Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright here's one for ya. I won $1000.00 from wwc. I gave them a list of frags I wanted, guess how many I got? How many frags would that have gotten one in 2014?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually sell frags for at least 50% of what I paid for the coral. So if I buy a frag for $100 you’ll get a piece for $50
This seems 'ok' - unless you're one of the people that buys a fist sized piece of coral - and sells tips for 50$ - Note - actually I'm ok with you selling for whatever you want - Not slamming you at all - im just pointing out that depending on the size you're selling - others may object to this 'methodology'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are clueless if you think all markets are "free markets" and that purely supply and demand dictates prices.
Sorry to say.
I'm curious (By the way calling someone clueless seems a bit strong)- but - besides regulated industries or examples of price fixing - can you give an example of where supply and demand does NOT dictate prices?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought there was something wrong with the forum, it's been at least 5 days since we had a "prices are too darn high" thread :) I agree this hobby does not have the lowest cost of entry or participation. I wonder if aviation or equestrian forums have similar threads with such frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh joy .... another ‘vendors charge too much’ thread. I have neither the energy nor the desire to read all four pages. Has anyone made any points that haven’t been thrashed through in the last 10 threads on the subject. Supply is constrained .... demand goes up = higher prices. Plenty of places to get inexpensive frags .... unless you wish to be a victim of silly marketing.

Reefing is not an inexpensive hobby, never has been. Doesn’t have to be the exclusive domain of rich men (and women!) though.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh joy .... another ‘vendors charge too much’ thread. I have neither the energy nor the desire to read all four pages. Has anyone made any points that haven’t been thrashed through in the last 10 threads on the subject. Supply is constrained .... demand goes up = higher prices. Plenty of places to get inexpensive frags .... unless you wish to be a victim of silly marketing.

Reefing is not an inexpensive hobby, never has been. Doesn’t have to be the exclusive domain of rich men (and women!) though.

EXACTLY!

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright here's one for ya. I won $1000.00 from wwc. I gave them a list of frags I wanted, guess how many I got? How many frags would that have gotten one in 2014?

Dude, I can go to the WWC website right now and get a bunch of frags for 1k.... It's not cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought there was something wrong with the forum, it's been at least 5 days since we had a "prices are too darn high" thread :) I agree this hobby does not have the lowest cost of entry or participation. I wonder if aviation or equestrian forums have similar threads with such frequency.

LOL. My other hobby is high end (yes, not a term exclusive to reefing) audio ..... my tube amplifier recently blew a $20 capacitor .... by the time I had paid to ship the 80 pound monstrosity (it’s just a mono amp, too) to and from the manufacturer in CA I was out close to a grand. Sadly, electronics are a big mystery to me.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got 9 and they weren't anything highend.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby on and off since 2000 and besides the price gouging I feel the hobby is at a pretty awesome place right now. My old tank (2001) was ugly as heck compared to my current one. The technology is almost mind blowing as far as what we can do ( and pay for) today. I can crack out on things withinn R2R and some inappropriate reefer or the other boat loads of videos on YouTube. Back In the day I just had to roll with things good or bad and it was almost impossible to find good help. I do miss the Florida live rock though, that stuff had the craziest things living in it. Stoked to see where we are going in the hobby and love to be able to show my kids life that they will probably never see in real life. As crappy as we are to the oceans I almost feel like a conservationist with my reef and like sharing it with others.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is funny is that someone with skill and a low budget can create a beautiful tank full of critters that blows away high end systems with high priced fish and coral.

You know the people. Used display, sump is a 40 breeder, used or wisely purchased gear, and that magical touch to turn brown acro frags into colorful colonies under 14k light without the need for 20+k to make them "pop".

Now that is impressive.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious (By the way calling someone clueless seems a bit strong)- but - besides regulated industries or examples of price fixing - can you give an example of where supply and demand does NOT dictate prices?

Monopolies, industry collusion, price gouging, government subsidy.
However both of your examples are excellent, regulated industries and price fixing(however you define it).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone really think price fixing is driving coral frag prices .... I enjoy chuckling at a good old conspiracy theory as much as the next curmudgeon .... but I do not.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone really think price fixing is driving coral frag prices .... I enjoy chuckling at a good old conspiracy theory as much as the next curmudgeon .... but I do not.
It's not too far fetched, although I wouldn't say that it is manipulation through industry collusion, but more in line with creating a narrative that is parroted enough that eventually will be construed as truth.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s marketing not price fixing ..... I’ve spent a lot of time trying to teach my sons critical thinking so as to not be victims LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 147 60.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.2%
Back