What happened to the hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the hobby since 2015, and now I'm ready to come back again.

But searching in the livestock classified I found mushrooms, torches, hammer and other corals selling from $100-800, that's way to much for those kind of corals, when I left the hobby you get those from free to $35 for something really rare.

What happened in those years that chea corals are so expensive now?

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't around at that time but im guessing over the years a lot of people been getting into keeping reef tanks which means there's a lot more demand on corals and fish. Also with climate change and our oceans reef being wiped out it's harder to get corals?

I would suggest find some local or non-local friends to trade corals with.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the hobby since 2015, and now I'm ready to come back again.

But searching in the livestock classified I found mushrooms, torches, hammer and other corals selling from $100-800, that's way to much for those kind of corals, when I left the hobby you get those from free to $35 for something really rare.

What happened in those years that chea corals are so expensive now?

Hello,

Honestly, it’s this way because people love money more than the hobby. I’m certain I’m going to get the glare lol or black lash but oh well, it’s no worse when I tell people they are getting another pick line.

Anthony Scholfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Honestly, it’s this way because people love money more than the hobby. I’m certain I’m going to get the glare lol or black lash but oh well, it’s no worse when I tell people they are getting another pick line.

So true! Thankfully I have found a handful of people here who are not like that and that is who I buy from. I hope to follow them in loving the hobby and sharing the beauties the ocean has as my reef grows.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true! Thankfully I have found a handful of people here who are not like that and that is who I buy from. I hope to follow them in loving the hobby and sharing the beauties the ocean has as my reef grows.

Hello,

I live in Boise and I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I literally saw a rock maybe 4 inch around full of pulsating Xenia (was pretty), they wanted 300 for it.
I always threw it away or gave it away. Loved it at first but such a weed. But 300 are you kidding me, why? Will they feed and babysit all my other corals one pulse at a time.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still find fish I am interested in reasonably priced so lots of fish and a few corals. I also have seven gorgonians.

Really? The fish I’m interested in have gone through the roof in price over the last 2 years. On all but the most common fish I feel prices have increased significantly across the board. It would be really helpful to have some historical databases of prices and species.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few (2) online coral shops that started up have closed down recently so I think there is market saturation now. At this point, it has to do with the wealth gap and rich people are in the hobby that are willing to pay high prices for corals etc. A lot of disposable income. Eventually the prices will come back down, once all the rich hobbyists have filled their tanks or left the hobby.

Or, if that doesn't happen first, then a recession could hit which would also force hobbyists out and then lower prices. I just look at the prices right now as a temporary spike until, like I said, either market saturation (rich hobbyists' tanks are full) or an economic recession.

That may sound classist but idc and it's honestly what I think without evidence to the contrary.

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store and online prices are pretty bad. So far I really only consider paying the 40$ plus shipping for the c137 zoas and would get a few more to justify the shipping but otherwise I’m going local. First saltwater
Tank, no way I’m dropping 800$ for a torch, or the local 90$ for a hammer.
I picked up my first purple hammer, and gsp frag for 5$ each, and will be getting come candy canes and more hammer for the same price from another guy.
I can’t justify 40$ for Xenia not 700 for anything else.

OP
OP
symon_say

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know about the indo ban, but that shouldn't have affect farm grow corals that are already avaliable everywhere.

I think greedy and dump people are responsible for this, paying $800 for a golden torch, you've got to be kidding.

It seems I'll go with local hobbiest, and want I can find in the price ranges I consider fair.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy corals almost exclusively at swap meets. Even the "Big Name" vendors have somewhat more reasonable prices at them, especially when the swap is almost over. It's way better to sell for less than transport back home.

FWIW - when I have frags for sale the most I charge is $15, and that will be a fully encrusted mini colony, not 1/2" of freshly cut and glued coral.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had luck trading with other hobbyist, but that is once I have a stock of coral to actually trade. Aside from the ban a lot of what has happened is, the most beautiful and interesting strains have been largely propagated and spread around, meaning less run of the mill stock at a reasonable price. I really appreciate local fish stores that set up display tanks emphasizing and selling affordable "basic" coral. Too many hobbyist are suffering from collectoritus, forgetting how a beautiful display tank full of grown out colonies can be so inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back