Waterbox 35.1 Cube

TheRealAFISHionado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... it also pays to have patience in this hobby. I Used the same method when I started my last system. I build my aquascape, then I soak the dry rocks for a few weeks in rodi water, then I rebuild my aquascape in the tank and let the tank cycle for a couple of months with no livestock.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78C7ADA2-2A56-4459-AF2D-6EC426C66837.jpeg

It has begun...

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a livestock wishlist?

Yes! Well... kind of. I have been toying around with the idea of a Yasha Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair. I am on the fence about them though because I’m not sure I want to deal with sand being thrown all over the tank. Also thinking of a white banded possum wrasse. Other than that, I have a pair of snowflake clowns that I have grown quite attached to over the years. This tank will be their new home :)

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I updated my first post to include what is currently in the tank, equipment list and some threads I have created that were directly related to this build.

I will add a new picture soon.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started working on a controller cabinet last night. Lining the interior with a white waterproof vinyl. Not that I plan on anything getting wet but I figured why not?

26F78C30-A0C5-44D6-A27B-4695DB495DDB.jpeg

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the pumps in and on. I have the magnets in the overflow. Even though AI says they are waterproof, I vacuum sealed them just to be sure.

Updated the tank shot on first post.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nice! The rock layout is cool, gives a lot of space for fishes to swim instead of creating a divide.
How much space is there from the front glass to the overflow area in the back?

Not sure how I missed this post!

If you are still wondering, I believe it is about 14 inches. I can take an exact measurement tomorrow if you would like.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller cabinet is coming along. Thinking I am going to line the interior of the tank cabinet with the white liner as well to match.

337A5DEC-44A0-4D9C-B778-A709ABAF37CD.jpeg
0A956EAB-9BAA-48C8-9149-5BB84F3EA3BC.jpeg

The apex is not mounted yet so don’t mind it being so crooked. ;)

I’m wondering if I’m going to need to install a fan in here...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am trying to figure out how to actually install the controller boards. Thinking about installing hinges for easy access. Not entirely sure though. Time for research ;Bookworm

Jason sovereign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question have you leak tested it yet and if so do you know what the skimmer section running depth is. Building a 35.1 also but haven’t opened the box yet.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question have you leak tested it yet and if so do you know what the skimmer section running depth is. Building a 35.1 also but haven’t opened the box yet.
Yes! The tank has had water in it for going on 2 weeks. No problems to report. Skimmer section is 12 inches by 7.5 inches if I remember correctly. I can verify this in the morning. I look forward to seeing your build!

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am trying to figure out how to actually install the controller boards. Thinking about installing hinges for easy access. Not entirely sure though. Time for research ;Bookworm
What did you end up doing? I’m thinking about hinges as well. Can’t find any pics.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? I’m thinking about hinges as well. Can’t find any pics.
I haven’t done anything with it yet unfortunately. Life has been tough (for everyone) lately and I have had to put this off multiple times. I am leaning towards not using hinges though. If I do, it’s going to be with some heavy duty hinges or a dozen of them haha. I am afraid the weight of the controllers will bend the screws or something.

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a small update. Cabinet area with the sump was waterproofed and made to match the controller cabinet.

Attachments

• 647C60FF-630B-463F-8B1B-225562EB9A68.jpeg
    647C60FF-630B-463F-8B1B-225562EB9A68.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 140

Jason sovereign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity are you finding that m1 to be a bit much? Was debating between a s1, varios 2 or core 20 and was thinking all of those where still a bit much. Only looking to run 150 or so gph through the sump using a dc option. Would the m1 be your first choice or would you down size if you didn’t already have the pump?

OP
OP
Jdubyo

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity are you finding that m1 to be a bit much? Was debating between a s1, varios 2 or core 20 and was thinking all of those where still a bit much. Only looking to run 150 or so gph through the sump using a dc option. Would the m1 be your first choice or would you down size if you didn’t already have the pump?
The M1 is most definitely overkill for this setup. It has the ability to be calibrated but I have the min and max set to the lowest possible settings. I will be setting up a manifold at some point to run other equipment so this will help for my situation. I don’t know exactly how much is being pushed through the system. I have not tested it nor do I have any kind of flow monitoring at the moment. What I can say is with the M1 at the lowest possible settings, it isn’t blowing around any sand, the overflow is silent,I have been able to use the stock ball valve to silence the sump/eliminate bubbles, and there is minimal turbulence in the sump. So it is working.

muhnandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this happened:

370ED2B4-3CAF-425C-8200-CFF15003B589.jpeg

I lost an undersized 2 gallon ATO but I gained probably a gallon of system water volume and now I don’t need to buy a new pump. Saving money makes me happy ;Shamefullyembarrased

To remove the baffle that separated the ATO from the original return chamber, I used a .010 guitar string (the smallest diameter string) that I already had and slowly pushed it down in between the glass panes to separate them from each other. I could not get it to maneuver around the corners so I used a razor blade on the bottom. Once this was done I moved the baffle side from side to expose more of the silicone and used the razor blade to remove the remaining bits that were holding it together. Once the baffle was removed I cleaned it up with some acetone.

I have done this procedure before with home made sumps but never on a professionally made one so it was a little nerve racking but I just took my time and all went well. This definitely voided the warranty on the sump but you gotta do what you gotta do!
I want to do this as well in order to use the ATO space for a fuge. However, I am concerned s about the flow to that part of the tank. Curious to hear how it flows when you have yours up and running. Thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back