What can the Random Flow Generator handle for GPH? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellloooo Reefers!

Because of your support across the AskBRStv channels, we just keep knocking these videos out!
Thank you all! :)

Today I answer a question from our Facebook reefing community who asked about the flow requirements on the 3D printed return pump nozzles. Pretty cool way to harness a little something extra from your return lines!

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellloooo Reefers!

Because of your support across the AskBRStv channels, we just keep knocking these videos out!
Thank you all! :)

Today I answer a question from our Facebook reefing community who asked about the flow requirements on the 3D printed return pump nozzles. Pretty cool way to harness a little something extra from your return lines!

Exactly what I was looking for yesterday. Then you post it today. Thanks, Randy!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much flow does it "kill" if any?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hard to say without a real way to test GPH output in open water. I'd imagine is nominal enough that you wouldn't need to make adjustments or upsize your return pump to compensate. It's not something I'd personally stress over.

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say without a real way to test GPH output in open water. I'd imagine is nominal enough that you wouldn't need to make adjustments or upsize your return pump to compensate. It's not something I'd personally stress over.
Hey Randy, if I have two of the 1/2 inch nozzles. Does it double the gph it support?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, if I have two of the 1/2 inch nozzles. Does it double the gph it support?
At the same pump speed and output, probably! I had to crank mine up to match the same gph as an open 1 inch PVC pipe. I used this and my Herbie drain gate valve setting to tune mine.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Are those flow numbers representing the gph the pump is capable of or the output flow actually going through the device at pressure.

Probably the latter, but with 500gph being the higher end of the "optimal" gph and a large swath of reefer's tank sizes falling into turnover rates within those optimal ranges, I'd personally feel comfortable throwing one on my tank.

This discussion on flow requirements for turnover rates is really going to start getting interesting, after seeing what WWC uses and sitting with Ryan to discuss the future episodes of that new BRS/WWC System series. ;)

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say to the device. Numbers seem a little low. I have two 3/4" on my tank. One is from a Sicce ADV 7.0 with minimal turns in return and is about perfect. The other from a Reef Octo4 but some turns and through a chiller...it doesn't have enough flow to RFG.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Are those flow numbers representing the gph the pump is capable of or the output flow actually going through the device at pressure.

That's just the optimal numbers, which is a low estimate from VCA.

I have asked VCA about this, the more flow, the more randomized the flow is -- Meaning more flow = more better. And they can all handle more flow than the advertised minimum.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit****: within minutes of my post below, their customer support contacted me to resolve the issue. And I will be buying from VCA again soon!

Original post: I got two of these in a 1/2” coming off a 3/4” Y from a sicce 5.0. I bought it off their website. Pretty flimsy at the neck of it, and one of mine broke the first day as I was putting it on loc line. It still stays put on the loc line but half the water flows out the side instead of through it. That really sucks cause I want to love this thing! The non broken one is fantastic! It’s just too thin for loc line. Hopefully I just got a bad batch but anyone else have this problem? I would love to get more for my other tanks but I can’t risk that much money when it comes to poor quality.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have one of these right now and actually like it.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With having to keep them deeper in the water how does everyone keep from flooding there sump when return pump is off?
It’s just enough to not make a vortex. And mine could definitely be higher. But my diy 29g sump has 4.5 inches of potential space, along with check valve...the back flow to a sump is not even a thought.

* plus my broken flimsy one breaks the siphon lol

image.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can answer that for you - basically it will depend on the amount of flow you push through the RFG. This is the reason for our "Optimum Suggested" flow rates. At the Optimum flow level you get what we feel is the best balance between strong randomized flow and generated head pressure. GO beyon the optimal flow rating and you will be rewarded with even more pronounce randomized effect but at the cost of more head pressure.

With that said, our test show that head loss will be between 5% and 20%. 5 at the lower end and 20% as you go past the optimal suggested flow.

Here's a video one of our users requested of our RFGS100LL (1in RFG with the threaded fitting) that shows the flow at 800 GPH and the amount of head loss generated by the 1in RFG nozzle at the rate of flow.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS

Probably the latter, but with 500gph being the higher end of the "optimal" gph and a large swath of reefer's tank sizes falling into turnover rates within those optimal ranges, I'd personally feel comfortable throwing one on my tank.

This discussion on flow requirements for turnover rates is really going to start getting interesting, after seeing what WWC uses and sitting with Ryan to discuss the future episodes of that new BRS/WWC System series. ;)

@randyBRS is correct - the GPH flow numbers we provide are to the nozzle. So after any head loss from you plumbing. Stop by the booth this weekend at @Reef A Palooza California , and we'll be happy to demo any of our nozzles at a specific GPH you might want to see.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With having to keep them deeper in the water how does everyone keep from flooding there sump when return pump is off?
One trick you do to allow you to get them closer to the surface, is to run them more parallel to the surface, as opposed to pointed downward. This will help to minimize the exposure of the small educators in the back of the nozzle to the surface of the water and can help to minim the nozzle drawing in air. it will also help to allow you to push them closer to the surface.

The siphon break will happen right about the middle of the nozzle near the educators - so take that into account when doing your calculations.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Create a siphon break

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You mean something like drilling a small hole?
If so could it be on the bottom of the loc line Y fitting?
Is there any particular size hole to drill or trial and error?
No certain size although not too small. Key is to get air to disrupt the flow to sump. Hole has to be in the water.

Back