Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your SPS and your hammers are doing well, I wouldn't sweat too much about your frogspawn. Hopefully it will just take some time for it to adjust, and regain its color. One thing you don't want to do is make your other corals unhappy by constantly changing things. [emoji75]
As long as you are only making changes slowly in One Direction, I wouldn't expect adverse effects. It is also possible that frogspawn may be unhappy for another reason.
There are likely some threads available which pertain strictly to acclimation to lighting. Maybe some guidelines on what kind of percentage to increase, how long to wait till the next increase Etc.
I wouldn't even thought about that. I only have 4 fish in my tank so I wouldn't say large bio load but as I have never tested this tank for nitrates or phosphates (naughty I know) I didn't want to go down the route of my nitrates are this and should be that, phosphates are that and should be this as I feel its number chasing. I only test alk,mag,cal,temp and salinity. I get algae on the glass and a little dusting in a lower flow corner so I know it's not clean.
My sps are growing and my hammers and torch are growing. It's just I have lost colour from my frogspawn so I have just lowered the lighting down to see if it helps.
My trouble is I tinker too much with it adjusting white or blue because someone else has had good results with that setup, but that is their setup and no 2 tanks are the same. This I know but I still do it. I think i have bleached my frogspawn as I didn't acclimatise it to my light.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, the most growth is usually seeing between 6K and 10K. However people like to use more blue because it makes the corals pop. Since you are looking for better growth on your SPS I would consider increasing your white very slowly. Also making sure that you're light has enough distance from the water surface as recommended by the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update to running these lights. I'm still running them at 35% blue and 5% white for the last month mow and sps are still growing and everything else is fine. Ive cut about 35 heads off my big hammer on the right ad it was against the glass, I still have some frags to sell so that's what is stuck in the sand at the bottom. Or I my put them in my bedroom tank.
DSC_1532.JPG

xlzerolx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some really nice growth! I'm thinking of buying these lights on Black Friday from amazon. Most pics other people take of these lights there seems to be a purple hue but your pics look great. is what we are seeing in your pics true to life colour? also how deep is your tank? I can't remember if you mentioned it before. Is it possible to post a video? i'd like to see what to expect in terms of disco all effect.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great lights. Yes real life to the pic are pretty much identical I think in real life it is slightly brighter than the pic and a bit more fluorescent in the greens. My tank is 18" high but water level is about 16.5" my lights are 9" off the water.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah the colours look nearly identical in real life to the pics just in real life the corals look a little brighter and the greens flouress abit more. They are great lights.l for the price. I looked at radions but can't warrant the price and the disco effect is terrible in the tank I saw them on. I'll try and post a vid in a bit.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine installed now. But gotta get the tank scooted closer to the wall which is not gonna be fun lol
How far have you got to move the tank? Do you need to move it because of where you mounted the light? Plus is the tank full of water? If so you could just siphon aloud of water out briefly while you move the tank and then refill it, I've done it twice before on other tanks your corals will be fine for a few mins.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far have you got to move the tank? Do you need to move it because of where you mounted the light? Plus is the tank full of water? If so you could just siphon aloud of water out briefly while you move the tank and then refill it, I've done it twice before on other tanks your corals will be fine for a few mins.

Dont mind the wiring that I need to hide or the return line that's gonna be redone the correct way, but yes.
20181110_164601.jpg

xlzerolx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my video I have just uploaded to YouTube.

Thanks for posting the vid. Disco effect is way less than my AI primes. That's an awesome looking tank. Did you turn down the flow for that video or is that the normal amount of flow? My tank is the same height but 48" long. I was thinking i would get the 30" version and have softies / sps on the sides. I think I will use the same setting as you have!

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that's my normal flow. I do turn it up when I clean the glass. If I turn it up for too long my hammers don't like it. For flow I have a eheim compact 1000 as the return flow from the BIOBOX spilt with a y piece on locline, the standard 900l per hour pump that comes with the BIOBOX just pointing at the surface and a jebao rw4 in the corner set at 1/2 power. I did have another pump in the other corner and I killed my 10 yr old wall hammer with too much flow causing brown jelly disease.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try and mount the light on a different bracket I used a 2 section TV Wall Mount.

These have two sections but when you put the second extension on the lights pull down on them way too much for my liking. Easier just to slide the tank back a couple inches.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back