What’s your favorite type of LPS coral? Why?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I know a lot of people love SPS corals, and they are great. But I love LPS corals. They provide so much movement and color in a reef tank and are so diverse. I love their sweeping tentacles and large polyps. I love watching euphyllia heads split. I love their feeding responses. Which is your favorite and why? Blasto, acan, torch, hammer, bubble, chalice, Goniopora, fungia, favite, Duncan, elegance, Scoly, lobo, Cyphastrea, Galaxea, Alveopora, etc.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love both but my main tank is SPS dominated with chalices on the bottom. My other tank is mixed with SPS, chalices, and softies. Guess what? The in-laws and friends like the mixed reef better! They are fascinated by the colorful chalices & softies, swaying with the current. They said that my main tank is "boring" and full of dead corals with no movement!

Well, what do they know?@#$ I'm a stick head and love it! ;)

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hahahaha. I’m guilty of also thinking at one time that sps tanks look like “dead corals with no movement”. But I’ve come around. I have mostly lps and softies, but I’ve been acquiring some very easy sps corals (pocillipora, Montipora, Stylophora) in the past 6 months, and I actually really like them. I love how fluffy my Stylo gets. They provide a different dynamic than lps do. More architectural peaks and such within the scape. There’s a place for it all. I have a mixed reef for that reason. But mad respect and aww for the sps tanks.

I also LOVE chalices. Even though they don’t provide movement, they are so colorful and expansive.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices are cool but they don’t grow as fast as SPS — my rainbow chalice has been in hibernation for at least 18mos! However, some do grow exponentially massive once they settled in. I have 3 massive colonies of the JF Goldmeister, Mummy Eye, and Miami Hurricane.

Torches are also nice — good movement but I refuse to pay ridiculous $$$ for them! They used to be starter corals but now we’re dealing with Holy Grail (more like Holy Crap tbh) but that’s just me. I blame LED for this - lol

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Chalices are cool but they don’t grow as fast as SPS — my rainbow chalice has been in hibernation for at least 18mos! However, some do grow exponentially massive once they settled in. I have 3 massive colonies of the JF Goldmeister, Mummy Eye, and Miami Hurricane.

Torches are also nice — good movement but I refuse to pay ridiculous $$$ for them! They used to be starter corals but now we’re dealing with Holy Grail (more like Holy Crap tbh) but that’s just me. I blame LED for this - lol
Hahaha. You’re hilarious. I agree that these holy grail and other designer torches are so overpriced. I just have a relatively plain torch that I bought with two heads a long time ago, and it’s grown to have like 15+ heads. It provides movement, which I love. Of course I’d love to have a holy grail with those colors but not paying that price.

If you’re ever fragging and selling any of your chalices, let me know! Do you have any photos to share?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorites would be Gonis, Torches and Frog/Octospawn. I would put Micromussa/Acans close behind as well. Here’s a few pics of them

90BC3601-24EA-4D7F-B280-731730CEFA9E.jpeg 1F847C34-8AC9-48D9-8D4C-845D424CE08F.jpeg D8976227-F0DB-4D5E-8BDF-02B2B91EBDF8.jpeg DAC4F8DF-C0FB-4C16-84B6-B0C8E6ECF1B1.jpeg E5D93930-C094-428E-AD63-F93F99BCFEE1.jpeg
5461D562-E97A-4FA1-A546-010D97F342C8.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back