WB 20 Anemone Cube

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have been talking about doing a small anemone only tank. Well this weekend we pulled the trigger and ordered what we need to get this started. This is our second tank and as I said earlier an anemone only tank, were thinking bta, mini carpets, and rock flowers. Placed the order through Marine Depot this weekend and should have everything by end of the week.

Tank:
Waterbox 20 cube

Equipment:
AI Prime 16HD
50 watt titanium heater
TUNZE nano ATO
Octo Aquatics filter cup

Stocking:
2 clowns (LFS usually has a good variety so will choose on the spot)
1 small goby possibly clown or 2 spot
Cleaner shrimp
Sexy shrimp
Mix of snails

For now I'm not planning on a skimmer due to the low (in my opinion) bio load. I will also be doing weekly 10-15% water changes. But if needed in the future we can add a skimmer. I will have a small bag of carbon in the filter cup. As for power heads I don't plan on using one because it is anemones so if I need more flow I'll swap out the return pump.

We have the "plan" to do a slow cycle unlike the last tank where we added water and instant bacteria and fish... Plan is to take a few marine pure balls from my current tank and some fritz or brightwell starter. Hopefully the cycled media will help cycle quick.

Any input on the stocking outside of the clowns is welcome. One or two small fish is all were planning to add with the clow pair. Trying to keep the bio load low in this tank.

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well received the tank today.....but the bottom is cracked pretty bad. Emailed marine depot so hopefully I can get a replacement sent.

20200819_223833.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got off the phone with them. They are sending a new tank. Fingers crossed this one is good. I'm ready to get this set up and running.

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uodate:
Replacement tank arrived last night while I was at work. This one however is not broken. Picked up some rock from a lfs and messed around a bit with the scape. Its locally sourced rock that has been cleaned and dried. I'm glad I found this rock because it had lots of bigger holes which should be very good for the anemones to attach to. All I need to do now is figure out the stand for it. I am close to several thrift and second hand stores so this week I'm going to be checking them out to see what I can find. If i can't find something that way I'll end up building a stand.

20200822_155503.jpg 20200822_155510.jpg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rock! Are you planning to do some RBTA, green BTAs, or rose BTAs? Something different? A mix? I’m planning an anemone dominant tank right now and I’m very excited to see what happens with yours!

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rock! Are you planning to do some RBTA, green BTAs, or rose BTAs? Something different? A mix? I’m planning an anemone dominant tank right now and I’m very excited to see what happens with yours!
My wife and I have been throwing this idea around for almost 2 years now. It was initially just Bubble Tips. But now its going to be a mix of bubble tips, rock flowers, and maxi minis. I want as many colors as possible. Rainbows, black widows, greens, what ever looks cool.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have been throwing this idea around for almost 2 years now. It was initially just Bubble Tips. But now its going to be a mix of bubble tips, rock flowers, and maxi minis. I want as many colors as possible. Rainbows, black widows, greens, what ever looks cool.
Yes! That sounds exactly like what I’m going for with mine! Just as a precaution, I have black widows with an RBTA in another tank, the black widow is very evil and will not touch any other anemone, it burns the others and makes them move away but then moves itself. Very confusing anemone, may just be my strain but all the splits from it also do this. They’re happy enough to live with splits from the same mother though. All my babies from that mother live all stacked on top of each other, I don’t understand. Again, this may just be my mother, I’m not sure.

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! That sounds exactly like what I’m going for with mine! Just as a precaution, I have black widows with an RBTA in another tank, the black widow is very evil and will not touch any other anemone, it burns the others and makes them move away but then moves itself. Very confusing anemone, may just be my strain but all the splits from it also do this. They’re happy enough to live with splits from the same mother though. All my babies from that mother live all stacked on top of each other, I don’t understand. Again, this may just be my mother, I’m not sure.
Thanks for that info. I'll keep that in mind. Were planning a trip to ReefSmart in December for this tank because shows is were I have always found the best deals. That gives the tank time to mature a bit as well. What tank are you planning on using for your build?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 45 lagoon that I finished cycling. It’s currently got some high end sps but I’m getting bored of them. Gonna switch it up. Sell/move the sps to a different tank then add anemones (at least 3 different varieties of bta, rock flower, mini maxi), fire clowns, some bright softies, definitely a few clams (I’m aiming for at least 2), and you know, whatever catches my eye at the LFS! Very excited for my fish list, a pair of fire clowns, Madagascar coral croucher, captive bred ruby red dragonet (after I get copepods up), and a small angel I’m thinking flameback.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sounds like a nice plan!

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 45 lagoon that I finished cycling. It’s currently got some high end sps but I’m getting bored of them. Gonna switch it up. Sell/move the sps to a different tank then add anemones (at least 3 different varieties of bta, rock flower, mini maxi), fire clowns, some bright softies, definitely a few clams (I’m aiming for at least 2), and you know, whatever catches my eye at the LFS! Very excited for my fish list, a pair of fire clowns, Madagascar coral croucher, captive bred ruby red dragonet (after I get copepods up), and a small angel I’m thinking flameback.
Nice should be awesome. Were going low on the number of fish. 2 clowns a orange spot/stripe goby and pistol shrimp pair

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g Waterbox with 2 RBTA. They are doing great; however, my experience is they always move to the most inconvenient location in the tank. In my case, they love the rock facing the back of the tank LOL.

You might want to get clowns that are native to BTAs as they are most likely to host. I have a black clown that I suspect is really a maroon clown in dark clothing. He has taken to the BTAs well and is fun to watch.

I also have a purple dotty back. Beautiful fish and does well with clowns.

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g Waterbox with 2 RBTA. They are doing great; however, my experience is they always move to the most inconvenient location in the tank. In my case, they love the rock facing the back of the tank LOL.

You might want to get clowns that are native to BTAs as they are most likely to host. I have a black clown that I suspect is really a maroon clown in dark clothing. He has taken to the BTAs well and is fun to watch.

I also have a purple dotty back. Beautiful fish and does well with clowns.
Yea I have one bta in my main tank now and it moved right to the back when I got it. Luckily I can still see it. When I put this scape together it worked out to where I should be able to see them where ever they move to.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have one bta in my main tank now and it moved right to the back when I got it. Luckily I can still see it. When I put this scape together it worked out to where I should be able to see them where ever they move to.
Here is a pic of my Waterbox 10g. The nems are behind the Pink Nepthea.
973C79F2-C8D1-477A-B1E9-40F9C0374826.jpeg

OP
OP
ks2509

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter cup arrived last night from octoaquarics. Just like I wanted. Planning to run some type of carbon like chemi pure or redsea carbon in the bottom and then filter floss on top.

20200828_085513.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back