Weird thing on anemone

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this anemone in this brand new tank and I noticed some weird ball thing hanging from it…it’s def attached but what does it look like?
7FDEDB46-79C6-4BA5-825F-493113ED606A.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a male..

Real answer, I don't see it. Any ball looking things hanging off that nem. can you circle what you're concerned about?

You mentioned brand new tank, can you elaborate?

If this is your first anenome make sure to nem proof your pumps to protect your nem, and the tank from it.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a male..

Real answer, I don't see it. Any ball looking things hanging off that nem. can you circle what you're concerned about?

You mentioned brand new tank, can you elaborate?

If this is your first anenome make sure to nem proof your pumps to protect your nem, and the tank from it.
722AEF3C-379C-427D-BD0D-4C80BF937F5C.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually the 3rd tank in the house but it’s our first little 10g cube.
We have a 50g tank overrun with Vermited snails that we are slowly breaking down and moving things to our ER tank.
But this tank is new new as of opened it out of the box yesterday and grabbed new corals at a reef show yesterday.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is too new for the anemone, too new for any animal unless you use the rocks from your previous tank, which you don't want to due to the pest.
What you see is actually what the anemone threw up due to stress.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is too new for the anemone, too new for any animal unless you use the rocks from your previous tank, which you don't want to due to the pest.
What you see is actually what the anemone threw up due to stress.
We used the water from the old tank and live rock that’s been kept wet but new pebbles. So that’s puke? Here’s the latest pic
B0ECF40E-5747-4B2A-8DC3-6D5200D3C800.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a regurgitation of a previous meal or could be stressed enough to be actually expelling.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, you bought a nem because you want a nem, but that tank needs to mature a while first.

It is likely the animal will fail to thrive and perish in such a new system.

I would recommend moving this anenome, into one of your longer term established tanks, and move it to this tank once you have achieved stability and maturity.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a regurgitation of a previous meal or could be stressed enough to be actually expelling.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, you bought a nem because you want a nem, but that tank needs to mature a while first.

It is likely the animal will fail to thrive and perish in such a new system.

I would recommend moving this anenome, into one of your longer term established tanks, and move it to this tank once you have achieved stability and maturity.
Even if the rocks have been sitting for 7 months in bac salt water from our local fish store? Still too new?

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys thanks for your input. We are now moving him to our emergency tank until the cube cycles properly.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys thanks for your input. We are now moving him to our emergency tank until the cube cycles properly.
Not only cycles. You need this tank to be mature. When it's growing Coraline, will support coral, had gone through the various algae growths and achieve stability, it's ready for a new nem.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only cycles. You need this tank to be mature. When it's growing Coraline, will support coral, had gone through the various algae growths and achieve stability, it's ready for a new nem.
Well the live rock has been growing all that for months..

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the live rock has been growing all that for months..
Then you should have a nice jump from a new start and have saved a few months.

In an abundance of caution and what is usually better for the nem, I wouldn't add it to this system, until the above criteria are meet. Those are general indices that the tank will support a bta.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should have a nice jump from a new start and have saved a few months.

In an abundance of caution and what is usually better for the nem, I wouldn't add it to this system, until the above criteria are meet. Those are general indices that the tank will support a bta.
Thank you! Def agree.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: everything in every tank besides the original died after we poured corraline in a bottle. I mean EVERYTHING. I’m completely shocked.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More details?

You crashed two tanks at the same time with Coraline in a bottle?
Yes we had 2 small clowns in the new tank one just died and the other is barely surviving so he’s floating in a bag in the original tank.
The emergency tank had 4 nems, about 10 frags and a crab. We poured coraline in both tanks and woke up to everything white with anemone threads over everything and everything just dead. I don’t get it this algae says safe for everything.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just got this anemone in this brand new tank and I noticed some weird ball thing hanging from it…it’s def attached but what does it look like?
7FDEDB46-79C6-4BA5-825F-493113ED606A.jpeg
Looks like its expelling zooxanthellae do to insufficient light which should be moderate to medium.

OP
OP
A

Aquagirl84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its expelling zooxanthellae do to insufficient light which should be moderate to medium.
He’s unfortunately dead now. The light is the light that goes with the tank (same company) so I think what shocked him was a temp change. Our heater we noticed dropped to 69F then on top of that moved him to the other more stable tank where we decided to pour our coraline in because it was expiring soon. But woke up to complete death everywhere.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He’s unfortunately dead now. The light is the light that goes with the tank (same company) so I think what shocked him was a temp change. Our heater we noticed dropped to 69F then on top of that moved him to the other more stable tank where we decided to pour our coraline in because it was expiring soon. But woke up to complete death everywhere.
Yes, that will do it and sorry to hear

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we had 2 small clowns in the new tank one just died and the other is barely surviving so he’s floating in a bag in the original tank.
The emergency tank had 4 nems, about 10 frags and a crab. We poured coraline in both tanks and woke up to everything white with anemone threads over everything and everything just dead. I don’t get it this algae says safe for everything.
Was there an anenome in each tank?

I know it's a stretch, but Is there any chance you had two walkers, get ground up by powerhead?

What exact product did you use?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back