Viparspectrum 165w question

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at buying those ViparSpectrum 165w lights for my tank. I've searched for some info but can't find any addressing my questions.

I have a tank that is 36" wide, 24" deep and 12" front to back. I know, it's a weird size, I got them from a friend of mine who did them for a movie set. Anyway, I've had it set up for over a year now with just 2 fish, a blue chromis and a clownfish. I've done a couple water changes so far of about 10 gallons. I have 2 inexpensive Hygger led lights over the tank. They have a 24 hour mode where they start around 0600 with an orange color like sunrise then eventually go to full daylight and then to blue and finally go off around 2230. However, this really promoted algae. They were only on full brightness for about 6 hours but I guess that is too much. I've played around and now have them on about 30% full spectrum brightness for about 6 hours and then put them on blue for a couple hours before turning them off before I go to bed. There is no way to adjust the brightness when they are in 24 hour mode.

I've recently been looking at the ViparSpectrum 165w led lights because I would like to start some coral. (I previously purchased a couple frags but the ended up dying) I've searched several threads on here and so far haven't found the information I need. My issue is that the highest I can put the lights is 8" above the top of the tank. I built the tank into a bookcase that has a shelf at that height so I'd have to attach the lights to the bottom of that shelf (which is how the Hygger lights are mounted). From the threads I've read the recommendation is for the white light to be at 10% but that is at heights of over a foot above the tank. My understanding is that the new ViparSpectrums only adjust in increments of 10% to that is the lowest setting. Any thoughts on whether this will end up producing lots of algae? I'm also looking at a sterilizer for the tank which I understand will also help keep the algae down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm looking at buying those ViparSpectrum 165w lights for my tank. I've searched for some info but can't find any addressing my questions.

I have a tank that is 36" wide, 24" deep and 12" front to back. I know, it's a weird size, I got them from a friend of mine who did them for a movie set. Anyway, I've had it set up for over a year now with just 2 fish, a blue chromis and a clownfish. I've done a couple water changes so far of about 10 gallons. I have 2 inexpensive Hygger led lights over the tank. They have a 24 hour mode where they start around 0600 with an orange color like sunrise then eventually go to full daylight and then to blue and finally go off around 2230. However, this really promoted algae. They were only on full brightness for about 6 hours but I guess that is too much. I've played around and now have them on about 30% full spectrum brightness for about 6 hours and then put them on blue for a couple hours before turning them off before I go to bed. There is no way to adjust the brightness when they are in 24 hour mode.

I've recently been looking at the ViparSpectrum 165w led lights because I would like to start some coral. (I previously purchased a couple frags but the ended up dying) I've searched several threads on here and so far haven't found the information I need. My issue is that the highest I can put the lights is 8" above the top of the tank. I built the tank into a bookcase that has a shelf at that height so I'd have to attach the lights to the bottom of that shelf (which is how the Hygger lights are mounted). From the threads I've read the recommendation is for the white light to be at 10% but that is at heights of over a foot above the tank. My understanding is that the new ViparSpectrums only adjust in increments of 10% to that is the lowest setting. Any thoughts on whether this will end up producing lots of algae? I'm also looking at a sterilizer for the tank which I understand will also help keep the algae down.

Joe
Tagging in @billyocean who has great success with those lights.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe
You can get used 165s on ebay that dont have the 10% increase. One vipar 300 would work but they stopped making it and it's hard to find. 2 165s will work on 36" just fine. At 8" I would probably switch to 120 degree reflectors or just take them off completely. The white is pretty overbearing so I run mine blues only but it's to each their own.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other inexpensive options like noopsyche that people like as well.

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Billyocean said. I run 4 Noo-Psyche lights on my tank and love them. Promote good growth and have had very little algae growth

Attachments

• 9A202DA6-D895-4904-B368-2355AD9C49F1.jpeg
    9A202DA6-D895-4904-B368-2355AD9C49F1.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 45

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 2 viparspectra lights about 9" above my 90 gallon. I have the white set to 2% and blues around 60%. I get about 120 par on the sand bed and 600 at the water line.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get used 165s on ebay that dont have the 10% increase. One vipar 300 would work but they stopped making it and it's hard to find. 2 165s will work on 36" just fine. At 8" I would probably switch to 120 degree reflectors or just take them off completely. The white is pretty overbearing so I run mine blues only but it's to each their own.
Hi Billy,

I've been looking for the older ones on ebay but you have to ask the sellers if they are the older models or the newer ones since most of the listings don't specify. So far I haven't had any replies to those questions.

Does removing the reflectors cause any harm to the lights with regard to the exposure to the moisture?

Joe

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 2 viparspectra lights about 9" above my 90 gallon. I have the white set to 2% and blues around 60%. I get about 120 par on the sand bed and 600 at the water line.
Hi Dr.,

How deep is your tank? I'm trying to find a pair of the older models so I can dial down the white to lower than 10%.

Joe

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like those Noo-Psyche K7 lights are only available from Noo Psyche. They're about the same price as the new ViparSpectras. And it looks like they are programmed through an app rather than a remote control. Is the light any better? Looks like they have 2 groups of lights rather than the entire surface of the lamp covered with lights.

Joe

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dr.,

How deep is your tank? I'm trying to find a pair of the older models so I can dial down the white to lower than 10%.

Joe
It's 24 inches deep. I have the lights mounted about 8-9" above the water line. I used to have these lights over my 260g at home which is 30" deep and I was getting >100 par at the sand bed with the lights set to 80% blues, 20% whites

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have vispecter light in question, my aquriam is similar size/slightly larger, 45g 200 litre, I have recently raised mine higher to create more spread. In regards to settings you can adjust in increments of 1 (one) 1-100 on 2 channels, channel 1 is white, channel 2 is blues.
I believe you can still buy these models from China but long time delivery.

Mine sits approximately 11-12 inch above my aquarium.
My whites currently 35% and blues 90%.
I will add I'm still playing with percentage due to my various corals, along with algae eating cuc

I've had this for over 4 years now and it works great, in my opinion, if your aquarium is similar size... at a reduced height compared to mine/ half (6') you could definitely use minimum of 10% whites or maybe more but it depends on what coral you are looking to keep.
So many variations/ variables come into question
Algae is a formidable foe and will grow from indirect light like a window or light bulb but it will forever be there,

Attachments

• IMG20230923184806.jpg
    IMG20230923184806.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20230923184811.jpg
    IMG20230923184811.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 41

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the older 1% increment vipars. I changed out a lot of the white lights for more blue and violet but was still getting a ton of algae which I believe was due to spectrum. I have since replaced it with a 24” reef breeders photon and no more algae.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the older 1% increment vipars. I changed out a lot of the white lights for more blue and violet but was still getting a ton of algae which I believe was due to spectrum. I have since replaced it with a 24” reef breeders photon and no more algae.
Can you show me a link to this please

Sorry OP :)

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Post #6

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into Plizon 300 lights (I can’t find any Viparspectras). These don’t seem to have remote controls for them. Does anyone know if they can be controlled with an app on a phone?

Joe

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into Plizon 300 lights (I can’t find any Viparspectras). These don’t seem to have remote controls for them. Does anyone know if they can be controlled with an app on a phone?

Joe
I mean technically you don’t need a remote, it can all be programmed by the dial on the light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back