What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing. I haven’t seen him on this subject in a while. He has a lot invested in this and I really don’t want to see him on the losing end of this. However it’s not looking good.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was Jake parading around in one of his videos last month? It didn't look like the old v1 cerebra.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was the new version, there were a few of us that received units for real world testing. He had no input though on the testing side, at least he never posted his results as we were supposed to be doing.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been almost no industry excitement for this thing, hell we can't even post about how awesome it is because it does mostly nothing without functioning software. With nobody out there chomping at the bit for it to come out, and even if it does, the complete lack of support even for their existing products doesn't paint a good picture for something as complicated as a controller, so far it would appear there is zero infrastructure to keep this thing a float once it was released. I think they would have drowned and not been able to keep up with consumer demand on the troubleshooting side.
Yeah, even the most ardent supporters admit that the V1 release was poorly handled, putting it nicely. With the missed deadlines and poor communication since then it will be (would have been?) very difficult for it to be a success. The would have really had to hit it out of the park when they released it. Their absence at the reefing conventions didn't bode well, either.

It was the new version, there were a few of us that received units for real world testing. He had no input though on the testing side, at least he never posted his results as we were supposed to be doing.
So you actually received a beta unit of the new version? I'd heard rumors that they had shipped some but hadn't seen confirmation from anyone who'd actually received one.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was Jake parading around in one of his videos last month? It didn't look like the old v1 cerebra.

I don't really have anything to add but I know one other person that was beta testing the new version. I say was, not sure if currently.

I am also one with a V1 collecting dust.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, even the most ardent supporters admit that the V1 release was poorly handled, putting it nicely. With the missed deadlines and poor communication since then it will be (would have been?) very difficult for it to be a success. The would have really had to hit it out of the park when they released it. Their absence at the reefing conventions didn't bode well, either.

So you actually received a beta unit of the new version? I'd heard rumors that they had shipped some but hadn't seen confirmation from anyone who'd actually received one.

Yes there were several of us that had the VII to test. There were a couple big names that had them but never posted anything about doing the testing as we were instructed. We were all testing and reporting outside of any of the forums.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't really have anything to add but I know one other person that was beta testing the new version. I say was, not sure if currently.

I am also one with a V1 collecting dust.
It would appear that we were testing, as of yesterday, it does not appear that there would be anything moving forward within the realm we were receiving instructions and reporting on what we had tested. It all vanished yesterday without any notice from those in control.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would appear that we were testing, as of yesterday, it does not appear that there would be anything moving forward within the realm we were receiving instructions and reporting on what we had tested. It all vanished yesterday without any notice from those in control.

Eeesh RIP

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Many of us fell victim to a very old saying :

1578501121015.png
. . . . . . .
1578501144613.png

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just can't figure out why bail now, they were very very very close. A huge number of actual completed units sitting waiting for software, and the software seemed really close.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't figure out why bail now, they were very very very close. A huge number of actual completed units sitting waiting for software, and the software seemed really close.

It’s because Jason and Vertex are completely broke. And nobody in their right mind would lend them money now after learning the current state of affairs. It sounds like they had a unit that needed lots of work to get ready for prime time....

It’s sad, but I am afraid the Vertex is likely done.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s because Jason and Vertex are completely broke. And nobody in their right mind would lend them money now after learning the current state of affairs. It sounds like they had a unit that needed lots of work to get ready for prime time....

It’s sad, but I am afraid the Vertex is likely done.

Yea it seems that way. The unit itself doesn't appear to need work, it was just software tweaking and finalizing on that end. It just seemed a long road to drop it near the finish line.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it seems that way. The unit itself doesn't appear to need work, it was just software tweaking and finalizing on that end. It just seemed a long road to drop it near the finish line.

Right, but who really knows? The story about the V1 was that the hardware was ready and software needed to be fixed. After a year or so, they realized this was not the case. Because of the uncertainty and the history of the project, unfortunately, I don’t think anyone will bail them out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They even went as far as posting pics of hundreds of units on shelves awaiting software OR " were they Cerebras in the pics " ?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Most won’t like my answer, but if you want to know and understand it, then do everything manually. It takes 20 min a day. Plus I never have to worry about any electric malfunction. I find it much easier if I have equipment fail. Not to mention it’s a simpler and cheaper way.
If I was to get a controller than it would be the ghl version.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Most won’t like my answer, but if you want to know and understand it, then do everything manually. It takes 20 min a day. Plus I never have to worry about any electric malfunction. I find it much easier if I have equipment fail. Not to mention it’s a simpler and cheaper way.
If I was to get a controller than it would be the ghl version.

Never have to worry about electric malfunction?

You don’t own pumps?
A heater?
Lighting?

I’m confused. All this components can, and will, fail.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back