What is on my tangs?

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, apologies for the long post but I can’t find anything on these white bullseye markings on multiple tangs. I have 2 tanks, both have been running 2 years just about. Mixed reef and the fish are thriving. Parameters are ideal. Recently I purchased a convict tang for my bigger 165 gallon waterbox. I had a convict tang in there for over a year, the healthiest fish I ever owned. It could eat 24 hours a day if it wanted and would swim into my hand to play. I thought since they are known to school with other convicts I wanted to add another. As soon as I added the larger Convict, my other Convict ruthlessly attacked him. They chased eachother nonstop. I put up a tank divider where they can view each other and it stopped. 3 days later I removed it but they went back at it. I removed the new convict and put him in my other 100 gallon waterbox for a temporary home. He died over night. Then 5 hours later my other convict who I owned for over a year died in my 165. They both had bruise like circles on their bodies. Now my two other tangs (Vlamigii and Tomini) both have this large white circle with a dot in the middle. It looks like a white bullseye. These are extremely healthy fish that ruled the tank and now my vlamingii is not as active and swimming low to the ground. They eat, but slower than usual. Are these battle wounds from when I put the new convict in for a temporary home? Did they fight in the night? No aggression that I inspected that night before he died the following morning. I’m very confused, these are fish i don’t want to lose and can’t find a positive ID on what this mark is. Any advice? Thank you for helping in advance.

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it would be awesome if you could get a clear picture under white light. If you can calculate (I know difficult) - the respiratory rate. All good

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be awesome if you could get a clear picture under white light. If you can calculate (I know difficult) - the respiratory rate. All good
No problem, the operculum opened and closed 64 times in 30 seconds. That’s as accurate as I can get using my eyes and a 30 second timer.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, the operculum opened and closed 64 times in 30 seconds. That’s as accurate as I can get using my eyes and a 30 second timer.

That is a pretty good rate (128/minute)

From what I could see of the lesion, I'm leaning towards an injury - probably from the scalpel of other tangs. It is pretty rare for one tang to actually up and kill another tang with its scalpel though.

Jay

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty good rate (128/minute)

From what I could see of the lesion, I'm leaning towards an injury - probably from the scalpel of other tangs. It is pretty rare for one tang to actually up and kill another tang with its scalpel though.

Jay
Thank you for your response Jay. Is this a death sentence or will she heal within time and extra feedings?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response Jay. Is this a death sentence or will she heal within time and extra feedings?

I can't really say - each fish's recovery is different. There are no vital organs in the fish at that location, so that's a good thing.

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back