0   0   0
Oh wait, and I have a crush on filefish....so unique like helicopters

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for a tailspot blenny. There is a great thread here on R2R for getting friendly wrasses. Pintails are the most mild available

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin fish are beatiful! But make sure you have a thriving colony of pods in your tank before adding, not the easiest fish!

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also hopefully you saved that old 29 Gallon tank as a QT for the new arrivals!
I didn’t!! The reason why I got rid of the tank it’s because it got overrun by aiptasia and common worms! I tried everything and the aiptasia kept coming back and worse. I couldn’t handle it anymore, so now all I got its base rocks, no live rocks at all. I don’t want any pest in my tank ever again.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin fish are beatiful! But make sure you have a thriving colony of pods in your tank before adding, not the easiest fish!
I know! Mandarin are one of my favorite fish, but for now its impossible since my tank doesn’t have enough pods for it to survive! The clownfish eats them all day lol

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish , gobies, blennies .If no coral in the future definitely a flame angel would be in my list. Wrasses are great too but pushing it with your size tank unless maybe a six line

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for a tailspot blenny. There is a great thread here on R2R for getting friendly wrasses. Pintails are the most mild available
Omg that tailspot blenny, I cant take how cute it is!

Dr. Bull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t!! The reason why I got rid of the tank it’s because it got overrun by aiptasia and common worms! I tried everything and the aiptasia kept coming back and worse. I couldn’t handle it anymore, so now all I got its base rocks, no live rocks at all. I don’t want any pest in my tank ever again.

That is discouraging, however you could have kept the tank, emptied it completely, cleaned it, dried it out to kill off everything, then set it up bare bottom with some sterilize plastic decor and water from your main display temporarily when you plan on getting new additions for the main tank. A QT does not need to be ran all the time, but you have to make sure it is properly cycled prior to adding new arrivals. Then clean and dry it between each use.

A properly setup and utilized QT helps to keep the pests out of your main tank.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is discouraging, however you could have kept the tank, emptied it completely, cleaned it, dried it out to kill off everything, then set it up bare bottom with some sterilize plastic decor and water from your main display temporarily when you plan on getting new additions for the main tank. A QT does not need to be ran all the time, but you have to make sure it is properly cycled prior to adding new arrivals. Then clean and dry it between each use.

A properly setup and utilized QT helps to keep the pests out of your main tank.
I have a 5 gallon tank? That should work right? Or is it too small? Honestly I have never QT my fish.. I know super irresponsible. But I guess I should start doing that!

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you you like your watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair? I really want one lol

I love it!! I have them for months already and they just love each other lol.

93E36259-688E-4C51-9783-8773DE50C99E.jpeg

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta get a pair soon. I love symbiotic reef relationships. I need to see clownfish hosting a nem in my tank too

Dr. Bull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon tank? That should work right? Or is it too small? Honestly I have never QT my fish.. I know super irresponsible. But I guess I should start doing that!

That will work if used properly, the size limits you to how many fish or inverts you can QT each time. Do some research on these forums for QT setups. A simple seeded sponge filter and air pump should work fine for that tank. You could even run the sponge filter in your main tank's sump/filter for a few weeks to seed it with bacteria each time prior to setting up the QT. These lil guys are cheap enough to toss away after each use. You obviously don't want to put the sponge back in the display sump/filter after use since that would defeat the purpose of the QT.

AQUANEAT 3 PCS Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Breeding Fry Betta Shrimp Nano Fish Tank 10 Gal

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work if used properly, the size limits you to how many fish or inverts you can QT each time. Do some research on these forums for QT setups. A simple seeded sponge filter and air pump should work fine for that tank. You could even run the sponge filter in your main tank's sump/filter for a few weeks to seed it with bacteria each time prior to setting up the QT. These lil guys are cheap enough to toss away after each use. You obviously don't want to put the sponge back in the display sump/filter after use since that would defeat the purpose of the QT.

AQUANEAT 3 PCS Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Breeding Fry Betta Shrimp Nano Fish Tank 10 Gal

Sounds good to me. I might just get an extra tank and have both of them just in case! thank you!!!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I used to have a 29g tank and I decided to upgrade to something a little bigger, so I got a 55g. Now that I have a little more space, I would like to add some extra fishies ☺. At the moment I have the following: A saddleback clownfish, an ocellaris, a yellow watchman goby paired with a tiger shrimp and 4 turbo snails. What other fish do you guys recommend I could add to my tank? The guys at my LFS told me a couple of different ones, but for what I read in liveaquaria most of them required a 70 gallon tank. I don’t see many fish that can live in a 55g . Help me lol.
An orchid dottyback gives a new color and different swimming space; I don't think you'll have any aggression issues either.

Dr. Bull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me. I might just get an extra tank and have both of them just in case! thank you!!!

Grab a simple 10 gallon tank, they are dirt cheap and very useful for this. Any larger and they become more difficult to carry over to a sink or hose and just rinse out after each use.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back