Waterbox Mini Penn 15

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my biocube lights went end of life, I had to make a decision, upgrade the lights or get a new tank. Before the year is out, I expect to have a 120 gallon tank and in the more distant future, a 300+gallon tank. That being said, I think the small tanks are elegant. I want to keep one around. The biocube has been in our house for going on 7 years. It's quite scratched and the design seems dated to me. I decided to look more at new tanks that retrofitting the biocube. After asking tons of questions and watching tons of videos, I knew I had found my next tank when Waterbox released the new mini penns. I went back and forth between the 15 gallon and 25 gallon, but decided I wanted to stay more true to the nano design and went with the 15 gallon. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new tank. I will put my two clowns and 6 line wrasse here. I intend it to be mainly a zoa tank. But that may evolve. I am doing research on a NSA aquascape and whether I want to do sand or not. I know the combo of NSA and no sand on such a small tank will be quite the challenge, but I am down for a longer cycle and the bacterial blooms that inevitably accompany it.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way this looks. I can imagine an arc and some twists that would look fabulous in a small peninsula. I am ordering some base rock, rocks, super glue, accelerator, mortar and sand. I have not gotten shipping information on the tank yet, so once the scape is done, I plan on going ahead and putting it into a tub to start marinating in some bacteria and help with the cycle. I kind of want to try a Bare bottom, but I know that will just add to the time it will take to cycle. I also want to use all dry rock, because I want to try to avoid bubble algae, vermetid snails and aiptasia for as long as possible. These were pests I was not aware of when I first started down the salt water trail.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main information I am getting for cycling with sand versus no sand. I also am weighing Ryan's decision to go bare bottom for his 360 heavily. I do not think I will be putting things that need a lot of flow into this tank, but I also want to keep it looking simple and crisp and hope to put all the powerheads on one wall. I don't think it would take a lot of flow to cause the sand to blow around in such a small tank and end up with a heel in the back and bare bottom in the front.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about joining the Pen15 club myself for an anemone tank. Those are very cool little tanks. I'm interested to see what people do with them.

Pen15 all the way! Can't wait to get it in and get started.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered 2 pieces of small foundation rock dry rock, 2 pounds of rock rubble, 20 pounds of reef saver dry rock, E-Marco mortar, and super glue accelerator from BRS. I was also going to get a big bottle of their super glue, but they have been out of stock. If all the rock comes in before it comes back in, it looks like I'll be making a trip to the dollar store, or maybe a few dollar stores, to get enough super glue. The rocks should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. Still no deliver date for the tank, which is fine, just means I can start cycling in a Tupperware before it comes in.

Can't wait to get started though! I keep thinking about all the shapes I hope I can make. Hopefully the aquascaping goes well cause I'd like to do it when I go to a bigger tank too.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been working on the scape today. Any thoughts before I mortar is together?

I checked, ita plenty balances without the cups, I just didn’t trust super glue to hold it up before I had it mortared. Also thinking about extending the lower right edge further forward but not sure what it will gain me for coral placement other than an more cave area for fish.

View from the right:
CD887551-CD5E-4A0C-9E31-63E71D4E8C40.jpeg

View from the left:
73E5C0B5-7A98-4A86-AF3F-B9FF7852F93B.jpeg

View from the front:

77F32DCB-5366-4DF1-AE95-5083692F3A95.jpeg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you decided on no sand? I've never gone that route and will be interested to see how things differ from the start.

Yep. I want to do bare bottom on my Dream tank, so I’d like some experience with it. If I hate it, i can always add it back.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great you’re getting it wet! Let’s get it salty! I saw a recent BRS video where they added MB7 directly to the dry rock before putting it in. I tried it and.... crickets. No idea if it made a difference. Can’t wait to see more pics.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving that aquascape! Natural and artistic.

I had a blast making it. I really enjoyed it. I made a video that I need to edit and upload onto YouTube.

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape looks awesome, should be no problem getting flow all around the main rock. Should be a relief , pumping all the water flow and no sand flying all over the place!

Can't wait to see the bottom filled with a zoa garden!

DBS Superleggera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great in the video! When the tank cleared up at the end, I could envision it just full of coral.

Quick question, which compartment would you put the heater in?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back