Water Mixing Setup Design Help

Galiant50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

So I am getting ready to set up a "smart" water mixing station. With that, I am in the beginning stages of planning the design. I have my hands on 3 65-gal pickling containers, so those will be my storage containers. 2 drums will be stacked on each other (connected with PVC) for fresh water storage, to the right will be one container for premixed SW for AWC or manual water changes. I'll be using a 50ft python on a hose reel as an output for manual water distribution. a Jabeo DCP-6500 will be between the two storage containers, used to pump water in multiple directions (fresh to SW bin, fresh to python, salt to python, etc)

Where I am stuck at is manual removal of water. Currently (without the mixing station) I am using the python attached to a water hose to start the syphon that pump the water out into the street. I want to incorporate removal into the mixing station python so it's easy to manage, but not sure how to design it in a way to syphon/pump water out of the tank.

Brief overview, the tank is in my living room, water mixing station in the garage. Both are about 50ft away from each other. I am not able to add any plumbing though walls. Tank to end of driveway is around 30ft, mixing station to end of driveway is around 20ft.

So please help me. The only solution I can see is buying an additional python ($50+) which is not something I really want to do, or removing the python from the reel everytime I want to use, which I am also not super enthused to do.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you want to use the same python for water removal and new water with it in the reel. I would be concerned about scummy/dirty water pooling in the bottom of the loops of what is left on the reel. I think your best option is to buy another python - of course this doesn't have to be a python, you can buy the same hose in bulk online much cheaper.

Bobby T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased this from Amazon for my in construction mix station. It is a 100' roll. I will need about 50' from my mix station to my farthest tank. That leaves me with 50' for a drain. My thought is to have a second pump that will be used at the aquarium to pump out the old water to my sink and have this set up as a portable station of some sort.

100'=$33.99
50'=$23.99
10'=$10.99

MasterChief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

So I am getting ready to set up a "smart" water mixing station. With that, I am in the beginning stages of planning the design. I have my hands on 3 65-gal pickling containers, so those will be my storage containers. 2 drums will be stacked on each other (connected with PVC) for fresh water storage, to the right will be one container for premixed SW for AWC or manual water changes. I'll be using a 50ft python on a hose reel as an output for manual water distribution. a Jabeo DCP-6500 will be between the two storage containers, used to pump water in multiple directions (fresh to SW bin, fresh to python, salt to python, etc)

Where I am stuck at is manual removal of water. Currently (without the mixing station) I am using the python attached to a water hose to start the syphon that pump the water out into the street. I want to incorporate removal into the mixing station python so it's easy to manage, but not sure how to design it in a way to syphon/pump water out of the tank.

Brief overview, the tank is in my living room, water mixing station in the garage. Both are about 50ft away from each other. I am not able to add any plumbing though walls. Tank to end of driveway is around 30ft, mixing station to end of driveway is around 20ft.

So please help me. The only solution I can see is buying an additional python ($50+) which is not something I really want to do, or removing the python from the reel everytime I want to use, which I am also not super enthused to do.
What did you end up going with... I just revamped my mixing station (about the same distance as yours). I ordered (4)x1/2" 3 way valves from US Plastics and installed a positive displacement pump from harbor freight. plumbed a mess of 1/2 pvc, as well as a chiller inline. Many lessons learned the hard way lol, but the setup is now complete and works very well. I can go to/from tank-salt-waste-recirculate in any combination now. I use the python as well, and can pump to/from the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back