What did you do to your tank today?

kmwcane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing amino acids?

Yep - I use Brightwell Aquatics Coral Amino supplement for my corals. I normally dose 3 to 4 times per week and have been doing so for over a month now. My corals ***appear*** more colorful and some of my corals ***appear*** to be growing faster; I emphasize appear because I cannot 100% confirm that the coral amino dosing is actually working. However, I have not changed anything in my tank except for dosing amino acids and it looks like some of my corals have reacted in a positive manner.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scraped the glass, added some amino acids and calcium, fed some of the lps while the lights where off and broadcast steroids and changed the filter floss....old blue pic of my 13.5

618519599.jpg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuumed sand bed (partial), 25% WC after a unusual high nitrate test, only to figure out I messed up my test. Reran nitrate test, all was fine. Added a small bag of purigen.
Still getting used to my new Red Sea test kit.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuumed sand bed (partial), 25% WC after a unusual high nitrate test, only to figure out I messed up my test. Reran nitrate test, all was fine. Added a small bag of purigen.
Still getting used to my new Red Sea test kit.
I have given up on all color change tests. Simple fact... I suck at the, lol. I have my Trident running thru my Neptune now. I recently bought a Hanna phosphate checker and a Hanna nitrate checker. I also just ordered a Hanna PH tester because I do not know if I have faith in the trident ph probe.

Either way, I am going full on digital!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess mine is more of a “should do” than a “did do”. I run a bio pellet reactor to dose carbon. Effluent from the biopellets should go to the intake of your skimmer. I drilled an angled hole by my 3” intake strainer and fed the 3/4” effluent return line through my intake manifold. I was hoping I hit the part that is the intake for my skimmer, but the hose is in fact in front of my main circulation pump. Some air in the line confirmed my miss. You can see the clear vinyl hose going into my intake manifold in my sump, right behind the blue inlet screen. The hose goes in about 3 feet into manifold to where the circulation pump intake is, on the right side, the bigger pump. Unfortunately, the curvature of the vinyl hose would not allow it to go past that.
06AD3AED-7F83-4644-B4F1-E692DC197E60.jpeg

So, never being satisfied with “good enough”, I decided to redo the intake manifold after my 3” ball valve. And for the fun of it, I figured I would do it with 3” clear PVC, about a 1 foot section. Maybe I’ll see something interesting.
F32F0EE2-D2C7-45EB-8CE1-CE0AF2483FF1.jpeg

You can see the new ball valve all the way on the left of this manifold; the one kind of sticking up. That will be the new intake for my bio pellet reactor effluent. And since my skimmer runs at 1200 GPH, I’m sure at least 95% of the effluent will make it into the skimmer intake before it would go to the circulation pump intake. That makes me much happier than my current setup.

Now if I could only find the motivation to glue it all together and finish setting it up....

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given up on all color change tests. Simple fact... I suck at the, lol. I have my Trident running thru my Neptune now. I recently bought a Hanna phosphate checker and a Hanna nitrate checker. I also just ordered a Hanna PH tester because I do not know if I have faith in the trident ph probe.

Either way, I am going full on digital!
I hear ya on the color tests. I tried to test nitrate today with the Nyos kit and it always seems clear to me. I doubt my nitrate is zero though. Can’t wait for the Hanna nitrate checker so I can get a digital result instead of comparing colors!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess mine is more of a “should do” than a “did do”. I run a bio pellet reactor to dose carbon. Effluent from the biopellets should go to the intake of your skimmer. I drilled an angled hole by my 3” intake strainer and fed the 3/4” effluent return line through my intake manifold. I was hoping I hit the part that is the intake for my skimmer, but the hose is in fact in front of my main circulation pump. Some air in the line confirmed my miss. You can see the clear vinyl hose going into my intake manifold in my sump, right behind the blue inlet screen. The hose goes in about 3 feet into manifold to where the circulation pump intake is, on the right side, the bigger pump. Unfortunately, the curvature of the vinyl hose would not allow it to go past that.
06AD3AED-7F83-4644-B4F1-E692DC197E60.jpeg

So, never being satisfied with “good enough”, I decided to redo the intake manifold after my 3” ball valve. And for the fun of it, I figured I would do it with 3” clear PVC, about a 1 foot section. Maybe I’ll see something interesting.
F32F0EE2-D2C7-45EB-8CE1-CE0AF2483FF1.jpeg

You can see the new ball valve all the way on the left of this manifold; the one kind of sticking up. That will be the new intake for my bio pellet reactor effluent. And since my skimmer runs at 1200 GPH, I’m sure at least 95% of the effluent will make it into the skimmer intake before it would go to the circulation pump intake. That makes me much happier than my current setup.

Now if I could only find the motivation to glue it all together and finish setting it up....
you have been busy!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on the color tests. I tried to test nitrate today with the Nyos kit and it always seems clear to me. I doubt my nitrate is zero though. Can’t wait for the Hanna nitrate checker so I can get a digital result instead of comparing colors!
BRS has some right now. Mine should be here Monday : )

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back