Walmart primo water

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! New to R2R, and saltwater aquariums. I've had several freshwater setups but decided to move towards saltwater!!! I have a 30 gallon that I started last week (it's doing its cycle now) and going to convert a 55 this next week. My question is, does anyone use Walmart primo water? Our city water here sucks and I don't have a ro/di filter to do my own water yet. But, I tested the primo water and I filled my 30 gallon with it last week, (added saltmix and everything) and it all tested fine and good to use. I got 10 more gallons tonight to mix up for a water change at the end of this week, tested the water and EVERYTHING was wrong. Nitrate level and nitrate were ok, but GH was almost at 25. KH was at 0, and PH level was well below 6.2. Anyone else had this problem? I looked at their "maintenance record" and it said everything was checked today. There's no place else to get water at around here[emoji27][emoji24]

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457488113.615989.jpg
here's my 30g setup.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for quite a while. It is just plain RO so not as good as RODI but better than tap. It did get to be a pain in the butt hauling my jugs to walmart, filling them with 30 gallons of water, and hauling them home. Not so bad for a 30 gal though, mine are bigger. I did eventually buy a RODI system last year. Recently I upgraded it to give me RO in my kitchen sink with a valve below the sink that switches it to the DI for the tank. It is great for making coffee. I then ran the tubing to the places I need it, two ATOs and my salt mixing vat with float valves so I don't flood the house. I don't know how I hauled all that water before

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cmcoker Yes before salt. Nitrates and nitrite test were 0. I plan on getting a ro/di unit and setting it up in the garage. But since the water tested fine the 1st time, I hadn't ordered one yet.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few people that uses there water none have had any negative side effects from it. That being said get your own rodi. You are at the mercy of walmart and how well they maintain the water unit. Like most companies they are more about profits than keeping up on stuff that costs money. Plus if you are ever in a bind and need water it is always so much easier to just walk into your garage than lugging buckets of water across a parking lot and loading them into your car.

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you advise! I treated the water I got today, I'll let it sit for a couple days and test it again. After that I'll probably go ahead and order a filtration system.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cmcoker Yes before salt. Nitrates and nitrite test were 0. I plan on getting a ro/di unit and setting it up in the garage. But since the water tested fine the 1st time, I hadn't ordered one yet.
In that case I wouldn't worry about the pH, it will come up when you add salt mix. RODI water has no buffer so pH is irrelevant. I think discus people use ro for the low pH...

If you want to still use the water dispenser get a TDS meter with atc, available on amazon for around $25.

I used it before getting a rodi unit, but the rodi unit was the best money I have spent in the hobby. TDS varied greatly on those units 1-2ppm or 25+ppm, so as mentioned above you are at the mercy of the units maintenance people

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never messes with tds for this before, but their paper said the it tested 5, is that still good?

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I sound dumb[emoji52] I'm definitely trying to Absorb a lot of information on all this. It's a whole different world! And it's awesome
To learn about.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using their RO unit for water for a few years with my tank. Prior to Primo, ours was Culligan. They do an OK job at keeping the filters replaced and if not, I just call the office and ask them to get on it. We use it as our drinking water, so it wasn't much of an issue to take the tank jugs and refill those as well. We did 6 5 gallon jugs; 3 for drinking and 3 for ATO.

Quality will depend on how well the unit is maintained so always check the record.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you run it with a good rejection rate you should not be getting 8. Also when you first turn it on you want to waste the first gallon as it will have tds creep in it. Mine has new filter membrane and di and I am getting 1 tds.

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using their RO unit for water for a few years with my tank. Prior to Primo, ours was Culligan. They do an OK job at keeping the filters replaced and if not, I just call the office and ask them to get on it. We use it as our drinking water, so it wasn't much of an issue to take the tank jugs and refill those as well. We did 6 5 gallon jugs; 3 for drinking and 3 for ATO.

Quality will depend on how well the unit is maintained so always check the record.
It's really cheap for me here. I got 10 gallons today for $2.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats expensive when you consider an rodi had an initial cost but after that water probably costs .01 for 10 gallons. Thats not even figuring gas to get to the walmart.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI should be always be 0 TDS. Anything other than that and you have something that needs attention.
My tap TDS is over 550, RO alone gets that to between 2 and 3 and RO/DI is 0 TDS easily. No reason to settle for anything less when you consider that water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything else depends on it.

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really cheap for me here. I got 10 gallons today for $2.
I meant in the meantime while I setup a RO/DI system in my garage or back porch. I don't want it to be halfassed, and in the way. I have a plan in my head tho[emoji3]

OP
OP
theimer808

theimer808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the back porch you really want the rodi to be indoors and protected from the elements
Our back porch is part of our house, heated, air conditioned, vent fan, and a painted concrete floor with a drain! Lol the door going outside from that goes out onto our deck.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back