What is Going on Here?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That's what I was told it was.
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of LFSes, hobbyists, and even importers misname or misidentify things (though mistaking a chalice for a candy cane seems kinda strange). Though to be fair even common names can be overly broad and do a disservice to hobbyists, especially those new to the hobby. For example, even classifying something as a ‘chalice’ doesn’t really tell you much about what a coral is or what kind of care it needs, a chalice could be from 4-5 different genera, and could be any one of potentially tens or even hundreds of different species that can naturally live in very different types of conditions. And don’t even get me started on the useless cancer that is the designer ‘name game’.

All that said, I realize that it’s a lot to learn, and I know it overwhelming when you’re new to the hobby. I’ve been reefing over 20 years and I learn new stuff (and unlearn wrong stuff) pretty much daily. I’d recommend getting some books (though be careful with some older ones, a lot of info in terms of husbandry has changed and a lot of coral species/genera have been reclassified), getting just a general idea of what types or classes of corals that are out there will help you at the LFS and help you to plan out your tank.

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of LFSes, hobbyists, and even importers misname or misidentify things (though mistaking a chalice for a candy cane seems kinda strange). Though to be fair even common names can be overly broad and do a disservice to hobbyists, especially those new to the hobby. For example, even classifying something as a ‘chalice’ doesn’t really tell you much about what a coral is or what kind of care it needs, a chalice could be from 4-5 different genera, and could be any one of potentially tens or even hundreds of different species that can naturally live in very different types of conditions. And don’t even get me started on the useless cancer that is the designer ‘name game’.

All that said, I realize that it’s a lot to learn, and I know it overwhelming when you’re new to the hobby. I’ve been reefing over 20 years and I learn new stuff (and unlearn wrong stuff) pretty much daily. I’d recommend getting some books (though be careful with some older ones, a lot of info in terms of husbandry has changed and a lot of coral species/genera have been reclassified), getting just a general idea of what types or classes of corals that are out there will help you at the LFS and help you to plan out your tank.
Thanks again. I think this might be called a "Bubblegum" Chalice. Sounds sweet. Maybe that's how I was confused. Candy Cane, Bubblegum...yikes! You're right about the common name game craziness.

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back