Wave Pumps / Natutal Reef Flow

PristineReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 65gal tank. Currently run 2 current USA wave Pumps and also a hydor 1150. I have the hydor running along the top from 1 end to the other towards my overflow. Then the 2 current USA on both ends upper 2/3 of tank running alternating for wave action. My hammer on sand bed it getting blasted. It has helped in keeping sand bed cleaner besides opposite end of overflow. I've tried eliminating hydor but then tank seems to not get enough flow. I don't want to spend $$$ on vortex Pumps but I think I need something different. Considering jebao rw15 for better control over each pump verse current USA. Thoughts? Recommendations?

**Current USA Pumps are currently on ends not back wall! Older photo. I've been moving them around to figure it out with no progress.

20210821_104516.jpg 20210821_104527.jpg

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what spectrum lighting is that. i cant figure out what kelvin that teal is. i would like it if i could boost it with some white spotlights.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would buy 2 gyres, one on each end - with alternating flow - I do 30 seconds one direction - and 30 seconds in the opposite direction - with a ramp up - so that the max flow is at the 30 second time. This keeps great flow, keeps the sand bed completely clean - with no real blowing. My guess is that it would cost more - but - you'll have less pumps, more efficiency, and it will solve your problem.

Or - you could move the hammer.

PS - decreasing the number of pumps while keeping the flow - will also decrease the number of wires showing in the back of your tank.

PPS - Totally agree that flow is whats 'lacking' in our tanks. I was thinking you could use the gyres and sell the other pumps/wave makers to help defray the cost of the gyres?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back