What do these look like ?

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where to put this so it's a lounge thing. :bigsmile: I just seperated these from a zoanthid colony today. They have been growing on there forever and I felt it was time to dremel. :xd: The first one seems like a monitpora. The second one is black and might be a sponge of some sort. The third I am kind of stumped on, it does have small feeder tentacles but I have never tried to feed it. Mabye now I can try.

Montipora ?
SDC14058.jpg
Black Sponge ?

SDC14060.jpg

Any idea ?

SDC14063.jpg

Last edited:

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first is ether a Monti or a... aw crap, the name is escaping me... The SPS that Xmas tree worms are found in? Porites?

Second is a sponge, and third I am not sure but looks like a LPS of some sort?

OP
OP
MoneyPit

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Yea I was so excited when I first saw these. They were so small and were hitchikers. :tongue:

OP
OP
MoneyPit

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porites seems right (after some research) :nerd: I have a Christmas coral and the Porites "died" some time ago. Just recently two small spots reappeared on it. I just went and compared the two. They are different in color but they look to have the same type of polyps. I think that is just a lighting difference. Sweet an ID. The second one is cool too. How many people have a black sponge in their tank lol ? As for the third, I have to agree that it is an LPS with the feeder tentacles and all. But what kind. hmmm....... Only time will tell.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of that sponge in my tank as well, if I'm not mistaken it likes the dark areas a little better. As for the LPS can you get some clearer pic's of it?

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one is porites for sure, the last one looks like it might be a fav of some sort the porites be careful of because it's the echinata of the sps world but they can look very pretty high light moderate low flow will make it super fuzzy ! Gotta love hitch hikerz

OP
OP
MoneyPit

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried but they look the same. Need a better camera. :squigglemouth: It's kind of mad from being fragged today.

SDC14069.jpg

SDC14068.jpg

SDC14066.jpg

Last edited:

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people have a black sponge in their tank lol ?

My main tonga branch that is the middle shelf of my reef has a huge black sponge on the underside of it. I did not know it till I moved the tank. It looks like the whole back of the rock is covered in black tar. Have never seen it come to the surface. I assume it does not like light. I am the only one who has seen it because you have to take the rock and turn it over. Well that would knock everything over in the tank. Not gonna do it. But I know it is there and it is cool....lol

OP
OP
MoneyPit

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I found mine, on the underside. Now that I have cut it off, what do I do with it if it likes the dark side. :tongue: Hmmm.... Sump..... no no

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the sponge anywhere with variable low current it will do just fine it just needs low flow to absorb bacteria and small particles

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.1%
Back