What is a Fish That You Love but No One Talks About

ahopki1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The French Angel. I had mine for years until she literally outgrew the FOWLR tank (dinner plate). She was so docile and would eat from my hand. I donated her to the Denver Aquarium and she is now on display in the Restaurant. A year after, I took my grandkids for lunch and we sat on the floor in front of the tank to talk fish. She swam right up to me and hung out until I got up and left. Amazing experience that brought me to tears. Photo from internet
1671722608480.jpeg

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know that no one talks about the Long-nose but it’s a cool fish that not everyone has in their Reef.
0D03BD92-4EFF-4ECB-9AE7-C1E97C6F7F5C.jpeg
The long nose is one of my favorite looking fish!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Japanese not looking as nice, and the behaviour is certainly to be expected considering the family they’re in.

Personally, my favourite hawkfish is the LyreTail or SwallowTail Hawk, Cyprinocirrhites polyactis. It’s up there on my wish list of fish for sure. P.S. Not my photo however this is extremely close to looks in person as I have had this species in a 7’ tank with several other hawks when working in the LFS.
2CD49677-C905-416B-AB2B-FDFA8B4C6954.jpeg
Isn’t that the Hawkfish that by Liveaquaria they second named the Anthias Hawkfish?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majestic Angelfish.. anyone know of a more beautiful fish? I’d like to see it. Mine (Neptune) has attitude and is super hardy. Got mine at 3” and is 5” now. The bottom pic shows a scar near the tail that was a 1” open gash that happened one day when I was cleaning the tank. Makes mine unique but I call him ‘boof head’ because he is super clumsy. Boss of the tank even though the PT thinks it is lol

2BECA6BC-C724-4C5E-B469-AC1DEA265A9B.jpeg
9E3F9D76-06AC-49F6-836D-E7B6AE9DDCA1.jpeg
That was once my favorite Angelfish! I so wish I could keep one.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this guy with no tail?
That just makes him/her extra special. Frankly, to me, when a fish has a deformity or missing something (as long as it’s not taking a toll on its health) I find myself compelled to them lol.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems off there - not far off from when people amputate tails of blood parrots because it “looks cool.”
Sometimes there's genetic issues that lead to missing parts on fish, but more likely the tail got bitten off when it was younger and it survived the ordeal. I remember seeing pictures in a book, Kuiter's butterfly book, where butterflies often get chunks taken out of non-vital areas of their body when young but survive, growing to look very strange.

Had to pull it off to shelf to find it but here it is.
IMG_1811.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does say wild caught
I know it does - just seems suspect that it would be born that way.
Sometimes there's genetic issues that lead to missing parts on fish, but more likely the tail got bitten off when it was younger and it survived the ordeal. I remember seeing pictures in a book, Kuiter's butterfly book, where butterflies often get chunks taken out of non-vital areas of their body when young but survive, growing to look very strange.

IMG_1811.jpeg
That makes sense - the initial pic looks like it was from an injury.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1811.jpeg
I mean that’s what the Tailspot is for. It served its purpose and saved the fish.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1811.jpeg
Kinda neat though that they still grow up just fine even though they have a deformity like that

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starry blenny. I will never have a tank without one. I call them the dogs of the fish tank. very food motivated lol
They kind of remind me of gem tangs except it's a blenny instead

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grabbed a few - took a bit for him to cooperate (learned pretty fast that food comes at the top of the tank and doesn’t like to leave).
05E716A5-BEA8-4DE1-8275-F24612B7FE3B.jpeg
2A742432-8C84-4671-8A78-F8D9A17FA2D6.jpeg
0892BA89-F1EA-430C-968F-D7BB180BC9A3.jpeg
E9D3F7B3-62BB-47A7-8B34-38361BF16C27.jpeg

He’s a captive bred one - and has a birth defect where his head is a little crooked.
Not as flashy as some of the other fang blennies, but the black definitely stands out.
Had six in my previous display. Very cool fish especially how they find a place to lay in for sleeping, then return to it every night. Mine mostly used the magnetic bases of the jebao gyres. Each having its chosen spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back