Water changes or not?

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Water changes yes, at least once a month for what you gain from the salt mix. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

OP
OP
Screasey

Screasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

I would add a CuC. The main cause of diatoms are silicates in the water. Are you using a RO/DI system, or are you getting your water from a trusted LFS that is using a RO/DI system that is accurately working and maintained?
Hi,
Have added 6 turbo snails and 3 Nassarious snails and they seem to be doing a good job so far, RO/DI water bought from LFS but not actually tested TDS of the water, Salinity is 1.025. bought myself a RO/DI unit but until I get a TDS tester I'm continuing to use the LFS water.

OP
OP
Screasey

Screasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can slow the growth of algae while cycling and even for a while after starting to add fish. Keep lights off. Algae needs light, bacteria does not. Kept mine dark and limited light after adding fish for a while and there is algae but never had the ugly stage.
Hi there,
I've added 2 Clowns and some CUC, turned lighting down both intensity and duration, the brown colour is either slowly being eaten by the snails and now turning green in some places.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to Reef2Reef!

You can prevent diatoms or at least minimise them by using rowaphos to remove silicates and excess phosphate from the system

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I've added 2 Clowns and some CUC, turned lighting down both intensity and duration, the brown colour is either slowly being eaten by the snails and now turning green in some places.
Slowing the growth should help a lot. i don’t know what you have in your tank or how much space for more fish but there are some cleaners that can be of use. I have a cpl lawn mower blennys ( 225g tank though) they are taritorial within species. Some tangs are also proficient at algae control. I have a convict and bristle tooth tang although I think there are others even better for that, would have to research that. Aside from that, while I was setting up and researching I saw that the ugly brown stage is not uncommon and not to panic. Just an annoying stage.

Attachments

• 3914A84A-C936-4CFE-8255-D2282E3A8A9C.jpeg
    3914A84A-C936-4CFE-8255-D2282E3A8A9C.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 16

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
Going through the diatoms stage (new tank) and wondering about water changes, should I just wait it out as all my parameters are okay. I've not read through posts yet on here but I'm reading conflicting information on general internet.

Welcome! Glad you joined

Like many things, you'll get multiple opinions and all are right :)

+1 vote water change... I used a tiny airline tube and just sucked those for water changes to speed that phase along. Eventually got to other side, and no matter what you do (likely even if you do nothing), eventually you will get to the other side

OP
OP
Screasey

Screasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowing the growth should help a lot. i don’t know what you have in your tank or how much space for more fish but there are some cleaners that can be of use. I have a cpl lawn mower blennys ( 225g tank though) they are taritorial within species. Some tangs are also proficient at algae control. I have a convict and bristle tooth tang although I think there are others even better for that, would have to research that. Aside from that, while I was setting up and researching I saw that the ugly brown stage is not uncommon and not to panic. Just an annoying stage.
Just starting out, only got 2 clownfish atm and some CUC, 60g tank.

Attachments

• 16266224079559088350005543790884.jpg
    16266224079559088350005543790884.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 14

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back