What is everyone's favorite blenny?

Bob Wiley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle Blenny. They are tiny, perch, peaceful and faster than the blink of an eye.

Here's ours —

1613101550768.jpeg

1613101501008.jpeg

motzCOreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tailspot blenny seems perfect but I can't find it anywhere. It's sold out on every store online and I visited like all 15 LFS in my area with no luck. I've been looking for ~4 months too. Any thoughts on the best blenny for me?
I just picked up a tailspot blenny near Denver about a month ago.
20210203_173143.jpg

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackhead, aka Carmine blenny.

From Mediterranean Italian waters.
Bright solid cherry red body with green/black blotches on head.

Next choice is Tesselated.

Charlie C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas is my first blenny ever. LFS recommended it. Had it for 2 weeks and very pleased. Nice looking, likes to come out, gets alone well with other fish. And swims more like an eel than my other fish.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also vote Midas. They like a hole to go into. Mine goes into it then turns around and sits there with just his head out. He'll come out and swim around for a while then go back to his hole to watch the tank activity. Fun to watch.

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations on a blenny - I want a lively, active fish w/ some personality, that doesn't grow too big. I've been thinking of a lawnmower blenny, midas blenny, or starry blenny. The tailspot blenny seems perfect but I can't find it anywhere. It's sold out on every store online and I visited like all 15 LFS in my area with no luck. I've been looking for ~4 months too. Any thoughts on the best blenny for me? It would need to be peaceful as it would live with some clownfish, royal gramma, firefish, and YWG.
Midas all the way. They are beautiful golden color. They will find a hiding spot, but come out in the middle of the day once they get used to u. They are jumpers tho so u need a lid

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do different types of blennies get along? I.e. can I have multiple blennies in the same tank? Cool little guys, I've never had one.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been on the hunt for a Lawnmower blenny or Starry Blenny but one with personality. If darts away and hides at the LFS when I am looking into the holding tank I will pass every single time. Past experiences with these fish is what I am looking to replicate. Using this method always had me caring for a really outgoing and interactive fish that every one always talked about over other fish that are way more colorful in my tank.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love my Tongan Golden Sailfin Blenny. Beautiful gold color and red outline on her body. Have to get a good picture of her.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do different types of blennies get along? I.e. can I have multiple blennies in the same tank? Cool little guys, I've never had one.
Its generally not recommended, but we have a Striped Blenny and a Molly Miller together in our 90 gal. They are different body types and the Molly lives in the rocks and is pretty stationary while the Striped is a very active swimmer, cruising from top to bottom and all corners of the tank. Never a conflict with these guys.

BlueBekaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to lawnmower blennies. They're probably the ugliest fish you'll keep but they have tons of personality. Really good with algae control too, took care of my early tank uglies pretty quick so make sure you train them to eat nori or some other herbivorous food.

Postullio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize tailspot so hard to find right now. Must have gotten lucky my last had one about a month ago. Took a few weeks to come out of his shell but great fish now. Funny to watch him eat hair algae as he swims around with the long pieces hanging out of his mouth

Postullio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize tailspot so hard to find right now. Must have gotten lucky my last had one about a month ago. Took a few weeks to come out of his shell but great fish now. Funny to watch him eat hair algae as he swims around with the long pieces hanging out of his mouth
*LFS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back