Voltage on a Apex Breakout Box?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about using LED-lit switches on a breakout box. The goal would be that when the circuit is closed that an LED would illuminate. Does anyone know what the voltage is across the terminals?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any where from 2.5v to 5v, and not enough current to drive anything just enough to sense weather a switch is open or closed.
Thanks @Biglew11 That would explain why no one is using illuminated switches or status LEDs. I suppose I could just pit a DC voltmeter across it and see what the voltage is. If I decide to hack something with status lights on a BoB I’ll make sure to post.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Biglew11 That would explain why no one is using illuminated switches or status LEDs. I suppose I could just pit a DC voltmeter across it and see what the voltage is. If I decide to hack something with status lights on a BoB I’ll make sure to post.
it may be doable with a digital type sensing circuit. but it would probably cause interference with the breakout box being able to sense an open or closed switch.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It uses pull-ups and series limiting resistors, which doesn't allow for powering directly from the port. Putting any load on it should drop the voltage pretty quickly - don't just measure open circuit voltage.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It uses pull-ups and series limiting resistors, which doesn't allow for powering directly from the port. Putting any load on it should drop the voltage pretty quickly - don't just measure open circuit voltage.
Thanks @theatrus -- my thought was that once I know the open circuit voltage that I could put an appropriately sized LED in series with a switch. Of course I would simply put the LED across the port to see what happens -- and hopefully not let out any of the magic blue smoke.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @theatrus -- my thought was that once I know the open circuit voltage that I could put an appropriately sized LED in series with a switch. Of course I would simply put the LED across the port to see what happens -- and hopefully not let out any of the magic blue smoke.

This will not work. This is a sensing circuit only. The controller most likely has pull-up resistors on each pin that only allow micro-amps to pass through the resistor to pull the pin high. When you connect a switch to the break out box, the switch connects the pin to ground. The controller senses the low state and acts upon it.

I tinker with microcontrollers all the time. I do not know the specifics of what is inside the Apex. But, most uCs use about a 47kOhm pull-up resistor. If we assume it is 5V (TTL) logic, then the pull-up resistor passes 106uA. That is not enough to power an LED indicator and would mess with the I/O pin state anyways (since most LEDs have a 2V or more forward voltage.) Most newer uCs use 3.3V logic and, if that is used here, the same 47kOhm resistor only passes 70uA. Most LEDs require about 20mA. I've seen LEDs that use single digit mA but those are rare, and dim. I've never seen an LED that pulls less than 1mA.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will not work. This is a sensing circuit only. The controller most likely has pull-up resistors on each pin that only allow micro-amps to pass through the resistor to pull the pin high. When you connect a switch to the break out box, the switch connects the pin to ground. The controller senses the low state and acts upon it.

I tinker with microcontrollers all the time. I do not know the specifics of what is inside the Apex. But, most uCs use about a 47kOhm pull-up resistor. If we assume it is 5V (TTL) logic, then the pull-up resistor passes 106uA. That is not enough to power an LED indicator and would mess with the I/O pin state anyways (since most LEDs have a 2V or more forward voltage.) Most newer uCs use 3.3V logic and, if that is used here, the same 47kOhm resistor only passes 70uA. Most LEDs require about 20mA. I've seen LEDs that use single digit mA but those are rare, and dim. I've never seen an LED that pulls less than 1mA.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Thanks @NinjaTiLL -- I figured it would be very low current but never really dug into the specifics. So this is very helpful. I'm going to rethink the "cool factor" vs "effort" side of this.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely a ton of effort, you'd need to use logic circuits at the bare minimum to even have a chance of it working. almost everything you put at these pins will be seen as a closed switch, including any led.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @NinjaTiLL -- I figured it would be very low current but never really dug into the specifics. So this is very helpful. I'm going to rethink the "cool factor" vs "effort" side of this.
There's another angle to consider. You could use a DPST (double pole single throw) switch and a separate power supply to accomplish the same thing. One side of the switch would connect to the Apex BoB and ground. The other side of the switch would connect to a separate (probably 5v) power supply, the led, a current- limiting resistor and ground. Do you need a schematic?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's another angle to consider. You could use a DPST (double pole single throw) switch and a separate power supply to accomplish the same thing. One side of the switch would connect to the Apex BoB and ground. The other side of the switch would connect to a separate (probably 5v) power supply, the led, a current- limiting resistor and ground. Do you need a schematic?
this will work very well if op doesn't mind a separate indicator light.
if you have open 24v ports you can run an indicator off those and some programing to turn on off with the BoB switch.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make LED switch boxes all the time, both with LED buttons and LED toggles. You CANNOT use the signal voltage of the breakout box, instead use an external power supply or the eb832 24v accesory port.

You also need to ensure you are not allowing power to enter the breakout box- the power side and signal side must be fully isolated or risk damaging your apex.

IMG_7804.jpg
IMG_7805.jpg
IMG_7806.JPG

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made my own toggle box, but used led buttons that have isolated power for always on display. If you wire it to illuminate when pushing the button, then you pass the voltage, which is a no, no.
466F97CD-84A3-4633-ABE5-F9926F03CE2B.jpeg

There may be latching led buttons that have isolated power?

simsimsim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one that uses LED switches, the LEDs only go on when the switches are in the ON position. It does not send power to the BOB. the power is on a separate circuit.

available here

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one that uses LED switches, the LEDs only go on when the switches are in the ON position. It does not send power to the BOB. the power is on a separate circuit.

available here

What toggles are you using, that have LEDs on a separate circuit? Those aren’t the standard 3-prong LED toggles? Or are you incorporating individual relays?

simsimsim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What toggles are you using, that have LEDs on a separate circuit? Those aren’t the standard 3-prong LED toggles? Or are you incorporating individual relays?
They are the standard 3-prong LED toggles. Yes each switch has a relay.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back