Wayne's 125g build

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from Kentucky. I had a 75 gallon about 12 years ago, and had to take it all down and sold just about everything due to a long distance move for work. I'm now slowly getting everything to start back with a 125gallon mixed tank - live rock and live sand, some lps and sps, and a few fish. I bought a used 125 gallon glass tank with stand and 40 gallon acrylic sump, along with some lights and a no-name skimmer that I've already replaced, and two LED light bars (2 x orbit loop 36" lights). Here's some pictures:

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

The tank is drilled in bottom with an over flow in each back corner, two holes on each side, 1 3/4" holes, so I believe that will be a 1" bulkhead. So my plan is to do 2 drains on each side and a 1" return, similar to this:

I'm going to use the lights that came with it, part of the current loop system, along with two of the viparspectra 165w lights, putting the orbit lights as close the front and back as possible and the viparspectras centered. From what I've read, the orbits don't have enough strength to reach the bottom well.

For the return pump, I purchased the current eflux 3170gph dc pump, which will integrate with the loop system. For flow in the tank, I have three of the current wave pumps, 2100gph adjustable.

For my skimmer, I have the Simplicity 240dc.

The sump I'm planning to use:
Sump.jpg

I'm not sure how to utilize each of the compartments in the sump. My initial thought is to have the right most section as a refugium with chaeto and some small live rock, with the return pump in the left most section and have the return line tee-d off to the refugium. Have the skimmer in the biggest section to the left of the refugium, and have all four returns dump into that section. Thoughts?

I'm getting the parts together to setup a reefpi to control an ATO, heater, temp, the viparspectras, camera, and other things later.

I'm waiting on the bulkheads to arrive and then start plumbing and get water in it in a few weeks. I'm going to order the 125 gallon "package" from Tamp Bay Saltwater if I can ever get through to them; I used them on my previous tank and loved it except for the cost of shipping!

I'm hoping to find a reef club in my neck of the woods, eastern KY.

Wayne

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work for the sump? I can't find anything on C&R Aquatics to see how they intended the layout of this sump.

Sump.jpg

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting the plumbing:

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

I'm going to dry fit everything, then take it all apart and spray it with krylon fusion black so it will blend in better. Has anyone used krylon fusion long-term? Any chance it can flake off and cause issues later?

Finally talked to someone at TBS - they have a several back orders and bad weather for the next month or so - will be "weeks" before I can order live rock and sand :(

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Lowes and HD, neither carry gate valves, so waiting on another online order :( Never thought 5 gate valves would be as much as some lights!

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received several parts for my ReefPI build last night. Will get some pics up this weekend as I work on it. Still waiting on my gate valvesto arrive to finish my plumbing. I think I've decided against painting the PVC that will be in contact with the water - it appears that fusion paint isn't sold anymore, and I'm afraid any other paint might flake off. Still waiting to hear from TBS for the live rock and sand, so this might be long ways out before I can add water and get started.

Any reason to not fill the DT and sump with tapwater to leak check and verify pumps, powerheads, etc., then dump the water out later when ready to fill with RODI?

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposed to receive first shipment of liverock and sand from tbsaltwater Thursday morning! I finished up the plumbing last night, will be putting water in this evening - hopefully no leaks or other issues!

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the first shipment of liverock and sand from tbsaltwater today. I started adding sand to my display, and soon discovered that my acrylic sump has a very small leak at one pinpoint on a corner seam. I drained all water out of the sump, dried it as best I could and ran a bead of Weldon 16 on all seams. I’m letting that cure now for about 2 hrs, but can’t wait 24 hrs due to needing to get the rock and sand into the tank. Hopefully it will be ok.
C76750BE-D827-4A4B-9D5A-F109227A073C.jpeg

C3FF3833-279B-4562-8226-A56E20288AF9.jpeg

A0F2EE0D-1D81-4D20-BB60-F3B97F103B0B.jpeg

7C16F749-54B3-4A69-BEBE-368BFEB3D531.jpeg

943DE641-5933-44DD-8317-CE819645A91A.jpeg

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leaking is fixed, knock on wood. I got the remaining sand and rock in the tank, but it was too cloudy to do any type of rock scaping. I’ll wait for the water to clear and position everything better.

I’m working on getting my lights to be controlled by reefpi, hopefully resolve that this weekend.
Reefpi is running my very simple ATO, and that’s running smoothly so far.
now I need to just relax and monitor for any ammonia spikes and do water changes until the cycle completes and get my second shipment in of the “cleanup crew” and decorator rocks.
here’s a cloudy pick of it last night. I’ll getsome better picks after work today.
D6C3BAF6-7DB4-419D-9D86-6869208D93BB.jpeg

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way better start than a dry-rock start. I'm really missing the live rock I got for my tank in Cali.

Good luck on your cycle - I hope all the cool stuff comes through!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! I'm running a 6' 125 for my display tank.

I'd do the three Viparsectra's for coverage, maybe even remove the lenses for better blending being lower to the water line.

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unfortunate result of utilizing live rock!
Sometimes unfortunate (thankfully, haven't heard any clicking yet!). So far, just some crabs, snails, possibly a small fish reported by my daughter but I haven't seen it yet), small starfish, but nothing of the nuisance variety that I've seen yet.

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My simplicity skimmer is working great and very quiet.
IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent half the day yesterday, Sunday, doing water changes. Ammonia level went up to somewhere a little over 1, had to change out about 70-80 gallons to get it back down. I checked all of the rock but did not find what was causing it. Will be checking it again when I get home this evening.

OP
OP
waynel

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed a sponge last night that didn't survive and did another water change. Waiting for the cycle to complete...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back