OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape looks awesome, should be no problem getting flow all around the main rock. Should be a relief , pumping all the water flow and no sand flying all over the place!

Can't wait to see the bottom filled with a zoa garden!

Thank you, the flow does seem to be pretty simple. I imagine I'm going to like the Barebottom. I love that I won't have to worry about sand getting in the corals.

Fingers crossed.

The tank looks great in the video! When the tank cleared up at the end, I could envision it just full of coral.

Quick question, which compartment would you put the heater in?

Yay! Hopefully your vision is a premonition! lol

That's a really good question. I have not been heating the tank yet, as my house is typically around 72-74 and there's not livestock in it. I honestly have not thought about a heater until you asked. I don't think there's a good compartment for the heater in this. It may have to go into the tank. Or I'll have to get rid of the filter sock.... Which I like having... I'm going to have to think about it. Thanks for bringing it up!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update @DBS Superleggera contacted waterbox and asked for their recommendation about the heater. They said to put it in the middle section with the filter media. I'll probably go with a neotherm for this, since they tend to be a bit more compact. If anyone else has a small heater they think would work better though, I am totally up for suggestions.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update @DBS Superleggera contacted waterbox and asked for their recommendation about the heater. They said to put it in the middle section with the filter media. I'll probably go with a neotherm for this, since they tend to be a bit more compact. If anyone else has a small heater they think would work better though, I am totally up for suggestions.

I have run Neo-therms for years and love them, I used the 75w on my Nuvo 10 and it fit great in the middle chamber as well, not sure how the waterbox compartments compare but I'm sure they are similar enough

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neotherm seems like a good choice for tight spaces and BRS gave it good reviews

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run Neo-therms for years and love them, I used the 75w on my Nuvo 10 and it fit great in the middle chamber as well, not sure how the waterbox compartments compare but I'm sure they are similar enough
The neotherm seems like a good choice for tight spaces and BRS gave it good reviews

I saw that. I thought about getting a few for my bigger tank, but the price put me off a little. I try to switch out my heaters every year. Maybe I will try one at the next switch.

I agree I have the neotherm on my 40b. Gets the job done and looks pretty good ;)

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'll get one ordered tonight or tomorrow morning. I imagine it will fit nicely as well.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that. I thought about getting a few for my bigger tank, but the price put me off a little. I try to switch out my heaters every year. Maybe I will try one at the next switch.

I've had mine for about 4 years now... personally I'd probably switch them out once every 3 years at the earliest but that's just me

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 4 years now... personally I'd probably switch them out once every 3 years at the earliest but that's just me

I know they are better quality than what I normally get. That makes a big different if I can do less frequent replacements though.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they are better quality than what I normally get. That makes a big different if I can do less frequent replacements though.

Honestly I'd pick a couple 75W's on a sale like black Friday and have a spare on the shelf for when you need it and don't sweat it.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh. Still happy with your Waterbox 15? I’m looking at either that or the IM peninsula 14...

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh. Still happy with your Waterbox 15? I’m looking at either that or the IM peninsula 14...

Loving it so far. I wanted something small. The main issue is that is splashes pretty bad. I need to do a top for it and/or a different nozzle.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'd pick a couple 75W's on a sale like black Friday and have a spare on the shelf for when you need it and don't sweat it.

That's a really good idea!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving it so far. I wanted something small. The main issue is that is splashes pretty bad. I need to do a top for it and/or a different nozzle.

I think Vivid Creative Aquatics makes a drop down adapter for tanks like the IM and Waterbox AIO's for there Random Flow Generators. Might be worth looking into....

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. It did sound fairly loud in one of your videos. Not able to adjust the return down into the water or where is the splashing from?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Vivid Creative Aquatics makes a drop down adapter for tanks like the IM and Waterbox AIO's for there Random Flow Generators. Might be worth looking into....

For sure. It's on my to do list to look for adapters.

Interesting. It did sound fairly loud in one of your videos. Not able to adjust the return down into the water or where is the splashing from?

No it's not adjustable. It's just a screw in fixture with no adjustment options.

I will say that my phone tends to pick up the audio of moving water really well, so it always sounds louder in videos than it does in real life, but the splashing is also loud in real life with that one.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep here it is!!!

Super cool little tank, the mosses wants a little ome for seahorses....if I show her this it could push her over hahah

I like it a lot. I think I’m going to mess with the pump a bit tomorrow to figure out why it’s being so loud. If that’s just how loud it is, I may need to go for an upgrade. I thought this may eventually end up in my office, but not with that pump the way it is right now. :oops:

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered 2 pieces of small foundation rock dry rock, 2 pounds of rock rubble, 20 pounds of reef saver dry rock, E-Marco mortar, and super glue accelerator from BRS. I was also going to get a big bottle of their super glue, but they have been out of stock. If all the rock comes in before it comes back in, it looks like I'll be making a trip to the dollar store, or maybe a few dollar stores, to get enough super glue. The rocks should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. Still no deliver date for the tank, which is fine, just means I can start cycling in a Tupperware before it comes in.

Can't wait to get started though! I keep thinking about all the shapes I hope I can make. Hopefully the aquascaping goes well cause I'd like to do it when I go to a bigger tank too.

How much of this rock did you end up using? About to check out a BRS order very similar for a upcoming Pen15!

Edit 10/18/2020: Just ordered my Peninsula 15. Will definitely be watching this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of this rock did you end up using? About to check out a BRS order very similar for a upcoming Pen15!

Edit 10/18/2020: Just ordered my Peninsula 15. Will definitely be watching this thread.

Great question! I'm editing the scaping video now. I'll put that in there.

• Small Foundation Reef Saver Dry Live Rock - MarcoRocks - I ordered 2 because I wanted options for the base. I did end up using only one, and not the one I thought I would go with.
  • Reef Saver Aquarium Dry Live Rock - MarcoRocks - 20 pounds. I should have not ordered this, and just got more rubble.
  • Dry Live Rock Rubble - MarcoRocks - 2 pounds I wish I had just ordered more of this and none of the rocks.
  • E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Mortar Complete Kit - Grey - MarcoRock - I have a ton of this left for future scapes. I only mixed a little at a time in paper bowls so that the bucket stayed clean for storage.
  • Instaset
  • Big bottle of super glue
I used nearly all of the rubble and then had to break the bigger rocks a part, which is just a pain.

I did not need nearly as much as what I bought. This is what I have leftover:

1603115194083.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back