Water Movers: What powerheads are you using and are you happy with them?

How happy are you with your powerheads/watermovers?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 438 52.6%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 309 37.1%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.1%

• Total voters

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x octopulse 2. Run them on random and sometimes tide mode. Love that I can angle them. Really easy to clean.

In my small nem tank, we went cheaper with Jabao.. but it too has random/tide settings with a feed mode and for the price it's not a bad unit at all. You can tell its construction is cheaper in feel and function, but for that small tank it works great.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6040 and 6095 on my 40 gallon AIO.

Happy with them and like the flow pattern I've been able to achieve.

They also have great customer support and I like that you are able to get most any replacement part. Not sure if any other manufacturer does that.

I don't covet any other pumps for my tank.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just arrived and installed last night the Red Sea upgrade pump for RSM 130D and just got a new Jebao SW-10 sine wavemaker which I love it's got just the right amount of force for my 34 gal RSM. My only complaint is.... the magnet was a bit stronger. What I really wanted to buy was IceCap Gyre Series but way out of my budget right now as I have been spending WAYYYY too much $$ on my tank lately.

Robert D'Amaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2) Gyre 330's on a 48" wide tank. More flow than I will ever need. Have them alternating from -70% to +80%. Water is moved everywhere.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using two Jebao OW-10's in my IM Nuvo 40. I started with a single OW-25 but it was way too much flow and blew around the sand. I'm pretty happy with them so far as they've been running for over a year and seem to do the trick in my tank.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x Jebao SLW-10's, one is master one slaved in sine mode and only going at 40%. With all other flow devices off to my tank I can barely hear any audible noise, but man do they move a ton of water.

Wouldn't spend any more on a powerhead than I did on these - about 60 bucks a pop. I think the new wifi ones are maybe 10 bucks more, but don't really need them - the non-wifi ones communicate with each other via some sort of radio.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP10 in a 29 biocube, IceCap 1K in a 29 standard, grow out and just got 2 Tunze 609 for an 4'x 2' rimless frag controlled by GHL profilux 4.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy am I in the minority here haha. I'm on my 4th different set of powerheads. Presently have Maxspect xf330 gyres. Before now have tried and done away with Tunze Turbelle, IceCap 3ks, and Hydor Koralia. One day I'll find the one for me.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through about half a dozen Hydor Korallia’s in a couple years when I set up my first tank about 10 years ago. I got tired of buying new cheap power heads every few months so bought a pair of MP40ES model Vortechs and they’ve been running on my tanks ever since. They’re going on 8 years now without issue if memory serves. Couldn’t be happier.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mp40s, somewhat satisfied. I had one of the magnets just fail randomly and my mp40 shattered. 400 dollar replacement for something like this is annoying. I would like an alternative

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using.......2 Aqueon 950 in my 75 setup. Not the prettiest things, but very very reliable and very inexpensive. I would like some MP40s, but not for $300 sum. each. The Aqueons are true power heads.

Jackie Osteen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement in a saltwater reef aquarium is so important on many levels so using the right ones in the right configuration for your tank is a pretty big deal! But with so many choices out there it's sometimes hard to choose! Today let's talk about which powerhead(s) or water mover(s) you use and why!

1. What pumps or powerheads are you using to provide water flow in your aquarium and are you happy with them?

2. If you could choose any powerhead or pump on the market what would you choose?

powerhead.jpg
In my 225 deep sand bed reef (180 gal. actual) I am using 2 Ocean Stream OS-1 1600 gph and 2 Ocean Stream OS-101 500 gph controlled by a Ocean Pulse - Quadra. My sump pump is variable speed and I have it pumping at 500 gph. Also have a single SONGJOY JVP-100A/B (660 gph) that runs constantly. Only 2 of the Ocean Streams are on at a time so total flow in the tank is 3260 gph. Once the SONGJOY dies I will replace it with an Ocean Stream. I would choose the Ocean Streams over anything else.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TUNZE the originator all the way, might be a little bulky but hard to kill!! Have 5 6105's and LOVE them. Wasn't a big fan of the MP's. My Tunzes even give me a heads up when it's time for cleaning because they start to make a slight tick sound when they engage meaning it's time for a soak!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back