siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, religion is the new politics.

But the fact is we're 90 posts into an offtopic thread in the Equipment forum. That's not the time/place to go even more political. ;)

(As fun as it has been, aren't threads like this supposed to be in the Lounge or someplace else anyway? I watch the equipment forum on purpose – but not for threads like this. :))
@mcarroll Yes sir you are correct and this should be moved. I would like to say thanks for participating and the link and history. lets get this moved

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only have jobs because they are cheaper than running machines. I don’t think these are the jobs we want back in the US.

While that may have been true in the past, it's increasingly not true in the present and future. While many of those tasks may well return to the US, it won't be in the form of jobs for humans rather tasks for robots.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list of consumer markets is 5 year old (2013). Its not the same now. EU is one common market and it is nearly as large as the US market.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks I missed that
@gcarroll what's in the pot your stirring :p

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact that anything Jabo is going up by at least 20% as my suppler has already informed me.. I buy lots of pumps and UVs in fact i just bought a huge supply of products for my inventory . I I cant make 20% on my money in the bank. I will be able to hold my service contracts at the same price as I will have no cost increase for now . However I could add 20% to the bottom line if I use the trade war card...? I am on the fence about it....Make money or help customers?

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I guess only time will tell. I’m rooting for America! I refuse to belie

thats a great talking point... I refuse to believe that. Yes we will have a little discomfort, as well will other countries... I’m very confident that this will not become out of control. Remember, this is America! All other countries that trade with us are doing it for very good reason... we are the #1 consumer (Bye Far) in the world. I see using this fact alone will prove to be the deciding factor in each and every country we deal with’s decision to lower their fees of entry just so their manufacturing doesn’t collapse. Btw the “Useless Tax cuts” you speak of, again another angle to promote the resurgence of American Manufacturing. The point is to become more competitive by not absolutely killing the American company with ( Bye Far) the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Even Obama suggested to lower our tax rate drastically. Just didn’t have the gonads to do it, Nor did he have much support on his side for such a “ridiculous notion” as most lefties would claim. More taxes to fix this or that does Not help. It further puts the burden on hard working Americans backs to throw our money at a problem and make even more government waste by just adding government jobs to handle and spend all of our money in some of the most absurd, Wasteful manners. The sheer amount of taxes that a company is forced to pay in is yet another reason our Business’s flee to greener pastures (other countries). It’s about dang time someone actually stood up for our best interests. We as a Nation have picked up and helped numerous other countries to prosperity. That’s a great thing! Isn’t our Country’s well being important too? We can argue all day about who’s right or wrong about any subject. Only time will tell who is rt in this very topic. Subsidize the industries we like you say? Again. Another leftie solution to not fix anything. Perpetuate the huge problem of government dependencey. No thanks. Those are the same ideas that got us in this position in the first place. A company should be able to thrive on its own, not thru subsidies. There would be no reason to have to do that if we didn’t drive the companies out in the first place by taxing them into submission. So ur answer would basically be we as a nation should accept that we lost all these manufacturing jobs and not change anything. Just throw subsidies at companies some may or may not champion in efforts to keep them afloat, while other companies that are no big deal to your life can just continue to be absolutely battered by enormous amount of taxes. Hmmm. Doesn’t seem so smart. Whereas a large corporate tax cut give all industry a well needed break and let them decide how to better their company w their money the way they find fit. That to me makes a whole lot more sense . Sometimes I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I hear the opposing argument. Sorry, just happens to be
Have you looked at what corporate America is doing with these tax cuts?? There is no reinvestment in expanding US based production or jobs- corporate tax cuts are being used to buy back stock shares at a record rate. The factories and jobs remain overseas because of significantly lower costs in labor, materials, and liability. BMW builds most of their products in South Carolina to avoid tariffs and higher costs in Germany. Their is no significant industrial manufacturing done in the US by US corporations for obvious reasons. And for people who claim to be fiscally “conservative” it’s hypocrisy given how much our national debt has expanded with decreased tax revenue and increased spending. Explain that one to me!!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alcoa sold off its aluminum plants here in the Northwest years ago. There were two big plants near us. One in the Columbia gorge and the other in Spokane. So the plants were most likely bought up by China and shipped over seas. Same thing happened with U.S. Steel in the 1970's. One of my high school classmates father was the project manager for the move from the U.S. to Taiwan. It is not that we cannot revive the industry it is the government regulations and added cost of labor unions that killed the manufacturing business in the U.S. There is no way to unring that bell without major changes in the business climate in the U.S.

By the way the current tariffs will not increase current aquarium products in the short term. Shipping cost might effect price changes before tariffs.

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact that anything Jabo is going up by at least 20% as my suppler has already informed me.. I buy lots of pumps and UVs in fact i just bought a huge supply of products for my inventory . I I cant make 20% on my money in the bank. I will be able to hold my service contracts at the same price as I will have no cost increase for now . However I could add 20% to the bottom line if I use the trade war card...? I am on the fence about it....Make money or help customers?
That really sucks on your end my friend but Jabo been ripping tech. And rightfully so should go up . Most of this trade war is aimed at China because they have zero respect for any other company .Should Apex be next to get ripped and face competition to a product that mirrors theirs but is now called Bpex

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcwhng ,

The only difference in the majority of congress from both parties it the nature of their whine. Neither party has learned to govern from the middle but are both off in their respective ditches taking shots at the other. This is not how government ran when I was a kid. I remember JFK seeking the GOP to pass a little thing called the 1964 Civil Right Act. JFK's own party would not touch Civil Rights due to the make up of the party at that time. Now that was an example of government from the middle of the road not either ditch. Time for the return of statesmen and stateswomen to governance. Not Ultra rights or Ultra lefts. This will only ensure our mutual distruction.

By the way fiscal conservatives do not exist in public office today. If so a balanced budget would be in place and we would not spend more than we brought in via tax and other revenue. You can be a fiscal conservative and belong to either party.

We have let minor issues from the fringe of society determine public policy for to long and we have reaped the benefits of that wrong headed governance. Time to seek for the best good of the majority of people without ignoring important issues of personal freedom and freedom of choice. There is a balance but we have lost our balance.

Now back to picking on China lol.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at what corporate America is doing with these tax cuts?? There is no reinvestment in expanding US based production or jobs- corporate tax cuts are being used to buy back stock shares at a record rate. The factories and jobs remain overseas because of significantly lower costs in labor, materials, and liability. BMW builds most of their products in South Carolina to avoid tariffs and higher costs in Germany. Their is no significant industrial manufacturing done in the US by US corporations for obvious reasons. And for people who claim to be fiscally “conservative” it’s hypocrisy given how much our national debt has expanded with decreased tax revenue and increased spending. Explain that one to me!!

Sorry. I’m done w this thread. My reply to u would be..... I own a small s Corp. I employ but 9 people. These tax cuts help Me a great deal as well as put more $$ in my employees pockets. I was able to buy 7 brand new trucks and a bunch of much needed equipment. You obviously know Nothing about what a corporate tax cut means for all business. You sound like you just brushed up on ur fake news! Sorry I can’t explain this to you for like I said I’m done w this thread. If I were to reply that’s probably what I’d say. In addition I believe our latest spending bill is an absolute disaster. Other than the fact our soldiers all got a well needed raise for doing all they do for all of us. Our military should be our #1 priority and I’m very happy to see them get the respect and support they have been lacking for too long. Ps. It makes me fall over in my chair when a Liberal even can spit the word fiscal responsibility. I guess you didn’t notice the absolute Enormous debt we are in from ur messiah ( Previous President). I’m sorry I can’t explain that to you, really wanted too.

chris jones 105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I love my cheap Chinese equipment but I love my country a whole lot more.. We have been taken advantage of for far to long in international trade and I for one am more than willing to pay the 25% tariffs to hopefully change the current unfair practices in world trade
O ya I don't want anything in or around my reef from China o no...

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcwhng ,

The only difference in the majority of congress from both parties it the nature of their whine. Neither party has learned to govern from the middle but are both off in their respective ditches taking shots at the other. This is not how government ran when I was a kid. I remember JFK seeking the GOP to pass a little thing called the 1964 Civil Right Act. JFK's own party would not touch Civil Rights due to the make up of the party at that time. Now that was an example of government from the middle of the road not either ditch. Time for the return of statesmen and stateswomen to governance. Not Ultra rights or Ultra lefts. This will only ensure our mutual distruction.

By the way fiscal conservatives do not exist in public office today. If so a balanced budget would be in place and we would not spend more than we brought in via tax and other revenue. You can be a fiscal conservative and belong to either party.

We have let minor issues from the fringe of society determine public policy for to long and we have reaped the benefits of that wrong headed governance. Time to seek for the best good of the majority of people without ignoring important issues of personal freedom and freedom of choice. There is a balance but we have lost our balance.

Now back to picking on China lol.
I absolutely agreee with you. I come from a perspective of a first generation immigrant family that came to this country with nothing and through hard work and education made something of ourselves. I just find it increasingly discouraging and distasteful to hear obviously radicalized viewpoints from either wings of the two major political parties. And I’ve just seen the same thing happening on this thread! This country used to stay on a middle course so the majority of its citizens would benefit in the present and future. Insulting people who do not necessarily agree with one viewpoint of anything is just another symptom of what I see as wrong with this country right now.

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The US would never have had an economy worth mentioning without tariffs as the money would have continued to be spent in Europe and elsewhere.

I'm not sure this is 100% true and I think economists are still mixed on whether tariffs help or hurt developing economies. The US also was not some little podunk nation, in 1790 the US population was about 4 million, as compared to Britain which was 8 million. And the US did just beat Britain in a war (granted a defensive war, but a victory nonetheless). Tariffs or not, the early US was a fast growing nation and especially the south was producing tons and tons of value. So while the tariffs helped kick-start northern manufacturing, it did hurt the economy of the south as they had to pay more for their goods. With the full view of history this seems like a good trade-off, but a lot of that has to do the issue of slavery and not the economics of the nation.

And also while those early tariffs were undoubtedly protectionist, their primary purpose was definitely to raise money. Back in those days people had a very negative view of taxes, what with the whole “no taxation without representation” thing (which in itself was sort of propaganda --- the colonists actually paid very little taxes). So if you are forming a new central government and need to raise money, it is a heck of a lot easier to collect that money at ports from the traders coming in than it would be going town to town collecting taxes from the people. And the first domestic tax the new government did pass, the whiskey tax, didn't go over so well, which is why the federal government continued to collect most of its money through tariffs for the next ~120 years.

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it will stop China from stealing everyone’s products. Competition is great but when you copy other company’s products and sell it for half the price. Some thing needs to be done about it. And they steal everything.

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The In-Shoring trend started after the recent depression. Yes I said In-Shoring meaning Jobs coming back from overseas, at least for the Auto sector. All thanks to Oil prices and things like Takata air bags.The cost to ship was more than the cargo also Quality and liability are concerns and need to be controlled and I see it more and more. The cost to tool a factory to accommodate all markets and that country's regulations then ship to those destinations then add tariffs make that undesirable so now those co's build them locally for that market. FCA went to Guatemala for wire harnesses to take advantage of NAFTA even tho the country is unstable.
FYI..My Auto plant was part of the WWII machine that retooled in under 6 months Due to the Skilled Manufacturing and Skilled trades workforce. That is not possible today this country is loosing those skills and talent. In fact their is a major shortage of skilled tradesman. Our plant alone has about 30 openings that are unfilled and have lowed their requirements for employment....SIX figures anyone?...This all started about 5-6 years ago and the new Tariffs will only bolster that trend if done delicately.....So their lie's the problem.

Yup but hopefully it’s not to late to start training the younger generation so we can keep it going. We need to start alert apprentice programs again.

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I’m done w this thread. My reply to u would be..... I own a small s Corp. I employ but 9 people. These tax cuts help Me a great deal as well as put more $$ in my employees pockets. I was able to buy 7 brand new trucks and a bunch of much needed equipment. You obviously know Nothing about what a corporate tax cut means for all business. You sound like you just brushed up on ur fake news! Sorry I can’t explain this to you for like I said I’m done w this thread. If I were to reply that’s probably what I’d say. In addition I believe our latest spending bill is an absolute disaster. Other than the fact our soldiers all got a well needed raise for doing all they do for all of us. Our military should be our #1 priority and I’m very happy to see them get the respect and support they have been lacking for too long. Ps. It makes me fall over in my chair when a Liberal even can spit the word fiscal responsibility. I guess you didn’t notice the absolute Enormous debt we are in from ur messiah ( Previous President). I’m sorry I can’t explain that to you, really wanted too.

The income tax cuts are worthless and they lowered the amount of mortgage interest and state tax that can be deducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back