Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
Going through the diatoms stage (new tank) and wondering about water changes, should I just wait it out as all my parameters are okay. I've not read through posts yet on here but I'm reading conflicting information on general internet.
Water changes never hurt. How about a water change and CUC

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

I would add a CuC. The main cause of diatoms are silicates in the water. Are you using a RO/DI system, or are you getting your water from a trusted LFS that is using a RO/DI system that is accurately working and maintained?

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are expensive (DI Resin + Salt Mix) so I'm always looking to minimize them, especially with a big tank. But I'm not sure if going full triton and eliminating them is really the best option. I like the idea that they prevent the build-up of toxic substances (eg soap on your hands)

As for diatoms, mine took about 2-3 weeks in my AIO, and my new tank they were gone in about 3 days. But some people actually dose silicates to support diatoms.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
Going through the diatoms stage (new tank) and wondering about water changes, should I just wait it out as all my parameters are okay. I've not read through posts yet on here but I'm reading conflicting information on general internet.
All the parameters you are testing are OK. We cannot test for all things that might be helped by water changes. Specifically, organic compounds dissolved in water that can't be filtered out.
In the ocean, they are diluted, in our tanks, not.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I'd just wait it out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back