What are some good personality filled fish?

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, dottybacks are not good fish for peaceful community tanks. I had one that killed a firefish.
Although they are pretty, they were not on my stock list from the beginning. Also should I have a pair of clowns? People say it’s a sin not too but a pair can get large and aggressive ime. Every tank has clowns and I feel like I want something different.

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dwarf angel that touches fungia, Montipora, and certain softies. So it can be a hit or miss with these fish
That’s also another reason I skipped on a dwarf. Maybe in another tank but not this time.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Would a 40b be to small or would it be ok? I think they can get to something like 6” iirc.
I think it would be fine, mine has been in my tank for 2+yrs & is about 5". He doesn't swim all over the tank mostly stays within 1' of his home.

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine, mine has been in my tank for 2+yrs & is about 5". He doesn't swim all over the tank mostly stays within 1' of his home.
Ok, I’d be so happy to have one. I’m probably not gonna try a sand sifter. Thanks for all the help.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although they are pretty, they were not on my stock list from the beginning. Also should I have a pair of clowns? People say it’s a sin not too but a pair can get large and aggressive ime. Every tank has clowns and I feel like I want something different.
It’s up to you on the clowns. Don’t feel like you have to some just because of how popular they are, but if you like them, then go for it.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Overrated. Guess which fish have been the biggest pain for me?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random guess... dotty?

Seriously I have a full grown onyx percula clown and she harrasses everyone in a 180. In a 40b holding tank she was way worse. I wouldnt do it.

I have an orchid dottyback that's really bold. You might like one of them. Orchid is top left.

20200207_174644.jpg

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously I have a full grown onyx percula clown and she harrasses everyone in a 180. In a 40b holding tank she was way worse. I wouldnt do it.

I have an orchid dottyback that's really bold. You might like one of them. Orchid is top left.

20200207_174644.jpg
Yeah clowns are cool but I want some other fish. Who knows though, I change my mind everyday lol

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a scientific name for a certain fish? I can’t seem to find anything named “prognathodes.”
Yea its a genus of small butterflyfish, the atlantic longnose butterfly being the smallest at 4 inches, and the most common too (prognathodes aculeatus)

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a long shot, but check out a skillet fish. They stay suction cupped to the glass and can eat out of your hand. They only get to be a few inches and dont bother anything that cant fit into its mouth. Imo one of the coolest personalities and always out to be seen.

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch out for Gramma's and Blennies. My gramma does not like my tailspot at all and isn't too fond of anyone else in the tank either.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back