Weird anemone growth?

JRP_Riley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 13.5g Marine Evo tank, I have had this LT anemone in my tank for about a month and today my LT has completely shrunk in size and now has this weird growth on the side of it. I am not sure what it is so if anyone could help me that’d be great. There has also been long strings of some slime stuff coming from the LT since I got it, what is that?
image.jpg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R first of all!
How long have you had your tank up and running? It looks like a new set up. Anemones require a mature aquarium for best chances of success. Also what are your water parameters and what kind of lighting are you using?
I’m sorry to say but it looks like your Anemone is dying. It’s gastrointestinal cavity looks like its protruding outwards from its column. I would remove it sooner than later before it degrades your water quality.
Unfortunately Anemones are not the easiest of animals to keep.

Last edited:

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it pooped his insides out doesn't look good. But idk it looks like it still open up. It's not closed and all srizzled up. So idk if it's dieing but could. E. Sorry

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a heater behind it? Looks like the foot is injured. And releasing messentrial filaments. Could have been burned. Or torn.

OP
OP
JRP_Riley

JRP_Riley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R first of all!
How long have you had your tank up and running? It looks like a new set up. Anemones require a mature aquarium for best chances of success. Also what are your water parameters and what kind of lighting are you using?
I’m sorry to say but it looks like your Anemone is dying. It’s gastrointestinal cavity looks like its protruding outwards from its column. I would remove it sooner than later before it degrades your water quality.
Unfortunately Anemones are not the easiest of animals to keep.
Yeah I was afraid it was dying, I’ve had the tank for about 3 months and it has been stable since. I’m not sure if my exact parameters but I know everything was normal last I tested the water. I am also using the the light that comes with the evo, I’ll I know it’s a 17k light and it’s plenty powerful. What would cause it to die like that?

OP
OP
JRP_Riley

JRP_Riley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a heater behind it? Looks like the foot is injured. And releasing messentrial filaments. Could have been burned. Or torn.
No that is a turkey baster I used it to keep him from blowing around in the tank, he was perfectly fine until he just lost his insides a few days ago.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is an injury of some sort. Sometimes they can recover with good water quality and small.feedings. but that is quite the wound. I would put in an acclimation box of some kind and monitor closely. If he starts to look like a ball of mush its time to come out.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was afraid it was dying, I’ve had the tank for about 3 months and it has been stable since. I’m not sure if my exact parameters but I know everything was normal last I tested the water. I am also using the the light that comes with the evo, I’ll I know it’s a 17k light and it’s plenty powerful. What would cause it to die like that?
They need to be fed. They need strong lighting. They need an aquarium that has been set up for more than a year. Research should be done on the different species of Anemone to know their husbandry requirements. Learn as much as you can to have the best chances of success.
Often times with anemones and Tridacna Clams, they can be injured, sick or dying for months and you might think it’s doing well. Then a month later and it reduces down to a cottage cheese and slime consistency. It’s best to read up about the animals you plan on purchasing plus make a list of what you have, what you want, do you have the right equipment etc. for best results.

Last edited:

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 13.5g for a LT is way too small, you want a 100g or bigger and at least a 2 inch sand bed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back