What do YOU feed your new Biota fish ?

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered an Orange Storm clownfish and a Rainford's goby from Biota, and they will be here later next week. My question is, what all kinds of foods have you all fed newly acquired fish ? I have heard that these are hardy fish, but they come in quite small. The website suggests using DKI pellets, mastick, C1, C2, frozen mysis, or frozen calanus.
Anything else any of you have used successfully ? I already have frozen mysis, but would like to provide a wide variety of foods... And I plan of making up a blend of mussels, clams & worms as soon as I can get somewhere other than my tiny town grocery store.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO Chromoboost is what they feed. Get them eating in your tank with what they feed, then try different things.

You have a good list of variety there, just try them all. My fish like PE calanus. They slurp it up like candy.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish Mysis and Brine. Recently (As in today) aquired two Trimma tevegae and my aim is to get them feeding on pods from the rock as well as mysis and brine. I did this with my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse back in September when she was under 0.5 inch, now I have a 1 inch beautiful juvenile blue star that is always fat. I also did this technique with my griessingers goby who doesn’t eat mysis or brine in the day but any left overs and he will scavenge for it but for the most part he eats pods on the lower rock and in the sand. Same move with my WC hectori, all of them except the two trimmas I have seen eating frozen (The two trimmas are understandable it’s not even been a day in their new home).
Here’s an idea on my tank’s sand bed and microfauna.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the info and input !

I actually picked up the orange storm clown, because I recently got a 29g tall set up given to me. The previous owner just didn't have time for it anymore, and the only inhabitant is a single mocha(ish) clown. So I figured I would give it some company.

The Rainford's goby that I bought will eventually be part of my 40breeder setup that I am working on, but will go in my 10g until that is ready.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the most luck with frozen baby brine and cyclops but the pellets also work well. Masstick was a complete waste of money, nothing eats it. (my gobies also love pecking at Algea wafers but that's uncovential food in the marine side)
You may want a acclimation box as they'll be tiny and the clowns may not get on at first.
41025F36-942C-405D-B50A-20A3D5440F74.jpeg
*that's a small acclimation box for reference the goby was maybe 1/2 an inch

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the most luck with frozen baby brine and cyclops but the pellets also work well. Masstick was a complete waste of money, nothing eats it. (my gobies also love pecking at Algea wafers but that's uncovential food in the marine side)
You may want a acclimation box as they'll be tiny and the clowns may not get on at first.
41025F36-942C-405D-B50A-20A3D5440F74.jpeg
*that's a small acclimation box for reference the goby was maybe 1/2 an inch
Thank you for this ! It is the kind of information I am looking for. The things that work, the things that don't, etc.
For you and 'i can't think', I appreciate the picture and the size comparison as well ! I am a visual person. And even though I can read and understand descriptions all day long, seeing a picture gives so much more information !

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just in case anyone wanted to see them, here they are !!

Attachments

• PXL_20220526_180017963.jpg
    PXL_20220526_180017963.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20220526_172147014.jpg
    PXL_20220526_172147014.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 27

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish Mysis and Brine. Recently (As in today) aquired two Trimma tevegae and my aim is to get them feeding on pods from the rock as well as mysis and brine. I did this with my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse back in September when she was under 0.5 inch, now I have a 1 inch beautiful juvenile blue star that is always fat. I also did this technique with my griessingers goby who doesn’t eat mysis or brine in the day but any left overs and he will scavenge for it but for the most part he eats pods on the lower rock and in the sand. Same move with my WC hectori, all of them except the two trimmas I have seen eating frozen (The two trimmas are understandable it’s not even been a day in their new home).
Here’s an idea on my tank’s sand bed and microfauna.
image.jpg
Well, that was rather easy - Noting down their behaviour made it so easy to get both T. tevegae eating.
I feed later at “night” so everyone is out at the same time which makes it so easy to see who eats and who doesn’t.
6B6E5AB2-15B9-4078-B286-337F656BF915.jpeg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that was rather easy - Noting down their behaviour made it so easy to get both T. tevegae eating.
I feed later at “night” so everyone is out at the same time which makes it so easy to see who eats and who doesn’t.
6B6E5AB2-15B9-4078-B286-337F656BF915.jpeg
image.jpg
Wow ! You take much better notes and documentation than I do ! And so organized !
Lol, I haven't taken notes in a while...

On a side note, both of the Biota fish I got in, are already eating ! The goby was sifting sand within an hour of being in the tank too.

Back