Vodka dosing

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4394.JPG
So ive decided to try vodka dosing instead of using an ats on my new 235 net gallon setup.

How much vodka should i be dosing to combat algae?

Currently i put in 1.2 liters of water and added 175ml of vodka to that (80 proof). The ghl doser is dosing 5ml 10x a day. When i get more vodka, i will not dilute it. So im wondering if i can dose more and if my dose is good?

Its a bb tank with minimal live rock, 9 chromis, and two medium rabbitfish.

Thats a pic of it filling with ro water lol. Its full now with fish and coral.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good carbon dosing program should start with a quality nitrate (NO3) test kit. Follow the diagram below and test NO3 frequently (I prefer daily in the beginning). Dose what the diagram tells you unbtil you notice NO3 starting to fall. Now leave your vodka dose the same. Once you reach your desired No3 level, cut your vodka dose in half for a maintenance dose. Be patient, this will take time. Every now and then get a cup, some ice, and cranberry juice to vodka dose yourself, LOL!
Table2-80Proof.jpg

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey cool. Im not sure how 250 gallons gets 9.5ml at week 16 and a 1000 gallons gets 15.5ml at 16 weeks.

So a 1000 gallon thats 4x larger than a 250 gallon only needs another 6mls?

Doesnt make sense. Time to drink so vodka lol

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That chart is a guideline. Personally, I have increased my dosing amounts quicker with the same results of decreased nutrients. I use 1.5 ml a day on my 50 gal frag system as a maintenance dose. You're right, that chart doesn't make sense when you look at it like you explained.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That chart is a guideline. Personally, I have increased my dosing amounts quicker with the same results of decreased nutrients. I use 1.5 ml a day on my 50 gal frag system as a maintenance dose. You're right, that chart doesn't make sense when you look at it like you explained.

Ive dosed 5ml on a 40 gallonish, massive bloom. Was awesome and nothing died. In fact my monti got its color.

But i really want this tank algae free so i want to up my dose until algae is receeding despite no3/po4. Ever done this?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a side note, algae growth is not completely dependent on nutrient levels. I've had a tank with nitrates above 40 and still no algae, then the opposite is true also, undetectable nutrients and alge galore!

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cory,

Are you diluting the vodka in 1.2 liters of water? If so, I think you may be diluting the too far. You will soon get a bacteria bloom in your dosing container.

Bob

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cory,

Are you diluting the vodka in 1.2 liters of water? If so, I think you may be diluting the too far. You will soon get a bacteria bloom in your dosing container.

Bob

Yes. Its ro water so im not sire whats to eat to cause a bloom. So far theres no bloom. Will be full of vodka but Thats all i had atm. My main concern is actually if it might evaporate.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a side note, algae growth is not completely dependent on nutrient levels. I've had a tank with nitrates above 40 and still no algae, then the opposite is true also, undetectable nutrients and alge galore!

What your likely seeing is algae growing from localized decay. Truely 0 it will die.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Its ro water so im not sire whats to eat to cause a bloom. So far theres no bloom. Will be full of vodka but Thats all i had atm. My main concern is actually if it might evaporate.

Vodka would be your carbon source. You have water and certainly traces of everything else bacteria need to grow. Ethanol concentrations 20% and above are generally bacteriostatic and bactericidal at higher levels. Far below 20%, I would expect bacterial growth. Just keep an eye on it. I think you'll eventually see it cloud up.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka would be your carbon source. You have water and certainly traces of everything else bacteria need to grow. Ethanol concentrations 20% and above are generally bacteriostatic and bactericidal at higher levels. Far below 20%, I would expect bacterial growth. Just keep an eye on it. I think you'll eventually see it cloud up.

Good to know :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And from the water source. Guaranteed there is at least one molecule of ammonia and one of phosphate in purified tap water. RO water is known to grow bacteria, RO/DI less so, but impurities will get into it. :)

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any good carbon dosing program should start with a quality nitrate (NO3) test kit. Follow the diagram below and test NO3 frequently (I prefer daily in the beginning). Dose what the diagram tells you unbtil you notice NO3 starting to fall. Now leave your vodka dose the same. Once you reach your desired No3 level, cut your vodka dose in half for a maintenance dose. Be patient, this will take time. Every now and then get a cup, some ice, and cranberry juice to vodka dose yourself, LOL!
Table2-80Proof.jpg
I am so confused? This seems like a dosing for me. I have to show my wife, thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back