What’s your favorite type of LPS coral? Why?

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow! Love the colors!
Here’s my favorite hammer that I have. It’s got 20+ heads.
IMG_6625.jpeg

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
IMG_6920.png

The photo doesn’t do it justice, there’s even more pink streaks throughout the flesh not seen in the photo. My green clown goby would hang out inside it too, as it would sway with the flow and its tentacles would hit his face. Lol Very cute.
Wow that’s amazing

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some scoly's! Even though im having a hard time with them now :( i think its some kind of disease or virus.... but this was my tank before it crashed due to a failed byropsis fluc treatment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614_184033_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614_184033_Gallery.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love me some scoly's! Even though im having a hard time with them now :( i think its some kind of disease or virus.... but this was my tank before it crashed due to a failed byropsis fluc treatment
Gorgeous scolys! I love them too. I only have one. I wish you the best in getting things back up and running successfully. It’s tough. I’ve been there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know a lot of people love SPS corals, and they are great. But I love LPS corals. They provide so much movement and color in a reef tank and are so diverse. I love their sweeping tentacles and large polyps. I love watching euphyllia heads split. I love their feeding responses. Which is your favorite and why? Blasto, acan, torch, hammer, bubble, chalice, Goniopora, fungia, favite, Duncan, elegance, Scoly, lobo, Cyphastrea, Galaxea, Alveopora, etc.
For me:
Elegance coral
Trachy coral
Scoly coral
Euphyllia
Goniopora

These are colorful, forgiving and can handle various light and flow patterns

660g 3.30a.jpg
600g progress d.jpg

jsmkmavity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobos are my favorite that i have had. I like the colors better of some of the trachys and scolys but the price difference deters me from owning them.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me:
Elegance coral
Trachy coral
Scoly coral
Euphyllia
Goniopora

These are colorful, forgiving and can handle various light and flow patterns

660g 3.30a.jpg
600g progress d.jpg
Any tips on keeping the elegance? I've tried them a few times and they do well for six months to a year and then just wither and die while everything else is fine.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I have 8 different torches, 10 different hammers, 2 frogspawn and 4 octospawn. I guess hammers win! :D

Lately I've been into gonis (4 types) and I'm building up the micromussa collection (OG micros, not acans).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any tips on keeping the elegance? I've tried them a few times and they do well for six months to a year and then just wither and die while everything else is fine.
Moderate water flow and lighting are crucial. Too little flow and they will be miserable and too much like euphyllia coral- you risk tearing the flesh off the skeleton. Moderate flow will provide food and nutrients to reach them and being a photosynthetic coral, provide moderate to medium light will help with their zooxanthellae which is within them to provide color and energy.
They must be fed 2-3x a week with foods such as krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of fish, and shrimp. Powdered foods such as reef roids will not satisfy their needs.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Frogspawn and bubble here. I prefer frogspawn over other euphylia because I can't keep the others alive.
Bubble because it's my biggest and oldest coral.
20230614_205541.jpg
That’s a nice bubble coral! Mine just doesn’t seem to grow. How long did it take to get to that size? Any recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My Duncan looking fat and happy. It adds movement to the reef and tolerated my beginner mistakes very well. Adjust to 720.

Nice! I think I have the same Duncan. Mine is similar in size. There are definitely super forgiving. It was one of my first ever corals, if not my first coral, and it has grown and survived many mistakes by me, thankfully.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hmmm... I have 8 different torches, 10 different hammers, 2 frogspawn and 4 octospawn. I guess hammers win! :D

Lately I've been into gonis (4 types) and I'm building up the micromussa collection (OG micros, not acans).
Wow, that’s amazing. Such a great euphyllia garden I’m sure!

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch my torch for long stretches every night. It's so relaxing to me. Sometimes I try and guess what setting my wave maker is on by its movement.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I watch my torch for long stretches every night. It's so relaxing to me. Sometimes I try and guess what setting my wave maker is on by its movement.
I also love my torch. Been with me since near the beginning and has grown a great deal. Love the movement it provides to the tank. Feel free to share a photo!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back