View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My current stock on my 75g reef is

2 clowns
bristletooth tang
lawnmower blenny

I cant keep nitrates up so best way to do that is more fish! I really like the idea of a flame angel but the fact it might nip at my corals scares me a bit. I plan on getting a pink streak wrasse at some point too. What works well in an SPS dominated mixed tank? Also its bare bottom

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple fire fish

Attachments

• 20211125_144003.jpg
    20211125_144003.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Royal Gramma
2 or 3 Blue/green Chromis
Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, or Scopas Tang.

think a gem tang would work? My wifloves those so much but didnt know how it would get along with my bristletooth

Flame Angel would be a cool addition.

im worries about nipping at polyps

Purple fire fish

Very pretty fish but worried about carpet surfing as im rimless

cool fish just dont know if its what i want. I like the magnificent ones

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think a gem tang would work? My wifloves those so much but didnt know how it would get along with my bristletooth

im worries about nipping at polyps

Very pretty fish but worried about carpet surfing as im rimless

cool fish just dont know if its what i want. I like the magnificent ones
Very astute observations on the suggested fish.

A Gem Tang would be fine. I didn't include that because they are quite pricy. If you are willing to drop a few Ben Franklins, I'd say go for it.

Since your original post indicates you wish to add several fish to increase nitrates, I would also include an Aiptasia eating Filefish, the above mentioned blue/green chromis, and possibly a damsel of some kind. A foxface rabbit would be nice as they are herbivorous and will help keep algae in check.

I would attack this problem with the mindset of adding several smaller community type fish. rather than a couple larger ones. First off, it is more fun to watch the small ones grow, and second, there is nothing better than a tank that is full of life and movement.

If you are afraid that your tank is too small, my own experience, I had 16 fish in my 55g. including 3 tangs, 2 chromis, 6 damsels and a couple others.

OHH a Magenta Dottyback, is a beauty to add if you get a small one.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very astute observations on the suggested fish.

A Gem Tang would be fine. I didn't include that because they are quite pricy. If you are willing to drop a few Ben Franklins, I'd say go for it.

Since your original post indicates you wish to add several fish to increase nitrates, I would also include an Aiptasia eating Filefish, the above mentioned blue/green chromis, and possibly a damsel of some kind. A foxface rabbit would be nice as they are herbivorous and will help keep algae in check.

I would attack this problem with the mindset of adding several smaller community type fish. rather than a couple larger ones. First off, it is more fun to watch the small ones grow, and second, there is nothing better than a tank that is full of life and movement.

If you are afraid that your tank is too small, my own experience, I had 16 fish in my 55g. including 3 tangs, 2 chromis, 6 damsels and a couple others.

OHH a Magenta Dottyback, is a beauty to add if you get a small one.

Yea I’ll definately have to wait for a sale on a gem tang! With all fish i would want a smaller one!

I do like the idea of smaller fish but dont chromis have lots of weird die offs and damsels become real jerks? Way back in the day I had a lot of mean damsels haha.

Do filefish do ok in high current? My 2 mp40’s sure make it breezy in there.

I just worry if i get a gem tang the. My white tail will pick on it or vice versa

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these posts, so many fish so many options. Gotta get at least one wrasse from the halichoeres family. Melanarus wrasse is one of the most common, but there are other options. A fairy wrasee like the Naoko wrasse adds a lot of color and movement to a tank. Watchman Goby! Grumpy looking little buggers, but affordable and a great addition. Hawkish have a ton personality too.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’ll definately have to wait for a sale on a gem tang! With all fish i would want a smaller one!

I do like the idea of smaller fish but dont chromis have lots of weird die offs and damsels become real jerks? Way back in the day I had a lot of mean damsels haha.

Do filefish do ok in high current? My 2 mp40’s sure make it breezy in there.

I just worry if i get a gem tang the. My white tail will pick on it or vice versa

Damsels can become jerks depending on which ones you get and what you define as "jerk". I have a Talbot's Damsel and a lemon damsel plus 2 Black Capped Damsels in my tank. These were all in my 55g before the upgrade last month and were all civil. The black caps, like to dig. they will undercut your rock work as they try to dig out a hidey hole. The Talbot's and Lemon have been models.

Filefish, like to find quiet places to sit and nab at whatever passes by. They will venture out to feed, but because they are so small, they prefer to hide most of the time.

Chromis can die off, I lost 2 of the original 4 in the first month. 17 months later, the other 2 are fine.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day ( years ago ) I had tangs in my 75 gal .
That’s the time when a yellow tang was $29.99
Understand, that the Tang recommendations were for ONE of the, not all of them. My feeling is that an extra herbivore would help the system overall.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock on my 75g reef is

2 clowns
bristletooth tang
lawnmower blenny

I cant keep nitrates up so best way to do that is more fish! I really like the idea of a flame angel but the fact it might nip at my corals scares me a bit. I plan on getting a pink streak wrasse at some point too. What works well in an SPS dominated mixed tank? Also its bare bottom
In a 4’ tank… Gem tangs are a no go long term. These get to 10 inch long if given time. They also get aggressive. Stay with the tang you have now, don’t add any others (ESPECIALLY gems and hippos. They get too big and active).
It seems with some of these recommendations, people aren’t thinking of the long term issues that will occur. For example aggression, stress causing ich to emerge ect…

I find nobody can recommend what fish you should get as everyone’s preferences will be different, it’s likely you’ll see a fish you love that someone else would pass on. I recommend looking into Labridae. These are often useful and many don’t outgrow the tank you have.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangpolice.jpg

Oh geezzzz.. here they come..
If you mean what I previously posted then it’s pretty much stating the obvious.
If the OP has a plan for when the fish outgrows the tank then sure a tang will work but if they want to keep them forever then problems will arise in the future.
Tangs also grow fast if given the proper care (Being in too small of a tank has the potential to stunt a fish’s growth).

I’m not totally opposed to tangs in small tanks, it’s possible but there are issues that come with it and the OP seems rather new to the hobby.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any interest in a marine betta? I never had one but I think they’re gorgeous, the site I was on said reef safe

24315808-F6AA-4FC8-98C0-86523C8FCE3F.jpeg
These can take on small inverts such as sexy shrimp. As for small fish they can be a risk but most mainly prey on inverts.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Candy Hogfish are active with awesome colors, and are always swimming! Definitely would recommend one. Also, orchid dottybacks look great and would contrast the hogfish nicely

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back