Waterbox 135.4 new build

Jason Mcdowell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
477A29D9-F233-4BDD-A4D1-9F80C5672B6D.jpeg
Hello everyone! New to the community and new to the saltwater side of the hobby. I have always loved reef tanks whenever I get a chance to see one. Having a reef tank was inevitable, just never pulled the trigger till now. Ready to get my hands wet and get this done.

Have spent years of just admiring and learning as much as I can with saltwater. I believe I’m ready for this. My goals are: medium stocked mixed reef and to keep stable conditions. Let’s start with the equipment I have chose for the build.

•4 kessil 360n
•1 kessil h380
•Neptune core 15 Retun pump
•2 maxpect gyers 250
•Reef octopus regal 150sss Protien skimmer
•2 colbolt aquatics neo-therm 300w heaters
•Sentry ato (included with tank purchase)
•Trigger systems 10 gallon ato reservoir
•Reactor for carbon with a mji1200 pump
•Neptune apex controller
Planning for dosing pumps in the near future.

Using the 5 gallon section of the sump that was suppose to be the ato res as the fuge. In order for that to work I had to get a CPR aquatics HOB overflow that would flow into the RP section of the sump.

Next step is to empty the tank of boxes and trash and fill with water. cross those fingers for no leaks everyone. I’ll keep you all posted.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and great tank!

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best reefing forum.

First reef tank? Nice list of equipment you got there.
Very nice tank.

Looks like you've done your homework.

Following.

OP
OP
Jason Mcdowell

Jason Mcdowell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming at ya with some updates on the Waterbox 135.4. Took a day to fill the tank with RO water. Had a head start of 30+ gallons of it so that was nice. Finished my first box of salt mix! Didn’t realize how much salt I used making rock soup since January. I been using the cheap salt for the rock curing process 5+ months. I have a fresh bucket of Red Sea coral pro salt that I used to finish the mix. My plan is to do weekly water changes with coral pro until my cal mag and alk are good. Meanwhile I’ll add a few fish to keep me entertained before I add any coral. 4FDFF962-1C87-46A8-AB6A-DBC27EAF9C64.jpeg

Ran into a problem with leaking. Not a bad leak. Anyways it’s the barb fitting from the factory. Its a slip fitting that goes into a coupling fitting that attaches to the underside of the tank(for the return). That joint from the barb and the coupling didn’t seal right. I’ll patch it up with CB welding for now. Meanwhile I’ll get a hold of WaterBox to send me a new one. Things happen. You can’t blame them.

Added the 75+ pounds of cured rock into the tank. I’m not set on the layout.
I feel like I need to pull some out and stick it in the sump and fuge. Looks a little cluttered to me. I made some caves and holes for flow and hiding spots. I didn’t want it up against the back wall either I thought it would restrict the flow a little. Let me know what you all think. I could use some advice. F26D6D39-25D8-4FA3-8E2C-F31CB64D65B6.jpeg DFE0B29A-836B-4279-ABD8-97BF0623F1FB.jpeg

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's starting to come along nice, and the lights are great.

My 135.4 arrived Thursday! I've got some prep work to do before I start the build, like adding an electrical outlet behind the stand, and running PVC for my ATO and water change station. So far I'm really impressed with the quality of the tank and sump. I'm upgrading from an SCA 50 gal cube, and they're not even in the same ballpark.

The tank seems really heavy. Do you know how much it weighs? I can't find any info on their website. Was it easy for 2 people to lift onto the stand? I have to go down about 6 steps to the basement too.

OP
OP
Jason Mcdowell

Jason Mcdowell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's starting to come along nice, and the lights are great.

My 135.4 arrived Thursday! I've got some prep work to do before I start the build, like adding an electrical outlet behind the stand, and running PVC for my ATO and water change station. So far I'm really impressed with the quality of the tank and sump. I'm upgrading from an SCA 50 gal cube, and they're not even in the same ballpark.

The tank seems really heavy. Do you know how much it weighs? I can't find any info on their website. Was it easy for 2 people to lift onto the stand? I have to go down about 6 steps to the basement too.

I asked waterbox before it arrived here so I could hire some guys to help me carry it up some stairs. Over 300 pounds. It’s a beast. 3/4 inch glass. I loved how well they siliconed the panels together.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was 1/2 glass? Was there no way to get 2 lights to work?

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 135.4 is 1/2 glass. I was able to carry it into the house with the help of my bro in law. It was heavy but doable. Tanks looks great!! I just started my build thread.

As for the barn fitting, I had it leaking as well. I called WB and they immediately sent me one the next day. Before it’s arrival, I attempted to fix it with pvc primer and cement. Didn’t work. The barb fitting was waaay to loose and it didn’t hold. The new fitting is far superior in build and strength. Only difference is that the barb raises up about an inch or two from the original position.

OP
OP
Jason Mcdowell

Jason Mcdowell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent them a email. Hopefully it will come quick. I tried the WB weld and it didn’t hold. I’ll just keep my power heads and heater going. In the display will it shows.

I did a quick check on my salinity and it read way too high. (Oops). Going have to adjust that after when the fitting comes. Went a little crazy on that salt.

OP
OP
Jason Mcdowell

Jason Mcdowell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank back up and running with the speedy save by WaterBox. I thought I sent a email to them, then I get a message from waterbox saying they haven’t received an email through R2R. He sent me one right away. If you want a product from good people I recommend WaterBox. I was really impressed how quickly he handled it. Once he got my address the fitting was here the next day.

OP
OP
Jason Mcdowell

Jason Mcdowell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8BE0A3C1-4BD0-49B1-950E-DBC8C5703064.jpeg
Some new updates on the 135.4. Added some cheato and pods to the tank and a fish. Do you think the pods will eat marine snow by 2 little fishes? My first fish is a copper band butterfly. I asked to see if she would eat at the store. She ate really well so I took her home. She is adjusting pretty good. Exploring everything. she won’t eat the food I give her. The store owner told me to feed her mysis shrimp but she won’t touch it.. any recommendations?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back