OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I visited a few of my lfs today (Aquatic Gallery & Neptune Aquatics).

Over at Aquatic Gallery I purchased 12 blue legged hermits and 12 small nassarius snails.

On my visit to Neptunes (I love the place. Robert and the crew are always so helpful and comical). After hanging out for 1 hour, I proceeded to purchase a few corals.

Here is a red and green acan. I love the contrasting colors. I can't wait for it to blow up in my setup.
Acan Red and Green.jpg

Here is a Acropora Subulata. I found this gem at the $10 SPS section. This is supposed to have a teal/green colored base with purple tips and green polyps. This is truly a beautiful piece.

After acclimating, dipping in Revive and then placing it on the top section of my tank, within a few minutes I am able to see polyp extension! I can't wait to see the progression.
Acropora Subulata.jpg

Here is a nice 4 eye chalice. I'm loving the blue base and green and orange colored eyes.

I am not sure if this is the miami hurricane or not, but I figured for the price, I might as well pickup on a nice colored chalice.
Miami Hurrican chalice.jpg

Green ricordea. I was captivated with the coloration under the T5 bulbs, but once I saw it with the Kessil a350, my jaw just dropped. Each green polyp was almost like a highlighter green.
Ricordea Green.jpg

Last but not least is this SEXY looking zoa at Neptune Aquatics 1st main tank.

The price of this zoa was a steal, so I just had to have it. I asked one of the workers if this was a gobstopper zoa or something. He said it was a unnamed zoa and stated that I should just name it. Immediately, he came up with the name Wes Nile Virus. I am truly honored to have a zoa named after me. :tongue:
Wes Nile Virus 1.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited Neptune Aquatics today and picked up a few gems.

Here is a Acan Echinata I found inside of their $10 LPS tank. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this frag. Sure enough, I had to pick it up before somebody else did.

I love the green and orange coloration. I can't wait for this frag to grow out.
Acan Echinata.jpg

Here is a nice Lobo in the same $10 LPS frag tank. I am not kidding you, I found these two frags in the same tank.

There is another half piece of this Lobo which I may have to pickup tomorrow. $10 is a steal.

The orange and blue coloration on this piece is unbelivable under the Kessil a350's. Imagine if all blue lights were on as to how this will just glow.
Lobo.jpg

Next up are two nice pieces I picked up in the $9.99 frag section. Robert and Cerissa sure know how to reel you in with their unbelivable $10 frags. I was only planning on purchasing the two LPS above, but how can you pass up on $10 SPS frags? I know I sure can't, and I'm not even really into SPS.

GARF Bonsai coloration. I love the deep purple base with green polyps.
GARF Bonsai morph.jpg

Here is a red milli.
Milli.jpg

And here is a nice macro algae that Buddythelion hooked me up with.

I sure wasn't expecting a huge bag full of this SEXY macro. Thanks, it's already enjoying its new home.

Macro Algae.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my visit to Neptune Aquatics, I passed by 408Reefer's pad to pickup some beautiful looking zoas. 408Reefer is a great person to deal with and has a unforgetable setup. I sure was drooling over his Utter Chaos frag. I wish he had enough to frag, but they are still in its grow-out-stage.

The first picture is a group shot with 500% blue and 20% white on my Kessil a350.

From Left to Right (WOW Paly, Sunny D, Dragon Eyes, Purple Hornet, Pink Zippers, Sunny D & Orange Oxides)
Zoa Group Shot Actinic.jpg

Here is the same group shot but with 40% whites only.
Zoa Group Shot 10k.jpg

Last edited:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and nice tank! You've documented really well, it was great to read the history of the tank thus far.

Funny, you've gone with a lot of the same equipment I have been purchasing for my own upgrade...i bought the kessil A350W for my 20gal, lol, maybe we should switch.

Anyways, loving the upgrades you made, especially the lighting and Apex (i gotta get me one). Your corals are looking great too, i've been thinking about starting a zoa collection as well...in a 40 breeder...what the...

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Wes Nile Virus, I like that name more than the other ones we were thinking of. Did you see the Robert's Money Shots? LOL

Tank's looking great man!

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and nice tank! You've documented really well, it was great to read the history of the tank thus far.

Funny, you've gone with a lot of the same equipment I have been purchasing for my own upgrade...i bought the kessil A350W for my 20gal, lol, maybe we should switch.

Anyways, loving the upgrades you made, especially the lighting and Apex (i gotta get me one). Your corals are looking great too, i've been thinking about starting a zoa collection as well...in a 40 breeder...what the...

Pkunk35, thanks for reading through my build thread. I really appreciate it.

I sure am glad, I am not the only one that's viewed my thread. I just got to the point of just posting updates whether fellow reefers drop a reply or not.

As for the Apex, I definetly recommend it. I like being able to control the lights, heaters, pumps and skimmer through the app.

Looking really good. Great pickups in the cheap frag section. Wish my LFS had one of those.

Cdrewferd, Yes I got lucky at Neptune Aquatics when I saw the lobo, acan echinata and 2 sps frags in the $10 sections.

Maybe you can convince your lfs to start fragging $200 colonies of SPS and sell them as 30-40 small frag pieces. Not only will they be making their money hand over foot, but it allows reefers to takeing a chance with a coral that they never would have thought of purchasing.

Great stuff Wesley! Your tank will be filling up in no time.

Blaten, thanks for meeting me up at Aqua Exotic to complete the transaction. And also thanks for the extras. I really love the Cyphastrea Japonica.

I can't stop staring at the frags you hooked me up with. I can't pick one favorite, since the Jokers, CAR's, Blue Hornet, Lemon N Limes and Orange are all beautiful.

I will definetly purchase more zoas in the future. Let me know when you come back from vacation, so I can get more Blue Hornets and a polyp of UC's.

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Wes Nile Virus, I like that name more than the other ones we were thinking of. Did you see the Robert's Money Shots? LOL

Tank's looking great man!

Buddy, thanks for visiting my build thread.

I truly feel honored that Neptune Aquatics named a zoa after me, "Wes Nile Virus."

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 8/22/12 I received my shipment from Planet Zoa. I purchased a few People Eater zoas.

My phone camera doesn't really take great pictures, especially with the Kessil a350 over the tank.

Left -> Rights (Feeling Peachy, Toxic Lava, Blue Agave, Zero G & Red People Eater).

Planet Zoa.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 8/23/12, I was able to complete a transaction with Blaten. I love the corals I purchased from him.

Here is how Blaten wrapped up and sealed each frag. This is a great technique, so no water leak out.

Blaten Frags 1.jpg

Next is a list of all star zoas that I updated my 40 Breezie with.

Left -> Right (Jokers, CAR's, Blue Hornet, Lemon N Limes and Oranges)
6 Blaten Jokers, CAR's, BH, Lemon Limes, Orange.jpg

Here is one of the freebies I was hooked up with.

The green on this Cyphastrea Japonica is insane.
2 Cyphastrea Japonica.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8/25/12 I was able to aquire a few more zoa's to my collection.

I met up with Amayeu at Aqua Exotic on Saturday. This worked out, since he's never visited the reef store yet.

Well, I was able to purchase this no name zoa mini colony. The coloration on this frag is unbelievable. The plate has a orangish type of color, bright yellow connecting fibers from the plate to the skirts.

When I saw this frag, I thought Matt wouldn't sell it to me, since it's the only frag he has of these beauties.

If this is a familiar piece and someone can ID it, I would really appreciate it.

Aqua Exotic zoa.jpg

Here is a nice orange ricorda with a bright green mouth I added to my ric garden.

Aqua Exotic Ricordea.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATTENTION, ATTENTION. I was able to purchase a long sought after zoa from Amayeu, "the Utter Chaos." The two polyps he sold was was rather small, but after placing it in my aquarium and getting used to the perameters, the frag started to color up. It's got some bright orange pieces on it.

Not only did I purchase the Utter Chaos, but I received a few other zoa's.

Ok, first things first. I placed the plastic containers on my water level, just to get acclimated with the temps.
8 Amayeu Labels.jpg

Here is the 1st picture of the 2 polyp Utter Chaos. The polyps are pretty small right now (about the size of my red hornets, which is small), but I am sure after some tender, love and care, they will grow.

9 Amayeu UC 1.jpg

Here is a picture I took after 18+ hours in the aquarium.

The posted picture doesn't do any justice to these 2 polyps. I can somewhat see blue developing on the mouth, bright orange tips on the skirts which adds flare.

Amayeu UC 2.jpg

Here is a 1 polyp frag of Rainbows

10 Amayeu Rainbow.jpg

And here is a 2 polyp frag of Mind Blowing palys. The teal or seafoam green color on the base/plate is amazing. I can't keep my eyes of of it.

11 Amayeu Mind Blowing.jpg

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last but not least, here is a 1 polyp Rasta I purchased off of Buddythelion. He sure is a cool reefer that has a huge selection of z's & p's.

Darwin Rasta.jpg

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... your collection is getting huge... Making me want to get some more for myself! :cry:

Those UC look stunning man!

OP
OP
Wesley42079

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All day I was telling my self not to visit any reef forums since I've been purchasing corals non stop for the last week. Yes, that was a very difficult task, I caught my self visiting Reef 2 Reef and various other forums to check and see if any z's & p's were up for sale.

Well, 4pm rolls by and it's time to leave work. As I walk walking down the stairs I figured that I should check out Neptune's website. To my amazement, I saw a post where Robert had upgraded to 8 more Kessil fixture's. Well, I figured what harm would it be if I stopped on by.

So I finally arrive at the store and I was floored. The new display tank had 4 Kessil a350w's hanging and the tank looked stunning. Of course there was only water in the tank, but still, stunning none the less.

As I proceeded to make my way to the back of the shop I saw the other 4 Kessil a350w's hanging. I see that they removed the T5 fixtures. Well, the corals under the T5's looked great, now under the Kessil's, they looked mouth watering. Even the frogspawn looked tempting to buy. Of course I had to restrain myself to just look at the corals and not purchase anything.

Well, that sure went out the window when I saw a colony of rainbow acans in the $99 section. I know that it's been sitting in that tank for quite some time, but for some reason, they were calling my name. No matter how many times I walked around the shop, I always returned to the tank.

The end result for today is that I purchased the colony. I knew I couldn't help purchasing a coral today, but it is just so hard when Neptune Aquatics has the ultimate stock of corals. Their selection is second to none.

Without further delaty here are two pictures I took before acclimating them.

Blue 0% White 50%
Rainbow Acan White.jpg

Blue's 50% White's 0%
Rainbow Acan Actinic.jpg

Last edited:

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pick up! I've been staring at those rainbow acans for a long time as well! The Kessils look great huh?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back