Water Softener

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will skip a shower rather than shower in soft water. Its so gross. Like shaking hands with someone that just applied hand lotion.

I figured some people just didn't notice or didn't care, but some actually prefer it? Mind blown :)

Have you had a water company out to test your water and make adjustments? Its amazing how much better the softener works after the right settings are dialed in!!

SpectraPureInc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on Daniel!

One thing that shocked me was when I brought my BRS unit in, they didn't try to blames the hardware and sell me a spectrapure unit. They simply tailored what I had to get the best production.

Before my visit, I was going through DI twice a month and now it lasts 3 months and this latest one has gone even longer. It is time for some replacement filters. in which I need to make a trip.... Love having you guys local!!!

Hi there,

The good thing is, all hardware really is the same but they are of different quality. As long as the hardware is fine, then the most that may be needed is filters. Luckily our 10" filters are compatible with just about all RO and RODI units that utilize a 2x12 membrane housing and 2.5 x 10 filter housings. We are always straight up and would recommend what is best which in most cases is filters!

We are open M-F and if you call or place your order for "Local Pickup" we will surely have it ready for you! Glad to hear the new filters are lasting much longer.

Daniel

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a water softener with a whole house filter which takes out chlorine and other things. I have my R/O system hooked up post softener/whole house filter. I figure between the two, the water is cleaner afterwards? My understanding of the softener is that the only potential byproduct is a little salt in the water. But I am no expert! So following to see if someone with actual expertise will chime in.
Can you use water softner water to mix your reef salt to put in the reef tank? or do you still need to RODI or RO the water?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use water softner water to mix your reef salt to put in the reef tank? or do you still need to RODI or RO the water?

You still need to run the softwater thru a System to remove chlorine/clorimines and other contaminants

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water softener exchanges the hard water ions with salt ions. So for example, my TDS before and after the softener is 650. I would not want to be using that water in my aquarium. Since you are using a softener, I'm guessing you have hard water to begin with. So to answer your question, yes a RO/DI System would still be needed to get your water to 0 TDS. The good news is that salt ions are easier on your RO membrane vs hard water ions. So your RO membrane will last longer.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your TDS? Everything else might be a mute point.
I have not tested them yet but I will and let you know. I know the water is very good and has very little chemicals and metals in it that is why I was asking. I do have an RODI 4 stage system

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we recently moved as most of you are aware. In our previous house we had no filtration system whatsoever. Just straight from the city to the faucet. In this new house we have a water softener system. Should I be tapping into my source water before or after the softener system? What are the effects of feeding softened water to an RO unit?
The reason I ask is it seems i'm burning through DI rather quickly, and the only thing I can think it might be is something to do with the softened water.

Thanks,

Crabs :D
I was told to install it before by the installer. The water softener people installed a hookup with valve right before the softener for me to hook into.

Turns out this may have been a lie:

“Softener Protects an RO Unit:​

Reverse osmosis membranes are fragile. Although there is usually a small sediment filter in front of the RO, reverse osmosis has a hard time removing or reducing calcium and magnesium–the minerals that make water hard. So by installing a water softener WITH an RO drinking water system, the water softener or conditioner will reduce the water hardness, thus acting as a protective barrier for the RO system keeping it from fouling and extending the life of the membranes.”

That being said, in my case, we borderline even need the water softener where we live. Our community isn’t only 5-6 years old and my tap water is already below 100-150TDS.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used my RO/DI unit after my softener for entire reef career. No issues. Our local water is very hard. Got a softener shortly after building the home and has saved many corrosion issues and lots on soap, etc. Could not go without it. :)
Especially with my boys' sensitive skin.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to install it before by the installer. The water softener people installed a hookup with valve right before the softener for me to hook into.

Turns out this may have been a lie:

“Softener Protects an RO Unit:​

Reverse osmosis membranes are fragile. Although there is usually a small sediment filter in front of the RO, reverse osmosis has a hard time removing or reducing calcium and magnesium–the minerals that make water hard. So by installing a water softener WITH an RO drinking water system, the water softener or conditioner will reduce the water hardness, thus acting as a protective barrier for the RO system keeping it from fouling and extending the life of the membranes.”

That being said, in my case, we borderline even need the water softener where we live. Our community isn’t only 5-6 years old and my tap water is already below 100-150TDS.

After the water softener is the correct the calcium and magnesium that make water hard are also some of the least soluble compounds in the water. They can increase above solubility at the membrane and scale the membrane.

More information in the Filmtec Tech Manual if you are interested.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back