What’s your favorite type of LPS coral? Why?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I know a lot of people love SPS corals, and they are great. But I love LPS corals. They provide so much movement and color in a reef tank and are so diverse. I love their sweeping tentacles and large polyps. I love watching euphyllia heads split. I love their feeding responses. Which is your favorite and why? Blasto, acan, torch, hammer, bubble, chalice, Goniopora, fungia, favite, Duncan, elegance, Scoly, lobo, Cyphastrea, Galaxea, Alveopora, etc.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like good ol’ Frogpsawn

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The thick bifurcated tentacles are just so nice. Get them swaying back and forth and it’s really mesmerizing. Also a bit hardier than torches and less prone to BJD.
I’ve fortunately had great luck with my torch. I’ve had mine for almost two years, since I was a beginner, started off with 2 heads and now has 10-15+ heads. One of my favs, because the long tentacles sway all around, providing so much movement in the tank. My emerald crab also likes to hide in the tentacles, which is cute.

I also love the thick bifurcated tentacles on the frogspawn. You can sometimes see some of that on hammers as well. What about FRAMMERS (frogspawn/hammer hybrids)!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy has been happy for 2 years now Probably about 100 to 125 par and low to medium flow. My nitrates are always in the 20s to even 30s phosphate from .05 to .1 my alk is stable between 8.2 and 8.8 tested weekly. It's just one of those things. My acans are meh but he is thriving

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This guy has been happy for 2 years now Probably about 100 to 125 par and low to medium flow. My nitrates are always in the 20s to even 30s phosphate from .05 to .1 my alk is stable between 8.2 and 8.8 tested weekly. It's just one of those things. My acans are meh but he is thriving
Nice! Yeah, my acans are thriving and fluffy. Went from 2 heads to like 10 within a few months. But my lobos die. I’ll try another lobo down the line probably. Do you think the higher nitrates are necessary for lobos? My phosphates are 0.03-0.1, but my nitrates are 1-10. Similar alk as you. I wonder if calc or mag level matters.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Elegance corals by far for me
Love elegance corals! So much movement. I had an amazing, huge turquoise elegance with purple/pink streaks throughout the body and pink tips but the skeleton was cracked in a rock fall when I was rescaping, and it died. One of my favorite corals. Will definitely replace it once I find the right one.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Yeah, my acans are thriving and fluffy. Went from 2 heads to like 10 within a few months. But my lobos die. I’ll try another lobo down the line probably. Do you think the higher nitrates are necessary for lobos? My phosphates are 0.03-0.1, but my nitrates are 1-10. Similar alk as you. I wonder if calc or mag level matters.
My calcium averages 450 and mag 1450 to 1500. Who knows. Every system is different

Ursuladives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas are a softie, not an lps, but also nice. Frogspawn are great. Why do you like frogspawn over other euphyllia?
oh no i realize that i was only mentioning them due to the neon colors i love so much, i think its the shape and the way they move in the flow of the water; just beautiful to watch

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Love elegance corals! So much movement. I had an amazing, huge turquoise elegance with purple/pink streaks throughout the body and pink tips but the skeleton was cracked in a rock fall when I was rescaping, and it died. One of my favorite corals. Will definitely replace it once I find the right one.
Wow any old photos of it?

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hammer. I was able to find one. I have a frag in my tank. Shipping was delayed a day so a bunch of the tips of the heads came off and it is still regaining its color. The heads that are 100% look exactly like the photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230324_130652_Adblock Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20230324_130652_Adblock Browser.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow any old photos of it?
IMG_6920.png

The photo doesn’t do it justice, there’s even more pink streaks throughout the flesh not seen in the photo. My green clown goby would hang out inside it too, as it would sway with the flow and its tentacles would hit his face. Lol Very cute.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This hammer. I was able to find one. I have a frag in my tank. Shipping was delayed a day so a bunch of the tips of the heads came off and it is still regaining its color. The heads that are 100% look exactly like the photo.
Wow! Love the colors!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back