Viparspectrum 165w question

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dial clicks in, you will cycle through programming stages that you set it all up with. Just google the manual for the light you are looking at

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dial clicks in, you will cycle through programming stages that you set it all up with. Just google the manual for the light you are looking at
The Viparspectrum light looks like it has a timer programming dial but not the other ones.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up another black box light. Company is called Wills. I didn't see any threads with this light. It's a pretty heavy unit. It has 105 leds. It's a 300w unit with dimmers for blue and white.

There's not digital readout so you just turn a knob that has numbers from 0 to 10. There are no click stops so it's pretty much an infinite variable dimmer. There is not timer to set on/off along with the brightness. It does have 3 fans to keep things cool. They seem to be a little noisy but then I've never had this type of light so I'm not sure how much noise the others make (ViparSpectrum or Phlizon). It looks like I'm going to have to remove the shelf that the other lights are mounted on and move it up a few inches in order to accommodate this one. It's 36" wide so it's as wide as the tank and there's plenty of light spread. Also, depending how high I can raise the shelf I may have to cut holes in the shelf to allow for the fans to push the air through. My audio receiver is on this shelf so the fans pushing the air up might keep it cool too. It comes with those wires that you use to hang the light from but I'm going to have to figure out how to secure it pretty close to the bottom of the shelf. I'll try and take some photos when I get it all done.

Joe

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up another black box light. Company is called Wills. I didn't see any threads with this light. It's a pretty heavy unit. It has 105 leds. It's a 300w unit with dimmers for blue and white.

There's not digital readout so you just turn a knob that has numbers from 0 to 10. There are no click stops so it's pretty much an infinite variable dimmer. There is not timer to set on/off along with the brightness. It does have 3 fans to keep things cool. They seem to be a little noisy but then I've never had this type of light so I'm not sure how much noise the others make (ViparSpectrum or Phlizon). It looks like I'm going to have to remove the shelf that the other lights are mounted on and move it up a few inches in order to accommodate this one. It's 36" wide so it's as wide as the tank and there's plenty of light spread. Also, depending how high I can raise the shelf I may have to cut holes in the shelf to allow for the fans to push the air through. My audio receiver is on this shelf so the fans pushing the air up might keep it cool too. It comes with those wires that you use to hang the light from but I'm going to have to figure out how to secure it pretty close to the bottom of the shelf. I'll try and take some photos when I get it all done.

Joe
Usually the difference between Vipar and most other fixtures is Vipar has like 3 different spectrums of blue/purple leds from 420/450/470. Most other fixtures have only 1. The Wills for example has 51 leds of blue, 470. The spectrum is actually much better from Vipar.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the light hanging about 8" or so from the top of the tank. Anyone know of an app for the iPhone that can measure PAR values? I read that the Photone app is fairly accurate but you have to subscribe to a package to measure LED lighting. (or anything other than incandescent or florescent)

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the light hanging about 8" or so from the top of the tank. Anyone know of an app for the iPhone that can measure PAR values? I read that the Photone app is fairly accurate but you have to subscribe to a package to measure LED lighting. (or anything other than incandescent or florescent)
If you're going to use your phone I think the $5 or whatever subscription is your best bet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back