We are all suckers!

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby since 2005 and I have had many different lights over the years from T8's to T5's then to led's the cheap Chinese one's and cheap Russian ones too, but now I have also paid 1000 for my 2 Red sea 160s led's and I am happy with every penny spent on them, as I now how a thriving aquarium instead of a surviving aquarium you get what you pay for, it boils down to experience of, if its too good to be true then it usually is a falsehood and will inevitably let you down by short life or worse as said previously fire

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about chips... If you haven't heard they are kinda like gold today.. wifi modules aren't cheap. Cheap to make - yes, but when you are buying already made ones they cost a little bit.

the lord of the rings GIF

Wifi modules are VERY cheap. The ESP32 is an excellent module/microcontroller and it's like $5.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not just paying for the item, you're paying for customer service, research, etc etc. Buy one of those 100 chinese lights and tell me how great the customer service is when it burns the house down. Not to mention it has no Wifi compatability, etc etc.

Is ecotech going to cover the cost of a house fire?

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe replace your faulty burnt light for you if it's under warranty still????

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi modules are VERY cheap. The ESP32 is an excellent module/microcontroller and it's like $5.

I could be wrong but I don't think the manufactures previously mentioned are using the ESP32, they each probably have a modified off the shelf chip to some proprietary spec.

Again wifi modules are dirt cheap to make, but I don't see Red Sea, Exotech etc. Making their own, they are probably sourcing from a reputable chip maker that isn't charging bargain basement prices. I don't work for them so who knows, but as stated before that cost is R&D, marketing, QC, and profits.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else feel like we are all getting ripped off buy reef lighting manufacturers??
I mean really! It doesn’t cost the company any more money to produce the spectrum LED’s that we require vs the white LED’s you can buy in a shop light for instance!
I picked up two of these 24”x16” lights with a decent design and full of LED’s from front to back and it cost $99 each!
All it would take is instead of all white LED’s if there where blues mixed in it, it would be a great reef light!
Now I know there’s gonna be a bunch of lighting experts chiming in with their two cents saying “this cost more or that cost more, the LEDs are different they’re more expensive”
I’m not buying any of it! It would be a very minimal increase to do what we require for reefs versus what they do for a shop lights!
The fact that we all spend top dollar on these lights nowadays is just ridiculous!
$1000 per light, in comparison to the size shop light I got for $99.
You're not paying just for the lighting. You're paying for the staffing, the benefits, the research and development, the logistics and the feature set. Are they still expensive? Absolutely, I agree. But it's not just the components. Also, there are plenty of successful reef tanks using cheap LEDS or T5 lights.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. There are cheap reef lights to be found along with the $500+ ones.

Your paying for quality control, R&D, and marketing.

Quality components cost more than mass produced. Shop lights are so mass produced vs reef lighting as well so all of that factors in as well.

When you rent a production line for 10k units vs 100m you get less of a deal. Plus less overall net sale volume which all factors in.

The engineering of some lights may also be more intense, such as kessil style lights compared to seemingly more simple designs like orphek or reef breeders

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The engineering of some lights may also be more intense, such as kessil style lights compared to seemingly more simple designs like orphek or reef breeders

New bells & whistles drive up that R&D component

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No matter how bad the equipment, if the person operating it is knowledgeable, it will work. It goes the other way too.

a knowledgeable person wouldnt buy equipment that doesn’t address their needs.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do definitely think that some other things are dramatically overpriced, such as skimmers, some powerheads, reactors, and sumps. Again this is just a guess and heavily oversimplified as there are many other costs of a business.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else feel like we are all getting ripped off buy reef lighting manufacturers??
I mean really! It doesn’t cost the company any more money to produce the spectrum LED’s that we require vs the white LED’s you can buy in a shop light for instance!
I picked up two of these 24”x16” lights with a decent design and full of LED’s from front to back and it cost $99 each!
All it would take is instead of all white LED’s if there where blues mixed in it, it would be a great reef light!
Now I know there’s gonna be a bunch of lighting experts chiming in with their two cents saying “this cost more or that cost more, the LEDs are different they’re more expensive”
I’m not buying any of it! It would be a very minimal increase to do what we require for reefs versus what they do for a shop lights!
The fact that we all spend top dollar on these lights nowadays is just ridiculous!
$1000 per light, in comparison to the size shop light I got for $99.
Not me. I built my own. Ten 3W LEDs $8. Choice of colors/spectrums. A driver to power 20 of them at 80% $12. Knowledge of proper wiring. Free.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while others are making great points, I have to agree with you, I would have to see their profit margins before I would feel like I am paying a fair price.
Why does the amount of profit a company makes off of your decision to buy a product or service they offer, Have anything to do with if it is a fair price or not?

If Target is selling Cheerios at five bucks a box and you find them at Walmart for four bucks a box, What does the margin have to do with you getting a good deal?? For the record, Walmart will have higher margins at a lower price.

You should be deciding if you are getting a fair deal based on the product or service offered versus the price you're willing to pay based on those two factors.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can’t with this take. Everyone is always so pro capitalism and always complaining about jobs being shipped overseas and saying we should be buying ‘made in America’ (I realize that not everyone here is America, but you get my point), but then when a company does manufacture their product in the US (and pays their employees a decent wage with benefits, and honors their warranty, uses quality parts, etc), AND makes a profit (because capitalism), you complain about it.

And with regard to the quality and profit margins of various LED lights, there’s just a lot wrong with the OP’s assertions. First, they are not the same LEDs, not the same drivers, not the same cooling mechanisms (fans/heat sinks), not the same lenses, and not the same build quality. 1 or 0.25 watt LEDs cost much less than 3 or 5 watt LEDs. LEDs from Cree or Osram (or some of the other high quality manufacturers) cost more, but are of much higher quality, spectrum, and intensity than generic off brand LEDs, generic LEDs are not even remotely comparable. There are plenty of quality, budget friendly lights out there, but when it comes to a lot of the cheap Ali express/Amazon, knock-off, black box lights, they are not of the same quality. Many of them will grow corals, but the quality, safety, longevity, aesthetics, and the coloration and growth you’ll get out of your corals might not be comparable to that of higher quality lights. And this is to say nothing of the working conditions of the people who make cheap electronics or the environmental hazards from the production of cheap electronics.

I want to be very clear that I am not against buying cheaper lights or cheaper electronics, if that’s the budget you have or if you’re comfortable with the trade-offs of lower quality lights, by all means… But pretending that there is no difference between higher and lower end LEDs is just that, pretending.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Life above a saltwater tank means aluminum isn’t going to make the fixture cheap regardless. But I agree with the OP, that’s why I’m sticking my toe in with these Nicrews…only time will tell wont it?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy name brand lights, or other equipment, you are also paying for losses from Chinese Patent Theft from look-alike products (not talking about good companies that manufacture in China). Good US or EU company takes the time to make a nice light or pump, then Chinese IP stealing company copies it and sells it at a fraction of the cost on Amazon or eBay without any presence in the US or EU for anybody to file an IP infringement suit again. Reefers say that they don't care as long as they get cheap lights and pumps. If the company that did the R&D and had all of the skin in the game sold more units, then things could be cheaper and you would likely have shorter cycles with better products.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy name brand lights, or other equipment, you are also paying for losses from Chinese Patent Theft from look-alike products (not talking about good companies that manufacture in China). Good US or EU company takes the time to make a nice light or pump, then Chinese IP stealing company copies it and sells it at a fraction of the cost on Amazon or eBay without any presence in the US or EU for anybody to file an IP infringement suit again. Reefers say that they don't care as long as they get cheap lights and pumps. If the company that did the R&D and had all of the skin in the game sold more units, then things could be cheaper and you would likely have shorter cycles with better products.
Yes, was also going to mention this.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not me. I built my own. Ten 3W LEDs $8. Choice of colors/spectrums. A driver to power 20 of them at 80% $12. Knowledge of proper wiring. Free.
It’s really not that hard. Anyone who needs help wiring their own LED system, just ask right here. Or PM me if you don’t want to do it on this thread.

Back