measured the salinity of Vibrant to be 65ppt or 1.05sg. Obviously higher than our reef aquariums. This makes me question which type of bacteria live in that high of a salinity. My quick research on this lead me to the phyla Cyanobacteria, Proteobacteria, Firmicutes, Actinobacteria, Spirochaetes, and Bacteroidetes.

Other properties to note: Odorless and colorless. Taste (yes I tasted) is something not only like vinegar, but chalky dry tart. It was a strange sensation before I quickly washed my mouth out. It reminded of something like a salt substitute for food. Maybe sodium chloride like or some other kind of salt.

Given the salinity and taste, it makes me wonder what that 3.5% is. I'm wondering if there is some type of synthetic algaecide in this. Being "reef safe", I would think not something made with copper. Given the taste with the salinity level, I'm thinking about some kind of algacidal salt such as Cyanuric chloride.

Anyway, I would love to hear people's thoughts on this and break this mystery of what actually Vibrant is. I do not believe that it is only a "Cultured Bacterial Blend" that is having the success in the tank that I have seen.

I've attached pictures of my tank to demonstrate my experience in a 2 week period of time.

Please share your thoughts.

169994843_2825816320964600_183126228334379294_n.jpg 169576707_777792063138925_2569529110444535706_n.jpg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been discussed countless times, vibrant isn’t gonna give up what’s in it...end of discussion

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's in it other than the obvious but I would not classify it as "snake oil".
It works, but you need to be careful with it. I used it once, it took a long time to get out of my system. Months. I'll carbon dose, but that's it. And I'll stop that when the #'s get down. But not to zero. I'm just not a big fan of throwing "cures" at a tank. Time and patience will take care of most things.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little of this, a little of that, a little of FU kid stop asking questions! They will never give it up. Funny it’s probably so many crazy things it’s not worth explaining or something so simple we could all make it with what we have in the kitchen. Some clarity would be nice they could at least lie to us.

Attachments

• 2B5B572B-8FC1-4B87-8ACC-906000C10D11.jpeg
    2B5B572B-8FC1-4B87-8ACC-906000C10D11.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 168

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant has their own thread on here that has hundreds and hundreds of pages. I’ve read through a lot of it before but it just keeps going UWC are quite active on it. But all I can say is that it contains a heterotrophic bacteria. So basically a bacteria that eats algae. Some think it’s a bacteria that controls nutrients which it is not.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant has their own thread on here that has hundreds and hundreds of pages. I’ve read through a lot of it before but it just keeps going UWC are quite active on it. But all I can say is that it contains a heterotrophic bacteria. So basically a bacteria that eats algae. Some think it’s a bacteria that controls nutrients which it is not.
Then why vinegar?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is used in carbon dosing so I don’t even blink at the thought of it being used in a product. I manually dose vinegar to my tank daily.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is used in carbon dosing so I don’t even blink at the thought of it being used in a product. I manually dose vinegar to my tank daily.
And that's fine. That's what I use. To an extent. Vibrant says it's not a carbon dose.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back