We are all suckers!

365reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else feel like we are all getting ripped off buy reef lighting manufacturers??
I mean really! It doesn’t cost the company any more money to produce the spectrum LED’s that we require vs the white LED’s you can buy in a shop light for instance!
I picked up two of these 24”x16” lights with a decent design and full of LED’s from front to back and it cost $99 each!
All it would take is instead of all white LED’s if there where blues mixed in it, it would be a great reef light!
Now I know there’s gonna be a bunch of lighting experts chiming in with their two cents saying “this cost more or that cost more, the LEDs are different they’re more expensive”
I’m not buying any of it! It would be a very minimal increase to do what we require for reefs versus what they do for a shop lights!
The fact that we all spend top dollar on these lights nowadays is just ridiculous!
$1000 per light, in comparison to the size shop light I got for $99.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else feel like we are all getting ripped off buy reef lighting manufacturers??
I mean really! It doesn’t cost the company any more money to produce the spectrum LED’s that we require vs the white LED’s you can buy in a shop light for instance!
I picked up two of these 24”x16” lights with a decent design and full of LED’s from front to back and it cost $99 each!
All it would take is instead of all white LED’s if there where blues mixed in it, it would be a great reef light!
Now I know there’s gonna be a bunch of lighting experts chiming in with their two cents saying “this cost more or that cost more, the LEDs are different they’re more expensive”
I’m not buying any of it! It would be a very minimal increase to do what we require for reefs versus what they do for a shop lights!
The fact that we all spend top dollar on these lights nowadays is just ridiculous!
$1000 per light, in comparison to the size shop light I got for $99.
Simple answer...dont buy the $1,000 light. You yourself said you have options. Sounds like a pretty simple answer. If you CHOOSE to buy a $1,000, how are you being ripped off?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank U GIF

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. There are cheap reef lights to be found along with the $500+ ones.

Your paying for quality control, R&D, and marketing.

Quality components cost more than mass produced. Shop lights are so mass produced vs reef lighting as well so all of that factors in as well.

When you rent a production line for 10k units vs 100m you get less of a deal. Plus less overall net sale volume which all factors in.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not just paying for the item, you're paying for customer service, research, etc etc. Buy one of those 100 chinese lights and tell me how great the customer service is when it burns the house down. Not to mention it has no Wifi compatability, etc etc.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. There are cheap reef lights to be found along with the $500+ ones.

Your paying for quality control, R&D, and marketing.

Quality components cost more than mass produced. Shop lights are so mass produced vs reef lighting as well so all of that factors in as well.

When you rent a production line for 10k units vs 100m you get less of a deal. Plus less overall net sale volume which all factors in.
Your a busy guy today found you again

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is way too much money. They want $40 for a tank scraper. The reason I suppose is because we are a small market. So we need to encourage others to be involved in the hobby. Just cant seem to get past the snickers, and glassy eyes yet myself.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not just paying for the item, you're paying for customer service, research, etc etc. Buy one of those 100 chinese lights and tell me how great the customer service is when it burns the house down. Not to mention it has no Wifi compatability, etc etc.

I forgot about chips... If you haven't heard they are kinda like gold today.. wifi modules aren't cheap. Cheap to make - yes, but when you are buying already made ones they cost a little bit.

the lord of the rings GIF

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while others are making great points, I have to agree with you, I would have to see their profit margins before I would feel like I am paying a fair price.

There is no doubt in my mind the profit margin could be reduced. I'm sure not all of that is going back into R&D. Maybe it does for some companies, but I'm sure not all.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I haven't figured out how a box of leds is the same price as a $800 phone that can do a hundred different things, or a computer. My home theater receiver at $650 has way more technology and components. So yes, I feel leds are a rip off. I'm DIY over my tank.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer...dont buy the $1,000 light.
I also cringe at the price of everything reef related, but I'm ok with paying that price. I've been in the hobby long enough to know you buy crap, you get crap.
Buy one of those 100 chinese lights and tell me how great the customer service is when it burns the house down.
Very true, got my nephew one of those drone. Sure enough it died within the hour.
Contact phone number was overseas, sent several emails ... still haven't got a response ( that was 8 months ago)

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no doubt in my mind the profit margin could be reduced. I'm sure not all of that is going back into R&D. Maybe it does for some companies, but I'm sure not all.
I have to say I like the fact that mine come with a built in scedule for SPS, and LPS . I am really looking forward to checking them with my Apogee $ 1000 dollar Par/ PFFD /PPFD meter

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of things are overpriced but there are options out there that are cheaper and also work. But I think for a lot of these companies charge high prices because it’s a small market with lots of competition so higher prices to make it worth while.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 68 76.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back