What is the best light spectrum percentage?!

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hipargero 100w 5 channel spectrum light for my aqueon standard 29 tank so it’s 18 inch tall the tank. I have mixed corals, torch, hammer, birdsnest, zoa, acan, gsp, Duncan… when I set up the light schedule, for the full ramp portion, I can choose the percentage of each color spectrum. Does anyone know a good combo for this mixed reef? And maybe how high the light should be from the tank as a bonus? Lol
Spectrum colors or 5 I can adjust are:
14000K cold white
450nm deep sea blue+457nm Dark Blue
430nm indigo blue
410nm violet, 420nm purple
3000K warm white and 6500K neutral white

so basically I’m asking what percentage would be best for each, and also each spectrum individually is out of 100. It’s not an all 5 percentages have to add up to 100 deal. So for example all channels can be 80%.
Thank fellas!

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they did, I just wasn’t sure if it was reputable enough to stick to so I’m getting opinions. Don’t want too much light messing with the fish either so that’s why I asked how high a 100w light should be, I know it sounds stupid I’m sorry

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they did, I just wasn’t sure if it was reputable enough to stick to so I’m getting opinions. Don’t want too much light messing with the fish either so that’s why I asked how high a 100w light should be, I know it sounds stupid I’m sorry
Your concerns are not stupid at all. You absolutely should be worried about overlighting your livestock. Too much light could bleach or kill the coral. If you were not worried, that would be stupid.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to estimate PAR based on only the watts consumed by a light fixture. In order to find an answer to your questions you would have to find someone with your exact light who also has a PAR meter who can take measurements.

Some lights are very widely used, so finding such a person is relatively easy. Based on the lack of responses that you're getting in this thread, it appears that the fixture that you own isn't very widely used. That will make it very difficult to find someone who has tools and data to help you.

I'm guessing that you'll ultimately end up needing to either blindly guess and hope you don't kill anything while you tune the color and strength of the lights by eye, or try to get your hands on a PAR meter and take the measurements yourself.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For what it is worth, there isn't a "best" per se, it depends on livestock. You have a mixed reef so you will have to be cognizant of placement, since SPS will want more lighting.

All that being said, from what I've read, the best spectrum to emulate is the AB+ settings which have a ratio of 1 to 4 with whites being the one. So for example, if you have your blues and indigo set to 80, then set your cold and warm whites to 20. They should be 1/4 of whatever number your blues are.

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your concerns are not stupid at all. You absolutely should be worried about overlighting your livestock. Too much light could bleach or kill the coral. If you were not worried, that would be stupid.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to estimate PAR based on only the watts consumed by a light fixture. In order to find an answer to your questions you would have to find someone with your exact light who also has a PAR meter who can take measurements.

Some lights are very widely used, so finding such a person is relatively easy. Based on the lack of responses that you're getting in this thread, it appears that the fixture that you own isn't very widely used. That will make it very difficult to find someone who has tools and data to help you.

I'm guessing that you'll ultimately end up needing to either blindly guess and hope you don't kill anything while you tune the color and strength of the lights by eye, or try to get your hands on a PAR meter and take the measurements yourself.
Yeah I figured that much, thank you

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, there isn't a "best" per se, it depends on livestock. You have a mixed reef so you will have to be cognizant of placement, since SPS will want more lighting.

All that being said, from what I've read, the best spectrum to emulate is the AB+ settings which have a ratio of 1 to 4 with whites being the one. So for example, if you have your blues and indigo set to 80, then set your cold and warm whites to 20. They should be 1/4 of whatever number your blues are.
That’s a good start, much appreciated

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back