Weird coral bubble

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an issue with one of my corals anyone help me figure out why the coral is bubbling out like this?
1000017684.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an issue with one of my corals anyone help me figure out why the coral is bubbling out like this?
1000017684.jpg
Post your parameters. I believe you may have low magnesium?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the magnesium (and calcium) speculation, but I've also heard of a lot of people refuting that claim (see the bubbling sps disease thread linked in the bottom quote) - other speculated causes are scattered throughout the three quotes below:
They're basically joking that you've either got two corals or a "bounce" acan that would be potentially be valuable.

The only thing I can find on this condition is that it may potentially be caused either by some kind of high lighting (some people say LED's, others UV; it's basically thought to be similar to sunburn reaction in people) or by elevated potassium levels, and it doesn't seem to negatively impact the corals in any way (but the bubbles if popped are prone to infection):
I don't know if this is related or not, but it reminds me of when corals "bounce" unexpectedly (such as the acans discussed below):

So, it may be high lighting/UV or it may be elevated potassium; I've also heard of this happening to a number of other LPS corals (including different hammers), with suspected potential causes such as: coral starvation/lack of nutrients in tank, coral overfeeding, lack of flow, and toxins and/or activated carbon. No one seems to know for certain what causes it, though, and it doesn't seem to be harmful.
I've seen a bunch of other corals do this (see below), but I think this is my first time seeing it on a gorgonian; no one seems to know what causes it - it doesn't seem to be particularly harmful (though it can be problematic if the bubble pops), and sometimes it goes away on its own (though it may take months).

In addition to the speculated causes above, there's also speculation it may be bacterial or related to excess metals (a more specific toxins guess, essentially).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the magnesium (and calcium) speculation, but I've also heard of a lot of people refuting that claim (see the bubbling sps disease thread linked in the bottom quote) - other speculated causes are scattered throughout the three quotes below:
Me too.

I bet you didn't think about the common use of magnesium for human constipation as a model for my earlier post? :cool: Edit. Wrong emoticon :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I was/am interested in the op's parameters but I don't know if the "numbers" will explain much of what is shown in the picture. Just looking for some data to catalogue in the casual observation files.

Eventually we may have a real explanation, I do wonder if the bubbling has been documented in the wild? It appears similar to bodily expansion that is common in plate corals and other LPS, so I wonder if it is an attempt to collect food or trace elements or(?) from the environment. But, I don't know myself what we are looking at. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool::thinking-face:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too.

I bet you didn't think about the common use of magnesium for human constipation as a model for my earlier post? :cool: Edit. Wrong emoticon :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I was/am interested in the op's parameters but I don't know if the "numbers" will explain much of what is shown in the picture. Just looking for some data to catalogue in the casual observation files.

Eventually we may have a real explanation, I do wonder if the bubbling has been documented in the wild? It appears similar to bodily expansion that is common in plate corals and other LPS, so I wonder if it is an attempt to collect food or trace elements or(?) from the environment. But, I don't know myself what we are looking at. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool::thinking-face:
Haha, I definitely did not.

That's true, the more info we can gather about the condition, the more likely we are to find a cause for it.

I'm not sure, but that's an interesting thought.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back